Author Topic: Day of Remembrance  (Read 1141 times)

mrnikon

Day of Remembrance
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:23:12 pm »
Had to post this, since this affected my family in a huge way. On this day in 1942 President Roosevelt singed E.O. 9066. Requiring all people of Japanese decent on the West Coast into "interment" camps close to 120,000 men women and children. Many were born here in America and US Citizens who were Nisei(about 70,000) and many were Japanese immigrants who some have already been living here for 40 years.  Most of them lost everything they had, homes, their businesses, what ever property they could not carry with them also any savings they may have had.  All with out any due process The camps where not stellar living conditions, but they survived.

While the Japanese Americans living in the then territory of Hawaii were not interned, many if them requested to join the Army but were denied because of who they were. I wasn't until June of 1942 when the Army formed the 100th Battalion a unit comprised of 100% volunteer Nisei from Hawaii. Then in 1944 The 442nd RCT was formed also made up of 100% volunteers who came out of the "interment" camp. Together they fought not only for the USA but to show the whole country that they were good and loyal Americans. They fought so hard and suffered such great losses they were called "the Purple Heart Battalion" They became the most decorated unit for its size and length of service. of 14,000 men they received 21 Medals of Honor(20 were upgraded from other awards in 2000), 4000 Bronze stars (not including 1200 oak leaf clusters for a second award) ,560 Silver Stars (plus 28 oak leaf clusters), 52  Distinguished Service Crosses, and 9,486 Purple hearts.

After the war and the families were getting out of the camps and the members of the 442nd were coming home. Many came home to their homes destroyed, or no home at all and having to start over from scratch. They faced hate just because who they were. My grandparents were lucky they got out early, thanks to a sponsor family here in Chicago. Since the medical care was not the best in the camp and my grandmother was pregnant with my dad at the time things could have turned out different.

This is just a quick brief thing i had to get out there is a lot more that I could have said but I figured this would be enough. Thanks.

amauriel

Re: Day of Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:55:45 pm »
When I went to Japan, I traveled with many Brazilians who were sansei, because of the war. It really changed the landscape of the Japanese people, no matter where they lived.

(Oh, and for those of you who may not be familiar with the terms, nisei are second-generation Japanese Americans (or whatever country they moved to) and sansei are third-generation. Correct me if I'm wrong, mrnikon.)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:52:04 pm »
I actually just recently (about 3 months ago) finished a report on internment in the United States during World War II. An interesting topic.

If I may also add, let's also remember those persons of non-Japanese ancestry who suffered injustice, as well (including persons from outside the US who were sent to camps/facilities here, persons of German/Italian ancestry, etc.). Many of them also suffered an equal, if not worse, fate under this system.

Many injustices happened during WWII, and a lot of them still haven't been recognized, unfortunately.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:43:13 pm »
mrnikon - great post.

Let us not forget these things that happened in our past so that we can be diligent to not let them happen again.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

mrnikon

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:52:37 am »
I actually just recently (about 3 months ago) finished a report on internment in the United States during World War II. An interesting topic.

If I may also add, let's also remember those persons of non-Japanese ancestry who suffered injustice, as well (including persons from outside the US who were sent to camps/facilities here, persons of German/Italian ancestry, etc.). Many of them also suffered an equal, if not worse, fate under this system.

Many injustices happened during WWII, and a lot of them still haven't been recognized, unfortunately.
True there were smaller camps for German(WW I and WW II) and Italians as well, most were German Nationals though, but none the less not our countries best moments.

Even Worse was the treatment of Civil War P.O.Ws. Here they were basically still Americans, but since the fact they were on one side or the other made them different.  One examples is right here in Chicago ,Camp Dogulas AKA 80 Acres of Hell, the name it self tells you of the conditions they lived in.