Author Topic: Suggestion: A warning for if you're going to add a duplicate  (Read 868 times)

razorbeamz

Of course, if you have a duplicate some people are going to want to add it, so I'm not suggesting that you make it impossible to, but I'd like to be warned if I'm accidentally making a duplicate entry.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Suggestion: A warning for if you're going to add a duplicate
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:58:05 am »
Of course, if you have a duplicate some people are going to want to add it, so I'm not suggesting that you make it impossible to, but I'd like to be warned if I'm accidentally making a duplicate entry.

When you start submitting a new item, a check is done & it will say if there's already an existing entry for the item.

That said, you need to be familiar with the "style guide" so you know the correct format for punctuation, sub-titles, etc.

If you're using "duplicate" as wanting to list 3 of the same items in your own collection -and- you've added more than you meant to...it only takes a second to "delete" one (or more) of the entries.

Style Guide:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:22:51 pm »
I think razorbeamz might be talking about a duplicate copy (like if you have two copies of the game) rather than a dupe item record... is that correct?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

razorbeamz

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:11:00 pm »
I think razorbeamz might be talking about a duplicate copy (like if you have two copies of the game) rather than a dupe item record... is that correct?

Yes. Say you already have a game, and then you click to add it to your collection a second time on accident. It could have a warning in red text that says "This game is already in your collection. You are adding a second copy." or something similar to make sure you know that you're doing that.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:54:34 pm »
Yes. Say you already have a game, and then you click to add it to your collection a second time on accident. It could have a warning in red text that says "This game is already in your collection. You are adding a second copy." or something similar to make sure you know that you're doing that.
[/quote]

It would be nice to have the option to remove ALL games from the browse list that are already in your collection. It would make it easier to see which games you're missing, instead of searching multiple pages.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:18:39 am »

I think it's kinda overkill & uneccessary, myself.

If you mistakenly add > one of something...it takes less than a second to hover on it, & simply click "delete" = no big deal or inconvenience  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

razorbeamz

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 03:17:49 pm »

If you mistakenly add > one of something...it takes less than a second to hover on it, & simply click "delete" = no big deal or inconvenience  8)
The thing is, I sometimes don't realize that I added something twice until a long time later.

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 08:19:34 pm »

The thing is, I sometimes don't realize that I added something twice until a long time later.
Yeah I have done this a few times as well.  I think a warning would be a nice feature.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)