Author Topic: Tengen Gauntlet cart is an unplayable buggy mess  (Read 4069 times)

razorbeamz

Tengen Gauntlet cart is an unplayable buggy mess
« on: April 07, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »
My Tengen Gauntlet cart is a buggy mess. I've opened it up and cleaned it, but it still won't play correctly. The title screen works great, and all of the sprites are flawless, but the levels are messed up beyond playability. You can't pick up keys, and you can walk through random walls. It's literally unplayable.

To be fair, I haven't ever tested it on NES hardware. I only have a Retron 3 at the moment and no real NES. Is Tengen Gauntlet known to not properly work on non-official hardware? Or is it known for the carts to be finnicky?
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

thecrypticodor

Re: Tengen Gauntlet cart is an unplayable buggy mess
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:42:31 pm »
Yeah gauntlet is one of those games that usually isn't compatible with NES clone hardware.

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:21 am »
Yeah gauntlet is one of those games that usually isn't compatible with NES clone hardware.

This is true.  I have it and it does not work with the Yobo I have.  It does the same thing it is doing to you.  You need the actual hardware to run it properly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:40:15 am by ffxik »

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:31:44 pm »
Yeah, for some reason Gauntlet doesn't work correctly on clone hardware, which is sad because it's spectacularly good. There's an embarrassing "review show" video on YouTube of some doofuses trying to play it on a Retron or something. Of course, it looks glitched out and they can't figure it out and just pass it off as a horrible game.