Author Topic: Retro Games that Modern Kids Like to Play  (Read 3630 times)

Retro Games that Modern Kids Like to Play
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:32:48 am »
Sadly, I'm just waking up to the reality that kids these days don't enjoy retro games as much as I do.  This could have to do with my son being 6, and lacking the dexterity to play most of my old games, but if you've seen your kids eyes glaze over 5 seconds into something like "Super Mario Land", you know what I'm talking about.  My question is, for those with kids or young siblings/cousins, what retro games do they tend to like to play? 

bobster

Re: Retro Games that Modern Kids Like to Play
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:43:21 am »
To be fair, Super Mario Land is hard for even myself to even get into. Maybe if I pop it into the Gameboy Player it'd be different, but on the Gameboy it's kind of rough lol.

I'd say Ducktales on NES would be a good candidate for kids to appreciate. It's not overly brutal, but not easy either.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:58:37 am »
Today's children can't use their imagination. Mostly, they think that, if the game has no realistic graphics it's not worth to play. Sad but true...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:52:55 am by mastafafik »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:08:57 pm »
I teach a computer class for the disabled. While they aren't kids, they have a lot of the same behavior and mentality as kids.

I brought in some ROMS for them to play after computer lessons for free time. I seem to find them playing a lot of the same ones we liked as kids: Mario games, Sonic games, Legend of Zelda, and surprisingly enough Rocket Knight Adventures is a popular one (I guess it's not that surprising, it's a great game, it just didn't get the attention back in the day). After Burner II had a short run of popularity, too.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:18:50 pm »
My cousin loved playing contra at our house. He had quite a bit of patience with the difficulty. I think contra fits the theme younger kids are used to with games.... War and guns

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:45:10 pm »
My 11 year olds list of likes.

Atari 2600
Combat
Pitfall II

Genesis
Adams Family
Fatal Labyrinth
Mutant League Football (he likes to kill the ref repeatedly)
Sonic The Hedgehog

Nes
Duck Hunt
Ducktales
Ducktales 2
Hogans Alley
Kirby's Adventure
Maniac Mansion
Renegade
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario USA
Super Mario Bros 3
Legend of Zelda

Super Nes
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Mario Paint
Mario Cart
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Sim City
Smash TV
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars

Game Boy
Donkey Kong
Legend of Zelda, Links Awakening
Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Seasons
Kirby's Dreamland 2
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land 3

N64
Lego Racers

Master System
Double Dragon

Game Boy Advance
Bionicle
DOOM
Mario vs Donkey Kony

Playstation
Area 51
Destruction Derby
Dino Crisis

Today's children can't use their imagination. Mostly if the game has no realistic graphics it's not worth to play. Sad but true...

My 11 year old kids favorite games are:

Little Big Planet - PS3
Little Big Planet 2 - PS3
Minecraft - PS3
Infamous 2 Sandbox mode
Super Mario Improvement (a homebrew SMB editor).

I assure you his imagination is very much alive and well.

But in general I agree with you. My son appears to be the exception not the rule.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:00:38 pm by dashv »

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 02:01:24 pm »
To be fair, Super Mario Land is hard for even myself to even get into. Maybe if I pop it into the Gameboy Player it'd be different, but on the Gameboy it's kind of rough lol.

I'd say Ducktales on NES would be a good candidate for kids to appreciate. It's not overly brutal, but not easy either.

I knew someone would say that about SML as soon as I posted this  :), but it does bring to mind the effect of nostalgia on older people that kids don't have (yet).  He does like Ducktales though.

My 11 year olds list of likes.

Maniac Mansion

I couldn't even figure out Maniac Mansion with a walkthough, lol.  I got a talking-to from dad for running up a $40 phone bill calling the tip line for Day of the Tentacle when I was a teenager, thank god for the internet in that department!  "Just one more, really quick" I kept saying. 

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »
I like this topic.  The Boy just turned 5 so I have some real insight on this one. 

Here's some of the old games that he is down with:

Super Mario Bros 1-3    These are the go-to's
Contra
Kung Fu
Turtles in Time
Hyperstone Heist
Sega Bass Fishing (with the fishing rod controller)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 05:05:23 pm »
I like this topic.  The Boy just turned 5 so I have some real insight on this one. 

Here's some of the old games that he is down with:

Super Mario Bros 1-3    These are the go-to's
Contra
Kung Fu
Turtles in Time
Hyperstone Heist
Sega Bass Fishing (with the fishing rod controller)

I gotta get Contra. It's been on my wishlist forever.

Perfect father son 2 player game.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 05:26:41 pm »
I think the vast majority of kids (>=95%) can't appreciate systems or games that were before their time. I know it might be blasphemy to some, but I cannot get into anything pre-NES, and even most NES games have not aged well enough for me to get into (I was born in 1987 btw). Likewise, I kid born in 2000 probably has a really difficult time with any system that does not have at least PS2 graphics or better. It's just how things work for the most part.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:41:21 pm »
I think the vast majority of kids (>=95%) can't appreciate systems or games that were before their time. I know it might be blasphemy to some, but I cannot get into anything pre-NES, and even most NES games have not aged well enough for me to get into (I was born in 1987 btw). Likewise, I kid born in 2000 probably has a really difficult time with any system that does not have at least PS2 graphics or better. It's just how things work for the most part.

Yeah I can't stand really anything Pre-NES either.  I have no love or interest or really even tolerance for anything earlier than that.  I appreciate them as game systems and their place in history, but I'm never going to own an Atari.

I don't think it has to do with anything involving imagination, or lack of dexterity, and old games being some how better, it's just a different time.  It would be like saying now "Why aren't people using A track or even cassette tapes any longer!" lol Also most kids have to wait for these old games to get released on online platforms cause there is no way they are gonna want to go out and buy an NES that is unlikely to actually work unless you buy a pricey fixed up one from a shop, and that's only if they get turned onto retro gaming from a family member.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 06:44:18 pm »

Yeah I can't stand really anything Pre-NES either.  I have no love or interest or really even tolerance for anything earlier than that.  I appreciate them as game systems and their place in history, but I'm never going to own an Atari.

I don't think it has to do with anything involving imagination, or lack of dexterity, and old games being some how better, it's just a different time.  It would be like saying now "Why aren't people using A track or even cassette tapes any longer!" lol Also most kids have to wait for these old games to get released on online platforms cause there is no way they are gonna want to go out and buy an NES that is unlikely to actually work unless you buy a pricey fixed up one from a shop, and that's only if they get turned onto retro gaming from a family member.

I agree with everything you just said, except that I do own an Atari 2600 and a handful of games because I'm a big gaming history nerd.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 06:47:49 pm »
I agree with everything you just said, except that I do own an Atari 2600 and a handful of games because I'm a big gaming history nerd.

I like the history, I just don't need to own the history beyond NES era lol If somehow I got to the point that I run out of stuff I want to get for NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and a number of other systems post-NES (Not completion wise, just stuff I really want), maybe I could see having a few of those old games for history sake, but that is many years out from now and an unlikely thing to happen anyways lol

That is, unless I become filthy rich, then I'm just gonna build myself a massive collection for the heck of it lol I'd love to get wealthy and then open up a full public arcade with tons of cabinets mixed with like a videogame collection/museum.  Forget fancy cars and stupidly large houses, awesome arcade and hangout area :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:51:26 pm by kamikazekeeg »

pacpix

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:00:50 pm »
My four year old sister watches/plays a lot of retro games with me.  She loves to watch me play Wizardry every night while watching the Mariners, I usually pass off the controller to her if I don't feel like level grinding any more ha.  She also really likes playing Wizard of Wor on Atari 2600, I can help her out as it is Co-Op and the games are quick so it keeps her interest.  Another Co-Op she likes to play is Centipede on the 7800.  Most of the time she has a hard time playing more complex games like Mario so she just watches, but is interested enough that she will probably play them when she is older.  That's one great thing about the WiiU Mario games as she is able to do things with the WiiU pad instead of playing the game with a character. I'll be going to college in a year soon and probably moving out in the next four/five years so I need to corrupt her before I leave :P
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 09:21:08 pm »
She also really likes playing Wizard of Wor on Atari 2600, I can help her out as it is Co-Op and the games are quick so it keeps her interest. 
I have Wizard of Wor, I should try that out.