Author Topic: Sega Saturn Imports Without Action Replay or Mods?  (Read 6066 times)

Sega Saturn Imports Without Action Replay or Mods?
« on: May 24, 2014, 01:24:46 am »
I'll try to make this brief but also interesting.

I know you can play burned games on the Saturn, I don't have much interest in that, but I assumed you could play Japanese import games using the same disc swapping method. A friend of mine showed me this after he had given me his Saturn (Model 2). So I bought an import game (Zero 4 Champ Doozy-J Type-R) just assuming I could play it.

Fast forward, it shows up, after a bunch of failed attempts getting it to work based off how I remember the swap trick working, I gave up and decided to refresh my memory by checking online. It was using burned games as the example but I didn't think there was any reason a legit import disc would be any different.

The suggested steps were:

1: Initial start up with burned game in drive (I substituted with the import disc)

2: Wait for laser movement/disc speed drop, insert legit game (used Sega Rally Championship)

3. Wait until laser movement again and disc speed increase and swap back to the burned game (import in my case)

4. Success hopefully.

So I did it this way and succeeded after a couple tries, played the game for a little bit and then shut it off.

Later mentioned this to the friend who gave me the system and we were discussing playing import games etc. He reminded me of the Action Replay thing, which I completely forgot he used when he showed me how to play import games. He said it was weird that I was able to do it without it?

At this point we're both confused. I'm looking up information online and it seems to indicate that I maybe should not have been able to do this without an Action Replay or Modded chip.

Too prove I wasn't crazy, I attempted to start the game again and had no luck after many tries. No idea what I did differently before.

Eventually, after more practice and remembering the details of what I did before, I was able to do it again. And then I got my camera out and recorded me doing it AGAIN (3rd time) so I knew I wasn't crazy.

Is this a thing? Are people not aware you can do this or am I pulling off some magic here? There is just a specific moment that you want to swap it. Guides tell you to swap it as fast as possible when you see the disc speed up but for this to work you want to wait as long as possible for the disc to speed up but stop and swap out the disc before it changes over to the second Sega company screen.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:27:54 am by Seikenfreak »

thecrypticodor

Re: Sega Saturn Imports Without Action Replay or Mods?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:43 am »
Forcing the spindle motor to a halt like that can eventually cause it to fail. So whats cheaper a action replay/game shark or a whole new replacement Saturn.

For burned games however I can see using the swap trick to not have to pay $300+ dollars to play Panzer Dragoon Saga.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:45:48 am »
Yea I'm aware of the motor issue. I don't know how much it's been swapped before I got it, but I hardly use the thing.

I'm not saying I won't get an Action Replay, I'm wondering why I'm able to do this when it seems like you usually can't?

Also, the price for a Saturn and an Action Replay isn't all that far apart.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:00:08 am »
Yea I'm aware of the motor issue. I don't know how much it's been swapped before I got it, but I hardly use the thing.

I'm not saying I won't get an Action Replay, I'm wondering why I'm able to do this when it seems like you usually can't?

Also, the price for a Saturn and an Action Replay isn't all that far apart.
The Saturn Game Shark can play imports and a used can be procured for under $20 used. It just wont work for the games that require ram expansion carts.

As to why this works for you I can't say. I always heard that the only way of playing  playing imports was with the aid of a cart or a mod chip. Maybe your Saturn has been altered in some way. I've heard stories of lucky individuals who have bought a system like a PS1 or Saturn and found mod chips installed in them.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 11:08:13 am »
Forcing the spindle motor to a halt like that can eventually cause it to fail. So whats cheaper a action replay/game shark or a whole new replacement Saturn.

For burned games however I can see using the swap trick to not have to pay $300+ dollars to play Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Saturn itself is like $10  $15 with controller.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »
The Saturn Game Shark can play imports and a used can be procured for under $20 used. It just wont work for the games that require ram expansion carts.

As to why this works for you I can't say. I always heard that the only way of playing  playing imports was with the aid of a cart or a mod chip. Maybe your Saturn has been altered in some way. I've heard stories of lucky individuals who have bought a system like a PS1 or Saturn and found mod chips installed in them.

Interesting.

Yea this was given to me by a friend who said he attempted a mod on it once but it was an in-line, mostly plug-n-play thing I think and said it didn't fit/work. Not sure if another person we know had it before him.

But if it had a proper chip, wouldn't it just be able to start the game without swapping?

Veeeeety interesting.. Perhaps I'll take it apart and dig a little deeper this time.

scott

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 12:37:54 pm »
If you want, I have a Game Shark I might be willing to sell/trade.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 04:37:18 pm »
If you want, I have a Game Shark I might be willing to sell/trade.

Little strapped for cash atm and I'm not sure I have stuff to trade lol

Well I took it apart and don't see anything that points to obvious modification. Only odd stuff was one of the posts in a connector between the main board and the power board had some solder on it, not really connecting anything but had to clean it off so I could disconnect the two boards. Disassembly guide I used doesn't mention the solder there so thought that was odd. And the little resistor thing across the one chip in the last picture but the solder points look pretty clean.

Part # for the spindle motor is RF-320CH-14280 which I found online for $10. Doesn't appear to be too hard to swap out with a little soldering. http://www.encompassparts.com/item/4661785/JVC/RF-320CH-14280/SPINDLE

See anything weird here?

thecrypticodor

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 08:51:56 pm »
I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Heres a picture of a VA13 motherboard that has a ceramic disc cap across those two points. So it's definitely factory albeit very sloppy.