Author Topic: PS2 makes loud grinding noise when playing some blue disc games  (Read 11240 times)

razorbeamz

Whenever it loads on some blue disc (CD based) games, especially Half-Life and Tetris Worlds (but weirdly not Tekken Tag Tournament) my PS2 makes a very loud grinding noise. It doesn't scratch the discs and it doesn't affect the loading, but the noise is unsettling. Anyone know what's causing this?
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

thecrypticodor

Re: PS2 makes loud grinding noise when playing some blue disc games
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:56:53 pm »
The ''grinding'' sound you are hearing it the disc losing traction and slipping when the spindle motor tries to spin it up. I don't know exactly why this happens with the blue CD format PS2 discs, maybe they're thinner than the latter DVD format PS2 games. There's nothing really you can do to permanently fix it on the PS2's side. 

Some people put tape around the inner diameter of the disc to artificially thicken the disc to improve traction. However I wouldn't use anything but electrical tape to do this as it shouldn't stick on the disc hard enough to damage the label when trying to remove it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:01:08 pm by thecrypticodor »

razorbeamz

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 08:30:42 pm »
Well it can't be just the discs, because my brother's PS2 plays them just fine.

scott

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:17:50 pm »
Its the drive. I had a PS2 running blue discs that did the same thing. I rarely play my blue disc games anymore.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

thecrypticodor

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »
Well it can't be just the discs, because my brother's PS2 plays them just fine.
If his PS2 is a fat it will eventually have the problem. There's a rubbery coating on the spindle motor that wears down overtime and it causes a loss of the grip on the disc. On the slims the disc snap tightly into place onto the spindle motor so they don't have this problem.

dreama1

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 10:07:45 pm »
What's blue disc?

karyann

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:13:09 am »
What's blue disc?

Some PS2 games are blue instead of silver under the disc. I believe the blue ones are CDs while the silver ones are DVDs.

Like so:

dreama1

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:27:37 am »
What's blue disc?

Some PS2 games are blue instead of silver under the disc. I believe the blue ones are CDs while the silver ones are DVDs.

Like so:

Are the blue ones launch titles?

razorbeamz

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 09:06:51 pm »
Not all of the blue ones are launch titles. Some of them are just titles that used less data and didn't need to be on a DVD.