Author Topic: The fine art of game boxes  (Read 3492 times)

dreama1

The fine art of game boxes
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:24:14 pm »
What system do you like the game box most for? There's alot don't be shy  ;D

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:36:31 pm by dreama1 »

dreama1

Re: The fine art of game boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:41:57 pm »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:45:01 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:53:44 pm »
It's tough to say.  Just going by the boxes themselves and less about art, I love Sega Genesis and Master System plastic boxes, cause those are durable as hell.

I also love the big glass CD cases, so Saturn and Sega CD.  They are big, they have a nice inside to them, they really stand out visually I think.

Playstation also with their long boxes for the early days are great, but I feel their quality is lesser to that of Sega's.  Look good though.

Nowadays, the best stuff are the limited editon metal tins they have for different systems.  Those ones are pretty great, usually have unique cover art.  I don't have a lot of these myself, though I have it for PS2 Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy XII, and Halo 2.

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:03:07 pm »
It's tough to say.  Just going by the boxes themselves and less about art, I love Sega Genesis and Master System plastic boxes, cause those are durable as hell.

I also love the big glass CD cases, so Saturn and Sega CD.  They are big, they have a nice inside to them, they really stand out visually I think.

Playstation also with their long boxes for the early days are great, but I feel their quality is lesser to that of Sega's.  Look good though.

Nowadays, the best stuff are the limited editon metal tins they have for different systems.  Those ones are pretty great, usually have unique cover art.  I don't have a lot of these myself, though I have it for PS2 Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy XII, and Halo 2.

What's that sonic the hedgehog 4 wtf?

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:15:55 pm »
What's that sonic the hedgehog 4 wtf?

I think it's just some custom thing someone made, I used it because I wasn't finding pictures I liked for showing the box lol

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:45:15 pm »
I can't decide, but probably N64. I also like Sega CD and the initial black and white grid Genesis format.

soera

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 11:24:22 pm »
I like the black and white SMS grid boxes. They look awesome all together. I like the look of Sega CD/Saturn but their actual durability is horrible. I also prefer the blu-ray size boxes for the PS3.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:41 am »
I'm a big fan of Sega Genesis boxes due to their durability, and the fact that most people actually kept them unlike classic Nintendo boxes which seemed like you were supposed to toss them.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 01:31:35 am »
I'm a big fan of Sega Genesis boxes due to their durability, and the fact that most people actually kept them unlike classic Nintendo boxes which seemed like you were supposed to toss them.

It feels like that for most cardboard boxed game stuff.  I'll find the cd cases for everything from Playstation, to Dreamcast to Sega CD, but I'll be damned if I'm finding boxed NES, Game Boy, or N64 lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 02:39:22 am »
For artwork alone, NES boxes. There was no set guideline to where stuff could be placed. So there was a large variety out there in NES box-art that I liked. A lot of the time, the artwork was cooler than the game inside.

But for durability, they suck.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 10:32:50 am »
I like the Master System boxes.  They're tough and that silly grid looks cool. Then there is some pretty funny art on some of them.  Look at Pro Wrestling.

As far as art goes, black box NES games are my favorite.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »
dream1 is that your collection??

I so want that Command & Conquer Sega Saturn!!!

dreama1

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 03:35:18 pm »
dream1 is that your collection??

I so want that Command & Conquer Sega Saturn!!!
No I wish lol. I'm extremely picky with  games, most of the time only get exclusives.

Yeah command and conquer is really good on saturn. Best home console version. Just really wish they ported red alert 1 to the saturn aswell with the lan play.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:46:10 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 01:32:18 am »
I love the ps1 long boxes and of course Saturn cases. I also love the uniformity of turbo grafx games with the color-coded nature of some of their games.
Artwork alone though Neo Geo, so much room that the artists could really do whatever they wanted. Just take a look at KOF 98, it's a party scene with all the characters dressed up. It doesn't advertise the game but it's neat nonetheless

dreama1

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 02:17:14 am »
I love the ps1 long boxes and of course Saturn cases. I also love the uniformity of turbo grafx games with the color-coded nature of some of their games.
Artwork alone though Neo Geo, so much room that the artists could really do whatever they wanted. Just take a look at KOF 98, it's a party scene with all the characters dressed up. It doesn't advertise the game but it's neat nonetheless
Yeah you feel like you're holding something serious when you hold a neo geo game. So big shame so expensive.