Author Topic: Games everyone loves but you hate?  (Read 8539 times)

Re: Games everyone loves but you hate?
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »
Ikaruga is another one.  The game just looks bland to me and the switching color gimmick is just that.  It's just not what I play those kinds of games for.  Any Treasure game that has a gimmick like that annoys me, especially Silhouette Mirage.
You like shoot em ups?
I do.
It's pretty mind blowing if you have been spending your time with Genesis shoot em ups even sega saturn shoot em ups. It's ablity to trick the brain into thinking its a 3d plain with rotational effects is impressive. The enemy patterns are also unique and well designed. I recommend if you want fun out of it is to play a competition with friends to see who can get the highest score.
I had the TG16 growing up & still have it, and still have Blazing Lazers and Soldier Blade.  I sold my Saturn a while back but I had Galactic Attack, and the 2 Raystorm Games on my PS1.  I prefer those types.  I held on to Axelay too.  Most of the more modern shooters I play are on the Taito Legends 2 & Wii VC.  Raiden Fighters and stuff like that are great too.  I can't get into those bullet hell ones, I'm more into shooting things than dodging bullets, maybe that's what I didn't like about Ikaruga.

dreama1

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »
Ikaruga is another one.  The game just looks bland to me and the switching color gimmick is just that.  It's just not what I play those kinds of games for.  Any Treasure game that has a gimmick like that annoys me, especially Silhouette Mirage.
You like shoot em ups?
I do.
It's pretty mind blowing if you have been spending your time with Genesis shoot em ups even sega saturn shoot em ups. It's ablity to trick the brain into thinking its a 3d plain with rotational effects is impressive. The enemy patterns are also unique and well designed. I recommend if you want fun out of it is to play a competition with friends to see who can get the highest score.
I had the TG16 growing up & still have it, and still have Blazing Lazers and Soldier Blade.  I sold my Saturn a while back but I had Galactic Attack, and the 2 Raystorm Games on my PS1.  I prefer those types.  I held on to Axelay too.  Most of the more modern shooters I play are on the Taito Legends 2 & Wii VC.  Raiden Fighters and stuff like that are great too.  I can't get into those bullet hell ones, I'm more into shooting things than dodging bullets, maybe that's what I didn't like about Ikaruga.
That's the way things went. Very late into the saturns life most of them were bullet hells, and all the dreamcast ones are bullet hell as far as I know. Those kind of tradional shoot em ups died with toaplan, and the rest. Soldier blade isn't bad a little to easy for me, and i'm not a god or anything.

maximo310

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:30 pm »
You like shoot em ups?
I do.
That's the way things went. Very late into the saturns life most of them were bullet hells, and all the dreamcast ones are bullet hell as far as I know. Those kind of tradional shoot em ups died with toaplan, and the rest. Soldier blade isn't bad a little to easy for me, and i'm not a god or anything.
Well, Toplan pretty much started the bullet hell trend with Batsugun(1993) which started the whole trend, and when the company folded, many of its employees went and founded CAVE which has had an impressive amount of releases in the bullet hell genre, although they haven't made a new shmup since late 2012. The genre was pretty much created  for the 2D shooters in order to counter the growing popularity of 3D games by the immense number of bullets on screen. It seems that the mid 90's- mid 00s had a great number of bullet hell shooters released , while today there is a bigger mixture of the old and new styles of shmups available thanks to some re-releases of certain games. Personally, I love shumps and the different gameplay systems for it, so I'm trying to make the genre a centerpiece of my collection.

dreama1

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:22 pm »
You like shoot em ups?
I do.
Well, Toplan pretty much started the bullet hell trend with Batsugun(1993) which started the whole trend, and when the company folded, many of its employees went and founded CAVE which has had an impressive amount of releases in the bullet hell genre, although they haven't made a new shmup since late 2012. The genre was pretty much created  for the 2D shooters in order to counter the growing popularity of 3D games by the immense number of bullets on screen. It seems that the mid 90's- mid 00s had a great number of bullet hell shooters released , while today there is a bigger mixture of the old and new styles of shmups available thanks to some re-releases of certain games. Personally, I love shumps and the different gameplay systems for it, so I'm trying to make the genre a centerpiece of my collection.
Go get Grind Stormer for the sega genesis amazing shoot em up, I would say it's the best on the system. It really pushes the system.

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2014, 11:55:45 am »
The entire pokemon series. Every single pokemon game is rather shitty when you break it down. The core mechanics are extremely basic and the gameplay is broken since some pokemon are significantly better than others. There's no plot or characters. If you want to get into competitive play you have to invest an absurd amount of time because breeding and leveling up stats is unbelievably tedious and time consuming.

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2014, 03:46:40 pm »
You like shoot em ups?
I do.
Challenge mode is where it's at in Soldier Blade.