Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 233632 times)

abe

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #1080 on: June 06, 2016, 01:26:05 pm »
We need to draw a line somewhere. This thread is for Japanese games, not Western games of any kind. We already decided to make a compromise and say that any Japanese games are fair game here now, and not just the obscure ones. We don't need to stray farther from the original purpose of the thread.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

desocietas

« Reply #1081 on: June 06, 2016, 01:35:04 pm »

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero will be published physically on PS4™, "PSVita", and Wii U this fall in a special "Risky Beats" retail release packaged with a musical selections CD containing over 20 songs from the game's soundtrack, with each offered at a suggested retail price of $29.99.

While I love the Shantae series and I'm happy to see that this one is getting a physical release, this isn't even remotely Japanese and does not belong in this thread. Wayforward (the developer) is very much American.

Sorry, feel free to remove or ignore for the sake of the list. Just got notice of those items from XSEED, so I thought I'd drop it here to let folks know.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #1082 on: June 06, 2016, 02:06:58 pm »
We arent straying from the purpose of this thread ... which imo is to inform people of non dude bro games that are coming out that arent going to be fully promoted like all the shooters/sports games. If anything, we should take the word "Japanese" out of the title.

desocietas

« Reply #1083 on: June 06, 2016, 04:05:33 pm »
I can understand either side. I personally am for whatever Argyle decides as he's the original creator of this thread :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1084 on: June 07, 2016, 08:59:45 am »
Just got notice of those items from XSEED, so I thought I'd drop it here to let folks know.

I think that something announced from XSeed would belong in this thread. The game may not originate from Japan, but XSeed is definitely more of a niche developer.

I'm actually surprised to see so much FFXV coverage on here since the FF series is so mainstream. But, eh, no big deal either way.

argyle

« Reply #1085 on: June 07, 2016, 09:27:54 am »
Just got notice of those items from XSEED, so I thought I'd drop it here to let folks know.

I think that something announced from XSeed would belong in this thread. The game may not originate from Japan, but XSeed is definitely more of a niche developer.

I'm actually surprised to see so much FFXV coverage on here since the FF series is so mainstream. But, eh, no big deal either way.

FWIW, I don't mind if you guys mention indie or other niche stuff in the thread, but I don't plan on adding any of that to the OP. If I started trying to track indie games as well it would be completely unmanageable, not to mention once again too long for the boards to handle. I think that's a fair compromise - point out that stuff in the thread because I agree, many of us will be interested in those as well (I am looking forward to that Shantae release myself :) ).

As for FFXV we pretty much decided to just call all JRPGs niche for the sake of this thread. Otherwise we were starting to get into arguments over whether some series were or were not niche and that is DEFINITELY not what I started the thread for! This is a drama-free zone! ;D

EDIT:  Oh! And I just got an email saying that Persona 5's official release date is 2/14/17! Did NOT expect that! I'll live, but my wife will be most unhappy over this news.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:17:22 am by argyle »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #1086 on: June 07, 2016, 01:29:11 pm »
Funny that my newsfeeds did not blow up about Persona 5 the same way it did for FFXII's remaster. I'm going to be giving my social media friends a hard glare  :-X

I'm happy to wait until Valentine's Day next year! I'd rather they not rush the release, and I'm not the sort who gets upset about delays. After all, I buy games much faster than I can play them, so waiting is good for me!

That Morgana plush is too cute!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #1087 on: June 07, 2016, 01:55:40 pm »
Double post for actual announcements for the west:

Akiba’s Beat (PS4/Vita, Winter 2016, physical releases)
Fate/Extella (PS4/Vita, Winter 2016; Japanese audio only, physical releases)
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (3DS, 2017, physical release)
Summon Night 6: Lost Borders (PS4/Vita, Q1 2017; physical releases)

:o
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:25:36 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1088 on: June 07, 2016, 03:03:25 pm »
It feels like the PS2 era all over again with all of these great games coming out!

desocietas

« Reply #1089 on: June 07, 2016, 03:16:53 pm »
It feels like the PS2 era all over again with all of these great games coming out!

It's really pretty remarkable personally. I'm most surprised about the Vita support. I haven't really been collecting for it actively, especially when there's a PS4 version available, but its physical library is really rounding out to include some amazing titles.

I'm starting to rethink the Vita these days, so maybe it's a good thing that my bf picked up another PSTV for cheap last night. I didn't understand why he wanted us to have a second one, but he reminded me that only one account can be active on it at a time, so whenever we want to switch off on playing it, we have to reset the system every time to set the PSN account -___- (sigh, Sony).
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

argyle

« Reply #1090 on: June 07, 2016, 03:48:24 pm »
Double post for actual announcements for the west:

Akiba’s Beat (PS4/Vita, Winter 2016, physical releases)
Fate/Extella (PS4/Vita, Winter 2016; Japanese audio only, physical releases)
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (3DS, 2017, physical release)
Summon Night 6: Lost Borders (PS4/Vita, Q1 2017; physical releases)

:o

:o :o

OK, *NOW* I'm finished with this week's update! :P It was a big one this week, plus I went through the undated games and did a little housecleaning. There were several digital only games that had already released, some of them quite a while ago (I don't have a good way to track the smaller digital only releases, any suggestions are welcome). Also some that had dates listed on GS that I went ahead and added (dates that looked legit, not obvious placeholder dates).

Also with Summon Night 6, GaijinWorks is going to do a limited edition bundle sold directly from them (they are the ones handling the localization). It's not up yet, but they said they'd have details on it after E3 so I'll try to keep everyone posted.

I agree, it's feeling VERY PS1/PS2 era up in here - matter of fact, I just made that comment earlier today in response to an article about a Square-Enix game, because they in particular are on-point these days. Last gen was a transitional gen for them and they had a hard time adjusting to hi-def game development (as many Japanese devs did from my understanding). But it looks like it's all smooth sailing for them now - their upcoming lineup is stellar, and they keep adding to it! ;D
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

desocietas

« Reply #1091 on: June 07, 2016, 03:59:31 pm »

Also with Summon Night 6, GaijinWorks is going to do a limited edition bundle sold directly from them (they are the ones handling the localization). It's not up yet, but they said they'd have details on it after E3 so I'll try to keep everyone posted.

Thanks so much for keeping up with all the info, Argyle!  Yeah, I saw that they mentioned a LE, which is pretty impressive considering that it always feels like they're barely getting things together and out for these last few limited releases.  However, I was impressed with the quality of Summon Night 5's final product, and I don't care that much about timeliness of launches as long as they come through in the end.

I've heard Summon Night 6 is pretty good, so I'm glad to hear it's coming over (and getting some royal treatment)!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

argyle

« Reply #1092 on: June 07, 2016, 04:22:28 pm »

« Reply #1093 on: June 07, 2016, 04:26:45 pm »

kashell

« Reply #1094 on: June 08, 2016, 08:54:46 am »
That's really exciting about Summon Night 6. I doubt I'll get it, but it's neat to see so much TLC for a series that ended on such a disappointing note with Summon Night: Twin Age.

EDIT: And like others have said, huge shout out to Argyle for taking care of this thread.