Author Topic: Beat theflea in one auction!  (Read 4309 times)

jcalder8

Re: Beat theflea in one auction!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 11:45:26 am »
The reserve is going to be out there.  I found an article that said the estimated value of his collection is $7-800,000.  I'd say it's not THAT high but probably ball parking in at $5-600,000 reserve.  Even then I would say that is still too high but hey the boy can dream right.

edit* probably help to post the link.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/06/06/worlds-largest-video-game-collection-up-for-sale.html

In terms of the auction I am surprised that it has gotten as high as it has. I wouldn't have guessed it would have been more than 50,000 and even then I would call it over priced. Yes there are some gems but there is just so much garbage! Maybe from an insurance point of view it could be in the 500,000 range? But that's a huge maybe! Insurance pays out on the cost of replacing everything today, I have a relatively small collection but for insurance the value would be 25-30,00 simply because it would all have to be replaced today, no hunting for deals, no trades, nothing of that sort.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 05:03:33 pm »
NO! The value is inflated by people who think collecting is hard or want to be king. Foe 50,000 you can by s significant portion of his collection new. If used you could probably get nearly all of it if not all for that much.

ffxik

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 06:49:57 am »
Did anyone read the whole GameGavel listing a few days ago?  I could have sworn there was a paragraph abut selling off games like Air Raid and Stadium Events in prior auctions.  Where did that go I wonder?

bobster

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 08:58:47 am »
Did anyone read the whole GameGavel listing a few days ago?  I could have sworn there was a paragraph abut selling off games like Air Raid and Stadium Events in prior auctions.  Where did that go I wonder?

I read that as well. So you're not crazy. I guess they took it out?
Currently Playing: The Witcher

theflea

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 05:15:32 am »
geez, its up to $700,250.00  :o

I was expecting $200,000.00 range, but close to 3 quarters of a million dollars???!!!
And the auction still has 4 days left, I'm starting to wonder if it's troll bidding, its a bidding war between 2 people.
Both with 0 feedback and one looks like he was bidding over himself. I'm really thinking this is troll bids.
But this ruins the auction for any legit bidders.
He made his reserve so it's sold if its real.
Heck I'd be tempted to sell my collection for that much. lol

"Happy game hunting!!!"

ffxik

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 05:59:11 am »
I don't think they are real.  If ebay taught me anything 0 feedback high bidders are trouble.

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 09:48:52 am »
I don't think they are real.  If ebay taught me anything 0 feedback high bidders are trouble.

But please sir! I need you to ship first because i need this item/items for my son/daughter in Nigeria! Check your paypal it says i sent money they will hold until you send.

Happens o me EVERYTIME on craigslist also, I have heard people have luck with CL I never get one legit person ever. Nothing Period, 23 times. When i get mail or Text I just say "am i shipping to Nigeria" and most will vanish. Some wil try and go "No I am no scam I am cereal" screw it.

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 12:10:04 am »
Yep, there is no doubt in my mind that this listing was bid up to its current value by trolls (or possible a troll). I feel like realistically, if this auction ended with a legit price, I can't see it ending for more than 150-grand. There are some awesome games in the lot, no doubt, but the vast majority is $5 > filler. I think this guy would be better selling it piece by piece because this auction has troll crosshairs all over it lol

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 05:25:43 am »
Looking at his panorama shots of his collection, which is really cool, I'm terribly disappointed with his organizing.  Xbox 360 in the middle of an area filled with Sega CD and Saturn? Atrocious! lol

soera

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 11:57:49 am »
My guess is he probably thinks all that is cool with Sega surrounding Microshaft just may make the 360 more enjoyable. It wont work however as the 360 is disease infested and will most likely cause his Sega systems to stop playing.

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 06:06:29 pm »
This is why I don't trust the American media; every major news outlet is reporting about this guy selling his collection for $750,000 without even confirming that the highest bidder actually paid for the games. As many of us have already said, the two bidders that bid this collecting from around 90k to 750k were likely trolls since neither had any feedback, and seriously, who would pay what amounts to about $68 a game for stuff like Madden 98 on the PS1, or even something like Super Mario 64? No one!

But that doesn't stop our media from sensationalizing this story, making it look like this guys collection actually holds that kind of value, when nobody except the guy who owns this collection knows if the highest bidder actually paid! Report now, get information later, right? Sorry, this shit just pisses me off and makes me sad that you really, really have to dig deep to get to the bottom of a story because the media sure as hell won't give you the whole story, or even the real story most of the time. Rant over.

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
I don't understand how a game collection, even one that massive, can be worth that much money, or how anyone buys and actually pays that much. Most people don't pay that much for a 4,000 square foot home.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:45:25 pm by Warmsignal »

foxhack

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:17 pm »
People with nothing better to do - that is, not legitimate buyers, but trolls - drove up the price.

90snostalga

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 10:55:01 am »
I wonder if eBay prices for games will now rise BC of the attention on this

ffxik

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 07:07:51 pm »
I wonder if eBay prices for games will now rise BC of the attention on this

Shouldn't affect it much I would think.  I mean Ebay is already massively overpriced anyway.