Author Topic: Things you miss, but can't get back  (Read 12680 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Things you miss, but can't get back
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2014, 06:18:18 pm »
I miss the days when music "artists" didn't have to be auto-tuned to hell and back.

vs

http://vimeo.com/27669666

kr2nist

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2014, 12:59:12 am »
When a friend of mine told me he didn't hate Teen Titans Go!, I thought he was messing with me. But then I watched it and I understood. That show is so stupid, you can't take it seriously enough to hate it. It has nothing to do with its source material, it just stands alone as this monumental, ridiculous thing that is simply beneath judgment. I find it strangely watchable.

Exactly.  I may have previously said that the show is unnecessary, but I don't hate it.  You said it perfectly how it's the kind of show that you just can't take it seriously to actually hate it.  And yes, it truly does stand alone.  lol!
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2014, 01:01:19 am »
When a friend of mine told me he didn't hate Teen Titans Go!, I thought he was messing with me. But then I watched it and I understood. That show is so stupid, you can't take it seriously enough to hate it. It has nothing to do with its source material, it just stands alone as this monumental, ridiculous thing that is simply beneath judgment. I find it strangely watchable.

Exactly.  I may have previously said that the show is unnecessary, but I don't hate it.  You said it perfectly how it's the kind of show that you just can't take it seriously to actually hate it.  And yes, it truly does stand alone.  lol!

I can find a very good reason to hate it. It replaced Young Justice, the best written comic cartoon since Justice League Unlimited; over some stupid toy sales (it had good ratings, but was yanked because the toys in the commercials weren't selling, according to online articles.)

kr2nist

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2014, 01:13:07 am »
They've shown DBZ a 100 times over on Cartoon Network already. I think it's time they moved to something else. I'd love to watch Record of Lodoss War in it's entirety again, for example. Or The Guyver: Bio-Boosted Armor (but that may be a little too violent for T.V.).

CN may have shown DBZ more than enough times, but I remember when first discovering the whole "Toonami" thing purely out of accident and DBZ was on.  And as luck had it, it was at the very beginning too and I was able to watch it in its entirety.  Another one I got into was "Cowboy Bebop".

kr2nist

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2014, 01:22:49 am »
I can find a very good reason to hate it. It replaced Young Justice, the best written comic cartoon since Justice League Unlimited; over some stupid toy sales (it had good ratings, but was yanked because the toys in the commercials weren't selling, according to online articles.)

I actually watched a couple of episodes of Young Justice and thought it was really decent.  I was wondering why CN wasn't showing the Young Justice commercials anymore....had no idea that TT Go! had taken its place.

kr2nist

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2014, 01:25:53 am »
I miss the days when music "artists" didn't have to be auto-tuned to hell and back.

I couldn't have said that any better myself, Dash!

tripredacus

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2014, 11:12:52 am »
One thing that we can never get back is... 90s internet. Sites do not exist anymore, services no longer work. It is impossible now to relive the days of playing around in Prodigy or AOL's service. Oh well. :(

byron

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2014, 12:02:55 pm »
Some things can be relived...

http://www.wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2014, 12:10:49 pm »
One thing that we can never get back is... 90s internet. Sites do not exist anymore, services no longer work. It is impossible now to relive the days of playing around in Prodigy or AOL's service. Oh well. :(

Try the waybackmachine  ;D http://archive.org/web/

tripredacus

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2014, 11:43:22 am »

Try the waybackmachine  ;D http://archive.org/web/

I know about the wayback machine. It isn't the same.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2014, 03:25:58 pm »
Yeah, i know. The waiting on pics to load with a phone connection gave me some time to do some darts practicing  ;D.

tripredacus

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2014, 03:04:06 pm »
Yeah, i know. The waiting on pics to load with a phone connection gave me some time to do some darts practicing  ;D.

No that's not what I mean. Wayback only has archives websites and it does not cover services that were in place then.

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 10:28:21 pm »
I miss the arcades with games other than interactive ones (shooting, racing, DDR etc.).  Dave and Busters is OK, but the majority of the place is machines that spit out tickets. It's been a very long time since I had to stick a quarter on the machine to claim next game (also doesn't work at D&B since you have a preloaded game card  :-\  ).

I agree with many others here too about the weirdness of going to a friends house to hang out. Seams like you need to make an appointment these days for anything. I guess this goes right along with the always connected environment we live in now. Didn't you see my call? Why didn't you text me back sooner? Or the immediate phone call if you don't accept a chat request while playing a game online.

gf78

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:09 pm »
Geez...where to start.

I miss the feelings (not physical) of that first time.  When the realization dawns on you that you are actually going to have sex.  What a magical moment that was!

I miss going to the arcades.  The sensory overload of it.  All these machines, making whatever noises/sounds that particular game made.  The air hockey tables and pool tables.  That smell...like when you walk into a carpet store and you smell all the fresh, rolled carpet.  Not a particularly pleasant smell, but not bad.  A newness to it.  It was part of the arcade experience.

Actually going to a friends house (or them coming over) and playing a game all night.  Fond memories of my Bud Shane and me playing Castlevania III all night till we beat it.

Being a kid, out all day till dark riding bikes, playing hockey, etc. with your friends with no worries that some molester is going to abduct you.  Mom & dad didn't have to worry.  There were no cell phones and video games were something you did when the weather sucked because back then, you would rather be outside all day doing stuff. 

The smell of pine sap on your hands when you and your buds have been climbing in the pine trees. 

My mom's side of the family is Italian and we always had these big, family get-togethers on the holidays.  Being young, I didn't appreciate it so much at that time, but the whole family would get together.  Aunts, uncles, grandparents, great grandparents, cousins...the older men would be drinking and get to arguing about something.  They inevitably ended up swearing at each other in Italian which I had no clue what they were saying.  My wife died in a car accident way too young.  My grandparents and great grandparents are gone.  One of my uncles passed away.  My cousins live in Pennsylvania and one of my uncle's got divorced and I haven't seen my aunt (by marriage) in nearly 15 years.  Yeah...I would give anything to have that back. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us