Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 233383 times)

kashell

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #1125 on: July 07, 2016, 09:26:26 am »
Is Tokyo Twilight for the PS4 a remake or a sequel?

argyle

« Reply #1126 on: July 07, 2016, 12:06:16 pm »
Is Tokyo Twilight for the PS4 a remake or a sequel?

Port w/ added content.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #1127 on: July 07, 2016, 12:19:26 pm »
Great work, argyle! Looks like Psycho-Pass's LE is available outside of NISA's store, FYI. I saw a lot of folks excited about Tokyo Xanadu - I'm definitely curious about it now. Had never heard of it!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #1128 on: July 07, 2016, 12:28:20 pm »
Funny you mention the psycho pass LE. I sent a message to NISA asking why would I want to order the one from them when I can get it at the same price from Gamestop without having to pay shipping ... they never responded to me. I love NISA and really had hoped they would have offered me free shipping or announced a reason to order the LE from them. A lot of their LEs are definitely exclusive to them and end up with free shipping. Psycho pass is like $5 less than their limit for free shipping and cause of that, its like $10 more than the GS version.

argyle

« Reply #1129 on: July 07, 2016, 12:38:04 pm »
Great work, argyle! Looks like Psycho-Pass's LE is available outside of NISA's store, FYI. I saw a lot of folks excited about Tokyo Xanadu - I'm definitely curious about it now. Had never heard of it!

Thanks, made that change. Weird thing is I knew that, because I have the LE preordered from Amazon for my wife. :P 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

desocietas

« Reply #1130 on: July 07, 2016, 01:42:54 pm »
Funny you mention the psycho pass LE. I sent a message to NISA asking why would I want to order the one from them when I can get it at the same price from Gamestop without having to pay shipping ... they never responded to me. I love NISA and really had hoped they would have offered me free shipping or announced a reason to order the LE from them. A lot of their LEs are definitely exclusive to them and end up with free shipping. Psycho pass is like $5 less than their limit for free shipping and cause of that, its like $10 more than the GS version.

Yeah, I'm running into that issue, too. I want to get the Phantom Brave PC collector's edition, but it's under the free shipping limit. I thought about adding the Psycho Pass LE, but it'd technically be cheaper in the end for me to get it from GameStop (because of my bf's discount).  I'm torn. Kinda hoping that they announce something else that's NISA-exclusive to bundle it all together.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #1131 on: July 08, 2016, 11:16:16 am »
I dont know if its a mistake or an accident leak or something ... but RPGfan has this : http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2016/5015.html. The very last sentence says " Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana comes out on PS4 in Japan on July 21st and next year in the West. " Ummm omg. If this is legit, Im going to do some Kashell level of squeeling for sure.

kashell

« Reply #1132 on: July 08, 2016, 12:01:47 pm »
I hope that's true. Ys VIII would be wonderful.

argyle

« Reply #1133 on: July 08, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »
I agree, Ys VIII is one of the main games I've been hoping for a localization announcement on.

Now a question - I've been considering adding a mention to the games that are digital only in the US but have an Asian English physical release. Is this something you guys would be interested in?

necrosexual

« Reply #1134 on: July 08, 2016, 04:29:39 pm »
I agree, Ys VIII is one of the main games I've been hoping for a localization announcement on.

Now a question - I've been considering adding a mention to the games that are digital only in the US but have an Asian English physical release. Is this something you guys would be interested in?

won't speak for everyone but i would be.
esp vita titles.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

desocietas

« Reply #1135 on: July 08, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »

esp vita titles.

I'm curious as well. Importing games would be cool, but I don't know enough of any language outside of English to be able to read anything right now. Asian English physical releases would be of interest to me!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #1136 on: July 09, 2016, 09:46:08 pm »
Im under pretty good notion that NISA is going to announce another game next month : http://badlandindie.com/anima-gate-of-memories/

argyle

« Reply #1137 on: July 11, 2016, 12:41:17 pm »
esp vita titles.

I'm curious as well. Importing games would be cool, but I don't know enough of any language outside of English to be able to read anything right now. Asian English physical releases would be of interest to me!

K, I'll see if I can work them in when I update the main post tomorrow. In a meantime, here are the upcoming/recent releases I'm aware of:

Gundam Breaker 3
Platforms: PS4, Vita
Release Date: Out Now
Editions: Asia-English Standard

This one was not released in the US in any form.

The Asterisk War: Phoenix Festa
Platforms: Vita
Release Date: 7/26/16
Editions: **digital only**, Asia-English Standard

This one is coming to the US digital only later this month. Looks to be a simultaneous release, so odds are the English translation will be the same in the Asian version as it is in the localized version.

Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers
Platforms: PS4
Release Date: 8/5/16

Another one that isn't coming to the US at all, probably due to the insane licensing that would have to be done to cover all the different franchises the mechs are from. A turn based strat-RPG, looks really good.

Super Robot Wars V
Platforms: PS4, Vita
Release Date: TBA 2017

Still pretty far out, but doubtful this one will reach the US for the same reason as the previous one...

Moe Chronicle

From what I can tell there is no planned US release of this one. At any rate, this will get you the uncensored version in English on a physical cart for pretty close to what you would pay for it if it did release in the US, even including shipping.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Force
Release Date: 7/12/16 (US), Out Now (Asia)

Another one we're getting digital only.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
Platforms: PS4

And another US digital-only release. My copy just shipped yesterday. :)

There are more, these are just a few recent stand-outs. There are also some that don't strictly fall under the purpose of this thread but might still interest some, so I'll just post those in the thread as I see them (and not include them in the main post).  Those are indie titles - not Japanese developed, but often offered as physical releases in Japan/Asia when they aren't over here. I've imported Shadow of the Beast earlier this year & have Alien Nation (Housemarque PS4 title) on the way now. I also grabbed a Japan English CE of Skullgirls: 2nd Encore earlier this year for around $60.

A few things to know for anyone new to importing: The PS4, PS3 & Vita are region free. So you can play these games without needing to mod anything - just pop it in & play. If you're interested in DLC, you'll have to make an account from the region of the game & purchase/download it using that account. This isn't difficult, and there are guides online to help you if you run into trouble. You might need a guide if you setup a Japanese account, but for a HK account it's all in English so it's pretty straight forward. Just look up a HK address when you get to that part, doesn't matter what it is. On the PS4, make sure you set the option that says the system your on is the primary system for that account. Note that this doesn't mean the HK/JP account is YOUR primary account. What this does is allow you to see any content downloaded from these accounts when you're signed into your primary US/UK account.

As for where to get them, I always order from Play-Asia - they have great customer service and very reasonable prices. They have even created a section recently that's devoted to English Asian releases, so they're easy to find. Here's the link: http://www.play-asia.com/games/asia_english_games/14/712bl

I have also ordered from Ebay occasionally, most recently with Skullgirls. Your quality of service will of course vary depending on the seller, but from my experience just pick a seller w/ a ton of positive feedback & you should be fine.

When it comes to shipping, with Play-Asia they offer 2 options: cheap ($5-ish) and good ($15-ish). Don't be cheap. With the $15 shipping you get tracking info and most importantly you'll receive your games just a few days after they ship. If you go cheap, expect to wait a month or longer. And no tracking.

One last note, right now there is a code for Play-Asia that will save you $3 - "gematsu". And whenever you order from them you will receive a one-time use coupon for $5 off your next order of $60 or more. That coupon is usually good for about a month after you receive it. If you're like me, you'll find something else before the month is up that you want to order. :P

If I missed anything, or anyone has any other questions (or advice if anyone else has experience importing) feel free to share! :)

desocietas

« Reply #1138 on: July 11, 2016, 03:28:15 pm »
Nice! Makes me wonder if we should have a sub-forum just about upcoming games so we can have different threads devoted to different upcoming titles on particular platforms or genres.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #1139 on: July 16, 2016, 01:34:43 am »
Next week the pre-orders for Summon night 6 will be available!