Author Topic: Suggestion for tracking value of collection  (Read 1207 times)

Suggestion for tracking value of collection
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:29:01 am »
Would it be possible to link games with current market prices using something like VGPC as a reference and calculating the value of your collection? For example, if I have 200+ games and they are all added to my collection, would it be possible to have a feature at the bottom of the page that says something like estimated worth of collection: $4,586.04 which would then fluctuate with the market and give us accurate prices for large collections

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Suggestion for tracking value of collection
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:13:51 am »
I think that would be unlikely due to the price differences for a new vs used copy of the same game as well as the price differences in the same game in different conditions...

...That said, welcome to VGC!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:04:15 pm »
This is probably the 3rd or 4th request for this in the last week or so.

Why does everyone care so much on how much the current value of their collection is? I hope VGCollect never goes this route. It will be a sad day for me.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:28:30 pm »
This is probably the 3rd or 4th request for this in the last week or so.

Why does everyone care so much on how much the current value of their collection is? I hope VGCollect never goes this route. It will be a sad day for me.

Oh, I agree.

I was just giving some more 'practical' reasons & variables explaining why, IMO, it wouldn't be feasible.

What's the value of MY collection?

(Like in those older commercials); it's "Priceless" ==>

==> (only because there's no *price* I'd let it go for) = it's not 4 sale  ;)

soera

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:40:57 pm »
it's "Priceless" ==>

Exactly. The only people that seem to care how much their collection is valued at is the same people that are only in it for the money to sell.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 02:59:33 pm »
Some need/want it for insurance.

But like Soera says, most want it for selling purposes.

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 03:16:11 pm »
it's "Priceless" ==>

Exactly. The only people that seem to care how much their collection is valued at is the same people that are only in it for the money to sell.

As a reseller, I can assure you that I have no interest in keeping note of how much my collection is worth.  8)

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 06:11:06 pm »
Some need/want it for insurance.

Yeah, I'm in that boat. I'm not much of a reseller, but I'd love to know how much the collection is worth for insurance purposes.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:33:53 pm »
Even if it was implemented it wouldn't be accurate at all. There's a lot of missing price data. Then there would be the question of where you're located. A US game is worth a lot more in the UK probably than it would worth in the States. There's a lot of factors to consider.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:50:55 pm by badATchaos »

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 07:36:46 pm »
Even if it was implemented it wouldn't accurate at all. There's a lot of missing price data. Then there would be the question of where you're located. A US game is worth a lot more in the UK probably than it would worth in the States. There's a lot of factors to consider.

Oh, I know it'd be off. Even just taking numbers from the possible estimated values already listed on the item page would be something, but I know it wouldn't be accurate.  Just to fulfill some curiosity on my part  ::)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »
Even if it was implemented it wouldn't accurate at all. There's a lot of missing price data. Then there would be the question of where you're located. A US game is worth a lot more in the UK probably than it would worth in the States. There's a lot of factors to consider.
games from jpn are worth more in us. The conditions. Box/no box. Missing parts.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 03:32:52 pm »
The fact that you guys are assuming that I'm only into collecting for the money just because I want to know the worth of my collection is ridiculous. What's the harm in wanting to know how much it's all worth?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »
The fact that you guys are assuming that I'm only into collecting for the money just because I want to know the worth of my collection is ridiculous. What's the harm in wanting to know how much it's all worth?

No more ridiculous than the fact that you're assuming that you know what we're assuming  ;)

Some comments were maybe sweeping/generalizations -but- I don't see (or get the impression) that anyone here's calling you-out or accusing you of anything personally...

...I'd assume  8)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 04:42:11 pm »
Seems to me that there's a few regulars that are adamantly against the idea, and that's it.

It's already been pointed out that this is the 3rd or 4th request regarding it recently. And I know other regulars, including myself, have brought it up in the past.

There's a definite interest out there to add this feature to the site that keeps getting struck down. I think this is something that should be re-evaluated by the powers-that-be.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 05:14:26 pm »
Seems to me that there's a few regulars that are adamantly against the idea, and that's it.

It's already been pointed out that this is the 3rd or 4th request regarding it recently. And I know other regulars, including myself, have brought it up in the past.

There's a definite interest out there to add this feature to the site that keeps getting struck down. I think this is something that should be re-evaluated by the powers-that-be.
i don't see why anyone would be against the idea. It would just be an added feature that's there if you want it. If you don't want it don't use it. It's like a remote control for a television, it's there for who wants to use it but you can always get it up change it on the tv.