Author Topic: The Wii U is a failure?  (Read 17729 times)

Re: The Wii U is a failure?
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »
Yeah, this thread exists on many forums across the internet. The Wii U, a failure?!? Not really. I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions. The Vita, neither. They both have great potential. Developers could do really cool things with the U pad, and the Vita too, but they're either too lazy or too broke to do them.
I really think the vita is bouncing back the playstation 4 is really helping it.

I kinda wish people stop saying that....  "Vita bouncing back because Playstation 4 is helping"  No.   >.< THAT IS So UNTRUE.

Reason why PS Vita is bouncing back. have you read/heard about the list of Announced/Released PS Vita games for this year SO FAR... IT AMAZING!!!!.  It like if you combined last three years of PS3 JRPG games and released them all IN 1 year.

That why PS Vita is going crazy in number of sales.... in last 4 months they announced over 10+ JRPGs

Remote Control is just a plus for PS Vita.   The Real reason more PS Vita just doubled in last couple months is the announcements for releases of alot of japanes games that should had been imported over 1-2 years ago
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »
Yeah, this thread exists on many forums across the internet. The Wii U, a failure?!? Not really. I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions. The Vita, neither. They both have great potential. Developers could do really cool things with the U pad, and the Vita too, but they're either too lazy or too broke to do them.
I really think the vita is bouncing back the playstation 4 is really helping it.

I kinda wish people stop saying that....  "Vita bouncing back because Playstation 4 is helping"  No.   >.< THAT IS So UNTRUE.

Reason why PS Vita is bouncing back. have you read/heard about the list of Announced/Released PS Vita games for this year SO FAR... IT AMAZING!!!!.  It like if you combined last three years of PS3 JRPG games and released them all IN 1 year.

That why PS Vita is going crazy in number of sales.... in last 4 months they announced over 10+ JRPGs

Remote Control is just a plus for PS Vita.   The Real reason more PS Vita just doubled in last couple months is the announcements for releases of alot of japanes games that should had been imported over 1-2 years ago

It also doesn't hurt that when I buy (or get free from ps plus) a PS3 game they often come with the PSVita version for free.

I currently have 12 vita games and I don't even own the system!

These are good games too (at least on PS3). I've been seriously considering getting a vita just because of the number of games I already have for it.

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2014, 01:12:16 pm »

It also doesn't hurt that when I buy (or get free from ps plus) a PS3 game they often come with the PSVita version for free.

I currently have 12 vita games and I don't even own the system!

These are good games too (at least on PS3). I've been seriously considering getting a vita just because of the number of games I already have for it.

Exactly the Playstation + is the best thing ever created.  I get free games on PS4/PS3/PS Vita but best part of this as well.  Is that i can hold off on buying physical copy for lil bit longer >.> but i buy one eventually, most likely when it at lowest cost possibile.
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

dreama1

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2014, 03:26:08 pm »

Well it was a combined attack for sony. With the remote play, and pack in vita bundle with the ps4. Aswell as the recent push in games for the vita. It's still not even close to the 3ds.

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2014, 10:12:02 pm »
By Nintendo's normal standards, yes. Compared to other consoles on a whole, no. It's doing okay, but not great, from what I can tell. It's selling, but not like hotcakes like Nintendo is used to.

It seems to be enough to have Nintendo worried, though. They're looking to branch-out to smart-phone games, from what I've read.
Smart phone games? Ohh god trainwreck, trainwreck.. They should be trying to get more games like bayonetta 2. I heard in the UK it's sales is less than 1% of what the ps4 sold.

Financial failure?  Probably. Unless something drastic happens, it's a flop.

Failure as a system?  Absolutely not. It's a real fun system. The gamepad is a cool feature that could be put to good use. I love mine. It gets way more playtime than my 360 or PS3.
This post is the best description of the Wii U's "failure". It's a great idea that just never took off.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »
I'm sure I'm in the minority. But I am totally burned out with shorter, prettier, newer, online, next gen.

My SNES, NES, and Genesis have seen the most action in the past 6 months. Just beat Ducktales 2 with the boy. Been playing the hell out of Battletoads (nes) and maxed out my mix tapes on Double Dragon NEON (ps3). Wayforward is doing a great job bringing back old favorites. DDN and Ducktales Remastered are excellent.

I continue to have no interest in ps4 or Xbox one. WiiU i am mildly interested in mainly because of NES Remix.

Most newer games are simply too short and too complicated. But maybe I am just getting old.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:21:40 pm by dashv »

dreama1

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:11 pm »
I'm sure I'm in the minority. But I am totally burned out with shorter, prettier, newer, online, next gen.

My SNES, NES, and Genesis have seen the most action in the past 6 months. Just beat Ducktales 2 with the boy. Been playing the hell out of Battletoads (nes) and maxed out my mix tapes on Double Dragon NEON (ps3). Wayforward is doing a great job bringing back old favorites. DDN and Ducktales Remastered are excellent.

I continue to have no interest in ps4 or Xbox one. WiiU i am mildly interested in mainly because of NES Remix.

Most newer games are simply too short and too complicated. But maybe I am just getting old.
No you're not alone. If anyone got to play real retro games then got offered modern. I think 90% would take the retro. The fun factor is superior because the ethics of those days were different, and focused on what mattered the games.

« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:07 pm »
I'm more modern leaning myself.  A lot of my favorite games these days simply don't exist on retro systems, things like Metro, STALKER, Fallout (Lots of Post Apocalyptic lol), so for me, there's plenty to enjoy with modern, but there's of course good retro stuff. For me, it's probably 75% Modern/25% Retro in terms of playing.

blipcs76

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2014, 10:04:27 am »

Wii U doesn't get the same type of games the other consoles get; Nintendo still focuses on simplicity and fun over online multiplayer and 'mature' games.  Super Mario 3D World is amazing.  It's got several fun challenging 2D sidescrollers like Rayman Origins, New Super Mario Bros U/Luigi U, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (not including the stuff on the eShop, which has a lot of retro-style games like Mighty Switch Force 2, Giana Sisters and the upcoming Shovel Knight.)

The system is probably not going to have a huge and robust library like the PS/XB systems will, but what they will have is wonderful first party games that make the system worth owning.  I couldn't imagine going through a console generation and not being able to play Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros, etc.

argyle

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2014, 12:28:01 pm »

No you're not alone. If anyone got to play real retro games then got offered modern. I think 90% would take the retro. The fun factor is superior because the ethics of those days were different, and focused on what mattered the games.

I know some people prefer retro games, but saying 90% would is stretching it quite a bit I think.  Personally, I grew up on those systems you mentioned and the entire time I was dreaming about what they would one day be able to do.  That day is now, they can do pretty much everything I imagined a quite a bit I never even thought of.  The thought of spending any significant amount of my gaming time playing old NES games is just unthinkable to me.

I'm not saying there aren't some great older games - Super Metroid and LttP are two of my all-time favorites.  But to me, the old games that stand the test of time are few & far between. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dreama1

« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »

I know some people prefer retro games, but saying 90% would is stretching it quite a bit I think.  Personally, I grew up on those systems you mentioned and the entire time I was dreaming about what they would one day be able to do.  That day is now, they can do pretty much everything I imagined a quite a bit I never even thought of.  The thought of spending any significant amount of my gaming time playing old NES games is just unthinkable to me.

I'm not saying there aren't some great older games - Super Metroid and LttP are two of my all-time favorites.  But to me, the old games that stand the test of time are few & far between.
Maybe your just playing the wrong ones lol. But no serious I guess you're right there's certain amount of prejudice towards old school games in the younger folk. Shame when they sit and play there call of duty they will never have an idea of what they missed out on.

Well see that's my problem I don't see I don't see the point in hoarding games that I would never play, NES games just aged terribly, and I can say this because I never grew up with one so I have no bias. And I played some master system games that I had never played before, and I found it very fun to play still. So i'm going to say the problem is unique to NES, and atari games. From the people i've spoken to who owned an atari back then they didn't even play those games for long anyway. Try out some pc engine games, and see if you find them fun on a emulator that console is what people should be talking about today not the overhyped NES. Market success isn't everything.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:37:45 pm by dreama1 »

dreama1

« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2014, 10:46:08 pm »
I'm more modern leaning myself.  A lot of my favorite games these days simply don't exist on retro systems, things like Metro, STALKER, Fallout (Lots of Post Apocalyptic lol), so for me, there's plenty to enjoy with modern, but there's of course good retro stuff. For me, it's probably 75% Modern/25% Retro in terms of playing.
I suppose there's a few exceptions. But a video game hasn't truly impressed me in atleast 4 years. Back in the 90s a no name developer could release a game, and make profit without even getting the loyalities. Now most can't even afford to advertise there game let alone turn a profit. So what you get are a few big players left who have monoplised things for the most part selling the same crap what sells, not what drives creativity, and original video games. But there's a few still around that get through the cracks still.

« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2014, 02:22:18 am »
I suppose there's a few exceptions. But a video game hasn't truly impressed me in atleast 4 years. Back in the 90s a no name developer could release a game, and make profit without even getting the loyalities. Now most can't even afford to advertise there game let alone turn a profit. So what you get are a few big players left who have monoplised things for the most part selling the same crap what sells, not what drives creativity, and original video games. But there's a few still around that get through the cracks still.

It wasn't really any different back then either.  Tons of bad sequels, tons of sequels that really didn't add a lot more to the original game, shitty, shitty, games made by developers who don't know any better, games just being made to see what would stick, there was A LOT of that back then.  Nowadays it's just done at different budget levels with larger gaps between the big guys and small guys.  I'm regularly finding amazing games every year or at least every other year.  Some genres are doing better than others for sure, but I feel there's plenty of good in the modern market.  It just needs to hurry up and sort out all the sketchy stuff that's cropped up in the past few years involving microtransactions, free to play, and rushed development times.

argyle

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2014, 10:02:28 am »

It wasn't really any different back then either.  Tons of bad sequels, tons of sequels that really didn't add a lot more to the original game, shitty, shitty, games made by developers who don't know any better, games just being made to see what would stick, there was A LOT of that back then.  Nowadays it's just done at different budget levels with larger gaps between the big guys and small guys.  I'm regularly finding amazing games every year or at least every other year.  Some genres are doing better than others for sure, but I feel there's plenty of good in the modern market.  It just needs to hurry up and sort out all the sketchy stuff that's cropped up in the past few years involving microtransactions, free to play, and rushed development times.

Exactly.  People look on past generations with rose-colored glasses and forget all the bad stuff.  This is even easier for younger generations that weren't around when these systems were big - I clearly remember rental store shelves being full of commercialized shovelware based on every mascot imaginable - the 7-Up Spot, Crash Test Dummies, the Noid - you name it.  Every corporation had to have a game based on their brand/movie/whatever, and quality was not high on their list of priorities. 

It's also easier to look at the horrible games and think "well everyone knows Deadly Towers and Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde suck" and not realize that when we were kids no one DID know that until they bought (for $50....) or rented them.  I'd say the bad games of those generations are worse than the majority of the bad games on systems today - at least bad games today typically work, back then that wasn't even a guarantee.  And no, this isn't a Nintendo vs Sega or whatever thing, it was the same across the board. 

THEN you had the shoddy arcade ports that we settled for because that was the best you could get at the time.  I bought my SNES for Street Fighter II - I had been a big C64 / Amiga gamer for a while, not owning a console since I sold my NES to buy my C64, and that game is what brought me back.  And it was fun, but still a far cry from the arcade.  Having an arcade perfect port at home was unheard of back then, and it was something I remember my friends and I constantly talking about in a "wouldn't that be AWESOME" kind of way.  When I first played Soul Calibur on the DC then went & played the arcade version I was floored - the home version was vastly superior to the arcade.  We had arrived. 

So yeah, it's not that I haven't played the right games.  I played anything I could get my hands on as a kid because my options were limited.  It's more the fact that I've already lived through all of that and I don't have any desire to go back.  Like kamikazekeeg said, a lot of my favorite games today were not even remotely possible on old systems.  I remember being frustrated with point & click adventure games, because I couldn't pick up whatever I wanted and get by the situations however I imagined.  Now we have the Elder Scrolls & Fallout games where you can pick up anything that isn't nailed down and think up creative solutions to problems.  And it's only getting better.

If you haven't been impressed by a new game in the past 4 years, I'd say YOU were playing the wrong games.  :)  But I still think it's mostly a matter of not being able to truly appreciate what we have now if you didn't live through what it was like then. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2014, 03:18:02 pm »
If you haven't been impressed by a new game in the past 4 years, I'd say YOU were playing the wrong games.  :)

This I wholeheartedly agree with. So many people are stuck in the past and cant see past the nostalgia of the NES or the Genesis or whatever to realize that some of the stuff now is vastly superior to anything even a few years older. And no, its not just graphics. Options and game play are top notch on some of these titles too as well as the visuals.