Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 233532 times)

argyle

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #1560 on: November 30, 2017, 06:30:41 pm »
Well, I did it. I finally pre-ordered my first Switch game.

I'm looking forward to playing Atelier Lydie both at home and on the go!

I doubt you'll regret it, it's a great little system that's really starting to work up a lot of support, notably from some big Japanese developers.

Oh, and update!  :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #1561 on: November 30, 2017, 07:16:23 pm »

I doubt you'll regret it, it's a great little system that's really starting to work up a lot of support, notably from some big Japanese developers.

I agree - I was having a bit of an argument with a friend about Atlus's choice to put SMTV on Switch only. He said Atlus is losing out on money by not putting it out on PC and PS4, and I said it's just a business decision and goes with the series in general (usually have been on handhelds with exception of Nocturne). He's the sort who doesn't have a Switch and poo-poos it for its "bad specs," but honestly the console is very solid. If the game had come out on PS4, people would've been clamoring for it to come out on the Switch. It's too niche to come out on multiple platforms, imo.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #1562 on: December 01, 2017, 04:57:44 pm »

I agree - I was having a bit of an argument with a friend about Atlus's choice to put SMTV on Switch only. He said Atlus is losing out on money by not putting it out on PC and PS4, and I said it's just a business decision and goes with the series in general (usually have been on handhelds with exception of Nocturne). He's the sort who doesn't have a Switch and poo-poos it for its "bad specs," but honestly the console is very solid. If the game had come out on PS4, people would've been clamoring for it to come out on the Switch. It's too niche to come out on multiple platforms, imo.

I thought there was like unwritten law within gamers that nobody picks on Nintendo about graphics/spec/FPS. Sounds your friend is being a big jerk about it. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:07:41 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

desocietas

« Reply #1563 on: December 01, 2017, 08:15:55 pm »
I thought there was like unwritten law within gamers that nobody picks on Nintendo about graphics/spec/FPS. Sounds your friend is being a big jerk about it.

Haha, if there is, he doesn't know about it! I always say that specs are not Nintendo's way to getting to the top of gamers's wishlists. The games themselves are.

He keeps comparing the Switch to a cellphone in regard to specs but gets upset because the games he wants are exclusive to Switch. I didn't have high expectations when it was first announced but have been happy with it since getting my hands on one.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #1564 on: December 03, 2017, 07:18:17 am »
The Switch is a magnificent system, literally my only complaint is the lack of an achievement/trophy system.  It may be petty, but for a game like Yonder, which I loved by the way, I would've spent half the time I did on that game if it weren't for the trophies.

telly

« Reply #1565 on: December 04, 2017, 08:39:29 am »
The Switch is a magnificent system, literally my only complaint is the lack of an achievement/trophy system.  It may be petty, but for a game like Yonder, which I loved by the way, I would've spent half the time I did on that game if it weren't for the trophies.

I agree. Playing Batman on my Wii U gets me bummed out that there aren't any trophies. They're fun to collect and show off!
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

azure

« Reply #1566 on: December 04, 2017, 12:36:24 pm »
https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/secret-of-mana-only-at-gamestop/156840

So it looks like a physical version of the SoM remake is a Gamestop exclusive? Anyone know anything about this?

« Reply #1567 on: December 04, 2017, 12:58:38 pm »

So it looks like a physical version of the SoM remake is a Gamestop exclusive? Anyone know anything about this?
Ya, was announced earlier.

Limited retail release through Gamestop exclusively.  No word on if EU gets a retail release.

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/secret-mana-ps4-limited-quantity-physical-edition-announced-americas

azure

« Reply #1568 on: December 04, 2017, 01:11:42 pm »

Ya, was announced earlier.

Limited retail release through Gamestop exclusively.  No word on if EU gets a retail release.

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/secret-mana-ps4-limited-quantity-physical-edition-announced-americas
Great, I try to avoid GS when possible.

kashell

« Reply #1569 on: December 04, 2017, 01:22:24 pm »
Le sigh. For Secret of Mana, I'll do what it takes. Still...I was hoping for a quick and easy Amazon pre-order.

UPDATE: And it has been pre-ordered. I had a nice chat with the guy behind the counter to boot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:23:40 am by kashell »

azure

« Reply #1570 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:33 am »
I went ahead and pre-ordered as well, since it is physical. Never played any "Mana" games, but the gameplay looks fun.

kashell

« Reply #1571 on: December 05, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »
I went ahead and pre-ordered as well, since it is physical. Never played any "Mana" games, but the gameplay looks fun.

Well, if you're interested in getting your feet wet with the series...

I think Secret of Mana has aged well, so I definitely recommend that.

Sword of Mana is a remake of the first Mana game/Final Fantasy Adventure. It gets a lot of flack, but I think it's an enjoyable little game.

Secret of Mana 2 is usually regarded as the best. It's a great game and has the highest replay ability. Another one that I highly recommend.

I'd avoid Dawn of Mana and Heroes of Mana. Neither of them are fun; both for their own reasons.

Children of Mana is the Mana game I recommend when you run out of other games in the series to play.

Legend of Mana is another fun one, but it doesn't feel like it's a part of the Mana universe.

azure

« Reply #1572 on: December 05, 2017, 01:54:21 pm »
*snip*
I actually ended up reading through the Wiki on my break getting familiar with all the games in the series yesterday. I appreciate the feedback from a fan though. I'm drawn to Sword of Mana, being on the GBA and all. It also seems to be a remake of sorts to the first game in the series from what I understand. So my question is, should I play these bad boys in order?

kashell

« Reply #1573 on: December 05, 2017, 03:30:18 pm »
*snip*
I actually ended up reading through the Wiki on my break getting familiar with all the games in the series yesterday. I appreciate the feedback from a fan though. I'm drawn to Sword of Mana, being on the GBA and all. It also seems to be a remake of sorts to the first game in the series from what I understand. So my question is, should I play these bad boys in order?

Yep. Sword of Mana is a complete overhaul of Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure. It generates a fair amount of backlash, but I enjoyed it. It can be finished in about 10 hours, so it's not a major time sink.

I think playing them in release order would serve you well. There aren't any connections with the stories, so you can also enjoy the series by playing them in an order of your liking. It just might be hard to go back to earlier releases if you do that.

Well...scratch that. Heroes of Mana takes place a few years before Secret of Mana 2. Buuuut, Heroes of Mana isn't fun.

azure

« Reply #1574 on: December 05, 2017, 10:03:58 pm »
*snip*

Yep. Sword of Mana is a complete overhaul of Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure. It generates a fair amount of backlash, but I enjoyed it. It can be finished in about 10 hours, so it's not a major time sink.

I think playing them in release order would serve you well. There aren't any connections with the stories, so you can also enjoy the series by playing them in an order of your liking. It just might be hard to go back to earlier releases if you do that.

Well...scratch that. Heroes of Mana takes place a few years before Secret of Mana 2. Buuuut, Heroes of Mana isn't fun.
For the time being I'll go Sword of Mana -> Secret of Mana -> Secret of Mana Remake. After that, I will just go from there, thanks for the info Kash.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:50:46 pm by azure »