Author Topic: Microsoft got Tomb Raider exclusivity at Gamecom  (Read 1869 times)

Microsoft got Tomb Raider exclusivity at Gamecom
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:49:08 am »
http://kotaku.com/the-next-tomb-raider-is-an-xbox-exclusive-1620022328

Now correct me I am wrong but didn't square say something about the game selling miserable and being a failure at 3 million sold in a relatively short amount of time?

I assume Microsoft most have covered enough of TR rise that Square won't have to worry about that anymore But this is huge. Just saw this on the Gamecom that just ended.

foxhack

Re: Microsoft got Tomb Raider exclusivity at Gamecom
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:15 am »
It's Squeenix. What did you expect? ::)

argyle

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:27:00 am »
Do you like our hats? They're made of MONEY!

Meh, still not buying a 'bone.  Guess I'll have to settle for the next Uncharted. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:48:06 am »
From what I can see, there are more PS4s out in the wild than XBONEs. In fact it looks like PS4 is selling 2 to 1 over XBONE in Europe alone. I can see that MS wants to use it to sell XBONEs just like the original TR sold PS1s but this just sounds like a stupid decision after Squeenix whining about TR's sales last gen. "Gee, let's see how much we can do this time with one arm tied behind our backs!"

From what I read on the TR site, they just pissed off A LOT of people.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:20:21 pm »
From what I can see, there are more PS4s out in the wild than XBONEs. In fact it looks like PS4 is selling 2 to 1 over XBONE in Europe alone. I can see that MS wants to use it to sell XBONEs just like the original TR sold PS1s but this just sounds like a stupid decision after Squeenix whining about TR's sales last gen. "Gee, let's see how much we can do this time with one arm tied behind our backs!"

From what I read on the TR site, they just pissed off A LOT of people.
Uhhh, no?

As for the other part, I am sure MS helped fund the game or are giving them some kind of Dev freedom like EA did with access. (Or the reason Insomnica made SSO exclusive)

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 05:12:23 pm »
Nowadays, I don't hold too much to Xbone "exclusives" (Dead Rising 3 and Ryse), but this really does suck.  I was actually pretty excited for the game as I enjoyed the last one and I'm hoping for big improvements, but going exclusive like that just kills it for me since I don't plan to ever buy one.  Bit of a bummer start to Gamescom news for me.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:54:24 am »
Prolly an "exclusive" like the 360-exclusive Mass Effect games   :P

I don't even care or pay any attention to who gets what exclusives anymore because everybody always ends up getting everything anyway.

tl;dr

I don't care (or believe) that it will stay an exclusive -and- even if it does, since it's not a RPG or something that I'd play anyway...I don't really care about that either   8)

IMO, 9 times out of 10 threads like this are just troll-ish and made to try to get people arguing and/or upset (read: pointless)  :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 01:59:42 pm »
It's a timed exclusive. Spencer "cleared" stuff up in this Eurogamer interview.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 02:35:39 pm »
It's a timed exclusive. Spencer "cleared" stuff up in this Eurogamer interview.

Doesn't change the original post.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 02:36:47 pm »
Prolly an "exclusive" like the 360-exclusive Mass Effect games   :P

I don't even care or pay any attention to who gets what exclusives anymore because everybody always ends up getting everything anyway.

tl;dr

I don't care (or believe) that it will stay an exclusive -and- even if it does, since it's not a RPG or something that I'd play anyway...I don't really care about that either   8)

IMO, 9 times out of 10 threads like this are just troll-ish and made to try to get people arguing and/or upset (read: pointless)  :P
Mass effect 1? So i have to wait 5 years to play Tombraider on my PS4?

Subject of the thread is mostly about the deal and why Square would do this when 3 million sold of the last game was considered a failure.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 03:01:53 pm »
Subject of the thread is mostly about the deal and why Square would do this when 3 million sold of the last game was considered a failure.

Because:

A) Microsoft paid them

and

B) This way they won't be going head-to-head against the next Uncharted, which will most likely release holiday 2015 as well. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 03:32:07 pm »
Yup, timed exclusive, not so bummed about it now lol

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »

I get that part. I just posted that link for clarity. I have no idea why Square would want to do this at all. They already had the attention from releasing the previous title to high acclaim. I don't feel they needed a "backer" to push this TR title forward unless they are doing much worse financially than everyone thinks due to some sort of mismanagement. You have to wonder why a game that's sold almost 4 million units on X360 & PS3 combined would be considered a failure by anyone. There must be something going on over there and they expected the rebooted TR to bail them out of it.

Another thing is why go to Microsoft? They have a much longer history with Sony and the last title sold better on PS3 worldwide. I'm wondering if SONY was approached first and THEY didn't want it to go head to head with Uncharted, so Square went over to MS for some cash.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 06:17:22 pm »

I get that part. I just posted that link for clarity. I have no idea why Square would want to do this at all. They already had the attention from releasing the previous title to high acclaim. I don't feel they needed a "backer" to push this TR title forward unless they are doing much worse financially than everyone thinks due to some sort of mismanagement. You have to wonder why a game that's sold almost 4 million units on X360 & PS3 combined would be considered a failure by anyone. There must be something going on over there and they expected the rebooted TR to bail them out of it.

Another thing is why go to Microsoft? They have a much longer history with Sony and the last title sold better on PS3 worldwide. I'm wondering if SONY was approached first and THEY didn't want it to go head to head with Uncharted, so Square went over to MS for some cash.
Well it was only like a 400000 gap but going to ms is a bit strange. The theory of the covering losses does not cover if they still need over 3 million to not be a failure so its all very strange.

I am not sure what ms gave them fir exclusivity. The only way this would make some real sense is the timed platform is pc and TR will never come to ps4 because of a policy or something.