Author Topic: Things you miss, but can't get back  (Read 11762 times)

blipcs76

Re: Things you miss, but can't get back
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 10:38:56 am »
I miss dedicated Arcades. They are few and far between.

^^^ This

There are still arcades around, but the ones I've been to are focused on redemption games for kids.  If they even have games, its mostly gun games, racing games and rhythm games.  I'm talking about arcades that were 90% arcade games and pinball machines.  They were a huge part of my youth, but as I grew into an adult the 'video' arcade was essentially dead.

Nothing will ever replicate the feeling of going into an arcade with a $5 bill to turn into quarters.  The sounds of 50 games meshed into one single sound -- the arcade sound -- comprised of Pac Man eating dots, the sound of Mario walking and jumping in Donkey Kong, the music from Galaga, etc.  It used to walk around the arcade at least once to see every game before I decided where to put my first quarter.  The arcade was stuff that was way better than what you could play at home and was a social experience.

This is why I have six arcade games in my basement.  While nothing can replicate the experience of going into an arcade in 1988 where the games are fresh, new and amazing, I can mimic that experience at home.  If I ever get rich or win the lottery, I'm building an arcade in my house with at least 40 machines :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:41:09 am by blipcs76 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:25 pm »
I miss dedicated Arcades. They are few and far between.

^^^ This

There are still arcades around, but the ones I've been to are focused on redemption games for kids.  If they even have games, its mostly gun games, racing games and rhythm games.  I'm talking about arcades that were 90% arcade games and pinball machines.  They were a huge part of my youth, but as I grew into an adult the 'video' arcade was essentially dead.

Nothing will ever replicate the feeling of going into an arcade with a $5 bill to turn into quarters.  The sounds of 50 games meshed into one single sound -- the arcade sound -- comprised of Pac Man eating dots, the sound of Mario walking and jumping in Donkey Kong, the music from Galaga, etc.  It used to walk around the arcade at least once to see every game before I decided where to put my first quarter.  The arcade was stuff that was way better than what you could play at home and was a social experience.

This is why I have six arcade games in my basement.  While nothing can replicate the experience of going into an arcade in 1988 where the games are fresh, new and amazing, I can mimic that experience at home.  If I ever get rich or win the lottery, I'm building an arcade in my house with at least 40 machines :)

I've said this for years. And then we finally did get one in town again, and I never seem to go, lol. I did try to go on a Sunday once (on the weekend mind you), and it was freaking closed!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
I miss drive-in theaters. Getting your family piled together in the car. Mom making popcorn and other goodies to bring. Getting all comfy under a blanket. And watching double and triple-features of action flicks and monster movies. Great times.

90snostalga

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:26:46 pm »
 :(
I miss drive-in theaters. Getting your family piled together in the car. Mom making popcorn and other goodies to bring. Getting all comfy under a blanket. And watching double and triple-features of action flicks and monster movies. Great times.

I've never even seen a drive in movie. I must be too young to have witnesses them but man does that sound good :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 12:52:57 pm »
^ I was quite young when they tore ours down. Like 7 years old.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 12:59:10 pm »
Believe it or not, I have an operating Drive-in 45 min from me. It's a lot of fun.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 01:57:42 pm »
Believe it or not, I have an operating Drive-in 45 min from me. It's a lot of fun.

You lucky SOB.

Do they still do monster-movie-fests on the weekend?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 02:45:19 pm »

You lucky SOB.

It's all new stuff.  They are only open on Friday and Saturday nights.  They usually get a movie about 2-3 after it comes out.  Like this weekend is TMNT.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:51 pm »

You lucky SOB.

It's all new stuff.  They are only open on Friday and Saturday nights.  They usually get a movie about 2-3 after it comes out.  Like this weekend is TMNT.

Oh man, how can you have a drive-in movie and not have late-night monster movies?!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 02:37:09 am »

I saw the new TMNT with my boy last week. Turns out the old Drive-In at the bottom of my hill (no kidding 5 minutes from my house) is still running strong.

It was $5 for me $1 for him and 6 for a HUGE tub of buttered popcorn.

We watched it with a group of fellow retro game fanatics:
https://www.facebook.com/events/491503610979801/?ref=br_tf
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:39:24 am by dashv »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:02 am »

I saw the new TMNT with my boy last week. Turns out the old Drive-In at the bottom of my hill (no kidding 5 minutes from my house) is still running strong.

It was $5 for me $1 for him and 6 for a HUGE tub of buttered popcorn.

We watched it with a group of fellow retro game fanatics:
https://www.facebook.com/events/491503610979801/?ref=br_tf

They would charge us per car, no matter how many people you had crammed in it.

But you can't complain when it's only $1 for the kid.

doafan

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 02:20:41 pm »
Sundays morning Wrestling, seriously this were the best moments of my life as a kid, love to see Super Porky and his brothers Brazo de Plata and Brazo kicking as many butts as possible and if you are wondering you were these dudes you definitely didn't watch Mexican Wrestling to much  :D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

kr2nist

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 12:57:24 am »
^^^ This

Yes, video arcades were also a very big part of my youth also....oh how I loved the times when I'd be at a shopping mall and would have the opportunity to blow some money on some arcade gaming bliss!  I too would stroll through an arcade first before plunking my first 25 cents -- and who else here remembers back when it only cost ONE quarter to play a game, as opposed to having to deposit at least a dollar or more??  It was truly a social experience like no other, especially when being fortunate enough to get the high score on a game and getting to proudly enter your name (which was usually just your initials).

Other things I miss.......

Watching Saturday morning cartoons until noon, when T.V. programming would then turn to complete crap once cartoons were over.

Spending summers at the community center swimming pool, even when the pool water was cold enough to turn your skin blue.

When "social networking" meant hanging out and playing outside with your friends....and NOT "liking" and commenting on your friends' Facebook statuses.

Going to the beach every summer with my parents.

Going to a friend's house to play Atari 2600 games.
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

retroone

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 11:23:49 am »
Good Cartoons. All the cartoons nowadays look like they were created by preschoolers. I'm looking at you Uncle Grandpa and Adventure Time...

byron

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 12:04:21 pm »

What if I told you... That cartoons today are no different than they were fifteen years ago, you just got older and your tastes changed?