Author Topic: Suggestion for tracking value of collection  (Read 1206 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Suggestion for tracking value of collection
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »
I think that it's just getting too far beyond the scope of VGC simply being a database of game collections.

I never have a problem w/ having a feature that's unimportant to me (like you said about the remote) that I can simply choose not to use.

However (and certainly, newer members couldn't be blamed/faulted for not knowing this) VGC is still very much more of a work-in-progress for Matt than it is a 'static' / "finished" site.

I realize that I'm speaking for you Matt -so- jump in & correct me if I'm wrong, but...I think it's more that Matt's still constantly working on adding new/polishing existing features ==> to the scope of streamlining VGC as a database for game collecting info. that it's not necessarily a "bad" idea that you're suggesting just very much at the "bottom of the list" / low priority stuff.

Many items in the database here are ALREADY linked to Amazon (and their prices), so, (again *IMO*) any/everybody interested could simply grab a calculator and do their own math instead of trying to diversify a strictly collecting-based site into a part collection, part valuation, part calculator, part Backloggery, etc kind of site.

Same reasons that other suggestions (like game reviews & backloggery-types of things), while not bad or harmful ideas...are just not as appropriate for here.

Just my 2 cents & understanding.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"