Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 235354 times)

soera

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #1515 on: August 08, 2017, 12:03:38 pm »
I ordered one from Gamestop. There is a pre-order keychain. Also picked up one from Bandai with the discount code.

azure

« Reply #1516 on: August 08, 2017, 01:00:44 pm »
Ohh that's a nice looking CE. Missed out on the Wizard's Edition so hope there are no problems with this pre-order.

kashell

« Reply #1517 on: August 08, 2017, 01:37:12 pm »
Dayum. That's a very fancy looking CE!

« Reply #1518 on: August 08, 2017, 02:23:13 pm »
Saw this today and got a chuckle

desocietas

« Reply #1519 on: August 08, 2017, 03:31:17 pm »
Saw this today and got a chuckle

Haha, picked one up from all three venues but will likely cancel one or two. That keychain is a must have though.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #1520 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:24 pm »
Is Chaos;Child something along the lines of Steins;Gate? Also, what's with the choice in using semicolons in titles...? :-\

In any case, Amazon has that up for preorder and Rice Digital has an exclusive CE.

I own a few kinda VN games but don't know what to start with. Any suggestions for a VN newb? I tried one of the Hakaouki games back in the day but didn't really "get" it, but I think it's because I assumed there'd be gameplay. The VN-esque games I've tried so far are:
  • Hatoful Boyfriend
  • Danganronpa 1
  • various adventure games like 999, Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, etc

I own a few already, like Steins;Gate and Psycho Pass but wasn't sure if I should start elsewhere. There are so many coming out these days, it's hard to keep up!

whoooooooooboyyy let me tell yah that the "timeline structure" emphasis on timeline structure is a very complex and sometimes doesn't make sense. This is worse than Zelda's timeline fiasco.

Just know that Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, and Robotic;Notes [you didnt mention but just including it] are all part of the same "universe" in simple term. It gets more complicated if you want to dive further into it with "world line" and stuff with IF's and But's.

List of VN I rec.
- Any Key VN - Little Buster, Clannad, Rewrite
- Grisaia no Kaijitsu [This one is a bit long] - My FAV VN of all time
- Fate/Stay Night [in the long side]
- Katawa Shoujo
- Muv-luv
- Steins;gate [of course]

that all i can think of off the top of my head.

Great - thanks for all the info, @kashell and @davifus! I saw another game tweeted out today with another semicolon in it's title so I finally looked up what that was all about. Had never heard of the Science Adventure series, so it's nice to finally be able to put a name to all of it outside of saying "the games with the semicolons"   :-[

I think I own Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters and a few other VNish items, but sounds like Steins;Gate might be a good place to start in regard to the Science Adventure franchise? I'll have to find a copy of Hakouki, too, to try again.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1521 on: August 09, 2017, 04:02:58 pm »
Just a quick word of warning about Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters. It has some very bizarre systems that do not get properly explained in the game's tutorials. I'd highly suggest looking at some supplemental material before you to start just to get some idea of what you're in for. @.@

desocietas

« Reply #1522 on: August 09, 2017, 04:33:36 pm »
Just a quick word of warning about Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters. It has some very bizarre systems that do not get properly explained in the game's tutorials. I'd highly suggest looking at some supplemental material before you to start just to get some idea of what you're in for. @.@

Good to know! Do you know if these systems were based on a previous game in a series?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1523 on: August 09, 2017, 04:50:13 pm »

Good to know! Do you know if these systems were based on a previous game in a series?

Hmm...now that I'm not sure about. With the battles, the closest thing I can compare it to would be Vandal Hearts II. You and your enemies move at the same time. So in essence, you need to predict where the enemy is going to stop moving and attack. If you miss an attack in TTGH, then there is a chance that the ghost will smack your team and your whiff will knock over some furniture. Knocking over furniture causes you to lose money. You can set traps and wards on the battlefield before the fight begins, but there is still lots of guess work involved.

During the VN sequences, you'll often times be given a wheel that has five icons representing actions. The icons aren't very clear. After selecting an icon, another wheel representing the five senses will appear. During certain story events, you need to select the right two combinations in order to activate your "sixth sense" wheel. It can get really confusing; a guide is almost mandatory for these.

This is a game I really wanted to like, but all of it's out-of-left field design choices turned me off from it after the second chapter.

I hope this helps.

desocietas

« Reply #1524 on: August 09, 2017, 06:01:36 pm »

Hmm...now that I'm not sure about. With the battles, the closest thing I can compare it to would be Vandal Hearts II. You and your enemies move at the same time. So in essence, you need to predict where the enemy is going to stop moving and attack. If you miss an attack in TTGH, then there is a chance that the ghost will smack your team and your whiff will knock over some furniture. Knocking over furniture causes you to lose money. You can set traps and wards on the battlefield before the fight begins, but there is still lots of guess work involved.

During the VN sequences, you'll often times be given a wheel that has five icons representing actions. The icons aren't very clear. After selecting an icon, another wheel representing the five senses will appear. During certain story events, you need to select the right two combinations in order to activate your "sixth sense" wheel. It can get really confusing; a guide is almost mandatory for these.

This is a game I really wanted to like, but all of it's out-of-left field design choices turned me off from it after the second chapter.

I hope this helps.

Whoa, crazy, this game sounds a lot more involved than I expected, haha. Thanks - I'll keep it in mind!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

azure

« Reply #1525 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:41 pm »
My friend got TTGH because it was dirt cheap on Amazon or something like that. When the base version initially released I wanted to like it, but from reading all the stuff I did I was really turned off by it. After watching him attempt to play it, first hand, the gameplay seems like a mess when it didn't need to be.

argyle

« Reply #1526 on: September 15, 2017, 12:23:18 pm »
Wow, finally an update!  :o

Sorry for the looong delay - I can't tell you how many times I've started this update & got busy elsewhere and couldn't finish. Odds are I missed something, so if you see something that's wrong or missing just lmk! :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #1527 on: September 15, 2017, 01:27:23 pm »
Wow, finally an update!  :o

Sorry for the looong delay - I can't tell you how many times I've started this update & got busy elsewhere and couldn't finish. Odds are I missed something, so if you see something that's wrong or missing just lmk! :)

Thank you for all your hard work! <3 Only thing I noticed was that Collar x Malice already came out :)

For those of you who may have picked up Ys VIII (or plan to in the future), the launch DLC stuff is available now on PSN until Oct 17. Get it while you can:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/search/f=%5Eys%2Bviii%7Cbucket~games%7Cprice~asc
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:31:55 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1528 on: September 15, 2017, 03:59:26 pm »
Sweet! Thanks for the updates Argyle and Lady D.

I'm going through Ys VIII right now, so some free DLC sounds nice.

argyle

« Reply #1529 on: September 19, 2017, 06:26:19 pm »
OK, weekly updates back on track.  8)

Took care of Collar x Mallice, and ironically there was another game that released on the same day that I hadn't given a date to/moved to the archives - the English import of DJ Max: Respect. 

Added a few new ones & had several new release dates.  Seriously, can someone tell the Japanese devs to lay off of the end of January???  Ni no Kuni 2, Lost Sphere & Monster Hunter: World all come out within a week's time!  :o  And if anyone is also picking up Dissidia NT, it's only 4 days after MH:W. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis