Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 233574 times)

argyle

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #1260 on: October 11, 2016, 12:18:34 pm »
Hrm, oh well. Someone joined my party for completing all of those quests. :)

A decent update this week with quite a few date announcements.

Y'know, I maintain this list for two reasons really - one, I really do enjoy helping people discover games they might not have otherwise. But the second reason is more selfish - doing this helps ME come across games I wouldn't have otherwise known about. :P  There's a couple I want to draw special attention to.

I added a couple of little games a couple months back, both Natsume releases - a sequel to River City Ransom called River City: Tokyo Rumble for the 3DS and a remastered port of the SNES classic Wild Guns for the PS4 called Wild Guns: Reloaded. Neat, but not huge announcements. I was personally gonna keep an eye on the 3DS game, since it was the first to release, and see if I could catch it around $20 or less. Both of these games retail for $30, but I'm cheap. ;)

A week after RC:TR released, I noticed Amazon proper no longer had it for sale. They weren't just sold out & had promoted a third-party seller while they restocked, they were not available as a seller option period. I thought this was pretty odd for such a new game. Gamestop never even listed it, which is also odd - and if they don't list it, there's no way the bigger brick & mortar retailers (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.) will. So I decided maybe waiting on this one wasn't such a good idea & started looking. People that were selling it - those 3rd party Amazon sellers, ebay, etc. - were already starting to charge more than the retail price for it. Luckily I found it at a site I discovered earlier this year, www.videogamesplus.ca. This is a fantastic site, highly recommended - they're up in Canada, but have great shipping prices to the US (free shipping right now when you spend $30 US or more) and their game prices are very reasonable as well. They also tend to carry lots of niche & import games, and even seem to get the occasional reprint that no one else does (I've bought reprints of the first PS3 Hatsune Miku as well as Infinite Space for the 3DS from them so far).

Anyway, Wild Guns: Reloaded comes out on Nov. 15, and it's looking even worse this time. Amazon doesn't have a listing for it at all, and of course neither does Gamestop. But VGP does, for $30. So I say all of that to say this - if you have any interest in either or both of these games, act now. It looks like they're getting incredibly small print runs. And regardless, check out VGP - I've ordered enough from them now to fully recommend them, and they're quickly becoming the first place I look for more obscure games.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #1261 on: October 11, 2016, 02:31:54 pm »
A week after RC:TR released, I noticed Amazon proper no longer had it for sale. They weren't just sold out & had promoted a third-party seller while they restocked, they were not available as a seller option period. I thought this was pretty odd for such a new game. Gamestop never even listed it, which is also odd - and if they don't list it, there's no way the bigger brick & mortar retailers (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.) will. So I decided maybe waiting on this one wasn't such a good idea & started looking. People that were selling it - those 3rd party Amazon sellers, ebay, etc. - were already starting to charge more than the retail price for it. Luckily I found it at a site I discovered earlier this year, www.videogamesplus.ca

I know exactly what you mean. I just figured I'd get it eventually, but even though I check Natsume's twitter all the time, I didn't even *know* they were putting out a physical release until after it had sold out (after just a few hours, apparently?). Anyway, they posted this soon after:

http://natsume.com/community/showpost.php?p=159939&postcount=1

TL;DR version: They're printing more and will sell through Amazon. It'll come with the Kunio keychain, which isn't available with orders from other vendors.

I've been annoyed with Natsume lately and how they're handling sales. They keep saying they're going to put things up in their "Amazon store" but never have a link to what that actually means. Then they have a store on their regular company site that I assume is unrelated? So confusing.

And then there's Harvest Moon: Skytree Village... I was planning on skipping this release or waiting to pick it up when it was cheap, but then they announced a few plush bundles. I'd be interested in the blue bird or bobcat plush bundle, which they also said would go up on their "Amazon store," but there has been no information about it. There's no listing on Amazon, and they haven't been advertising the bundles despite the game coming out in a month. I just cancelled my NISA LE order for it because I'd rather have the plush, but with the weird marketing they've been having lately just puts me off from the whole thing.

Anyway, I agree that VGP is good. I've bought a few things from them, and I haven't had an issue! Sometimes things might be a little pricier than I want to pay, but everything is sealed and arrives flawless.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1262 on: October 11, 2016, 03:01:30 pm »
I'll have to check that website when I get home since it's blocked on my work computer. Sad face.

Thanks for the updates, you two!

argyle

« Reply #1263 on: October 12, 2016, 10:26:33 am »
A week after RC:TR released, I noticed Amazon proper no longer had it for sale. They weren't just sold out & had promoted a third-party seller while they restocked, they were not available as a seller option period. I thought this was pretty odd for such a new game. Gamestop never even listed it, which is also odd - and if they don't list it, there's no way the bigger brick & mortar retailers (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.) will. So I decided maybe waiting on this one wasn't such a good idea & started looking. People that were selling it - those 3rd party Amazon sellers, ebay, etc. - were already starting to charge more than the retail price for it. Luckily I found it at a site I discovered earlier this year, www.videogamesplus.ca

I know exactly what you mean. I just figured I'd get it eventually, but even though I check Natsume's twitter all the time, I didn't even *know* they were putting out a physical release until after it had sold out (after just a few hours, apparently?). Anyway, they posted this soon after:

http://natsume.com/community/showpost.php?p=159939&postcount=1

TL;DR version: They're printing more and will sell through Amazon. It'll come with the Kunio keychain, which isn't available with orders from other vendors.

I've been annoyed with Natsume lately and how they're handling sales. They keep saying they're going to put things up in their "Amazon store" but never have a link to what that actually means. Then they have a store on their regular company site that I assume is unrelated? So confusing.

And then there's Harvest Moon: Skytree Village... I was planning on skipping this release or waiting to pick it up when it was cheap, but then they announced a few plush bundles. I'd be interested in the blue bird or bobcat plush bundle, which they also said would go up on their "Amazon store," but there has been no information about it. There's no listing on Amazon, and they haven't been advertising the bundles despite the game coming out in a month. I just cancelled my NISA LE order for it because I'd rather have the plush, but with the weird marketing they've been having lately just puts me off from the whole thing.

Anyway, I agree that VGP is good. I've bought a few things from them, and I haven't had an issue! Sometimes things might be a little pricier than I want to pay, but everything is sealed and arrives flawless.

That's nuts. I guess the keychain would have been nice, but honestly at this point I'm just happy to have the game in my hands.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

soera

« Reply #1264 on: October 12, 2016, 10:46:37 pm »
Not sure if someone else had already mentioned this, but I just heard about this CE today:
http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/steins-gate-0-ps4-amadeus-edition-collectors-edition

I am disappointed with this cause the shipping is almost $50. I asked them what the deal is a while back with the shipping costs on this and they basically just said "thats what we are going to do now". So I immediately canceled my orders with them.

desocietas

« Reply #1265 on: October 13, 2016, 12:26:36 am »
I am disappointed with this cause the shipping is almost $50. I asked them what the deal is a while back with the shipping costs on this and they basically just said "thats what we are going to do now". So I immediately canceled my orders with them.

Hm, it was a flat $30 for me for tracked shipping. I don't like the high shipping either, but with no tax and the total price being about something I pay these days for a CE anyway... I went ahead and bit the bullet on it because I missed the NA version of the first Steins;Gate. From what I looked up, it also looks like they were having a lot of issues with untracked shipping :/
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

argyle

« Reply #1266 on: October 13, 2016, 03:40:06 am »
In case anyone else is an insomniac like me (or if by some chance it's still available in the morning), the UK CE of Tales of Berseria is now up for preorder from Game. Came to about $115 shipped to the US for me. Set is pretty close to the US set, with a few swaps - I really like the coins this one comes with more than the rubber keychain things in the US set. Metal case design looks much better, but from what I can tell it's not an actual Steelbook. And no novel, but separate art book & mini strat guide. Plus it's a lot cheaper. ;)  Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.game.co.uk/en/tales-of-berseria-collectors-edition-1693210

kashell

« Reply #1267 on: October 13, 2016, 08:53:57 am »
Thanks for the information, argyle! I'll probably stick with the NA version. I have a feeling that I'd lose those coins for some reason. @_@

2017 is looking bright! That game will be here soon.

davifus

« Reply #1268 on: October 15, 2016, 05:23:37 pm »
I'm a little confused. Both Rc & wild gun are getting an amazon restock? Should I just get them at VGP to be safe?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

desocietas

« Reply #1269 on: October 19, 2016, 12:14:19 pm »
I'm a little confused. Both Rc & wild gun are getting an amazon restock? Should I just get them at VGP to be safe?

Wild Gun hasn't gone up for sale yet while RC did but is pretty much sold out in most places. Supposed to get a restock on Amazon but no news yet. If you don't care about the keychain and you can get it from VGP, that's a safe bet.

In other news, physical CE of Atelier Shallie Plus is up at the NISA site. I really don't want the goodies since they seem to be the same as the CE swag for the PS3 version but I want the exclusive physical version of ASP. Physical version is limited to the CE only; digital otherwise.

Available in EU and NA:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:43:31 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1270 on: October 19, 2016, 03:24:22 pm »
Wh-wh-what?! I thought that was for Europe only.

EDIT: Just checked. Holy hell...this is awesome. I missed out on the original Shallie CE and regretted it. *insta purchase*

desocietas

« Reply #1271 on: October 19, 2016, 03:36:48 pm »

EDIT: Just checked. Holy hell...this is awesome. I missed out on the original Shallie CE and regretted it. *insta purchase*

Yay! I bought it, too, even though I'm getting dupe swag most likely. But I like to give love to Vita, and they need to stop making the plus versions digital-only. At least this way, I'll have it as a physical cartridge.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1272 on: October 19, 2016, 03:55:03 pm »

Yay! I bought it, too, even though I'm getting dupe swag most likely. But I like to give love to Vita, and they need to stop making the plus versions digital-only. At least this way, I'll have it as a physical cartridge.

Nice! I put that and the new Tohou game on the same order since I don't want to pay for shipping.

Fun fact: Shallie+ comes out the same day as Tales of Berseria. *sigh* Ramen Noodles for the next few months...

desocietas

« Reply #1273 on: October 19, 2016, 04:03:57 pm »

Nice! I put that and the new Tohou game on the same order since I don't want to pay for shipping.

Fun fact: Shallie+ comes out the same day as Tales of Berseria. *sigh* Ramen Noodles for the next few months...

I was tempted to add the Touhou game(s) for free shipping but it just doesn't look like it'll be my sort of thing. Awesome CE, though!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

ffxik

« Reply #1274 on: October 19, 2016, 05:38:05 pm »

I offered to sell you one of the 3 I had at cost...