Author Topic: Your Gaming Origins  (Read 6235 times)

abe

Re: Your Gaming Origins
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 10:22:36 pm »
-How old were you when you started gaming?
I wasn't old enough to remember what age exactly.

-What did you start on? On a console? In the arcade? On a handheld? Or on a PC?
Mainly PC at home, edutainment titles like Math Blaster, Reader Rabbit, and The Magic School Bus. I also played a fair bit or Lego Island, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and the early Harry Potter games on the PC. I did play some N64 and Dreamcast games at friends and relatives' houses, but didn't own an N64 until years later.

-What was the first console/PC/handheld you owned?
It was actually fairly old compared to most of the kids my age when I got my first system. It was a red GBA SP model AGS-001, which I still have and even kept the box for. ;D My first console was a Platinum DOL-101 model GameCube. Still have the box for that one too.

-What was the game that initially drew you in?
Roller Coaster Tycoon.

-What was your first favorite game?
Roller Coaster Tycoon. :P
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

scott

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 10:37:21 pm »
What are your gaming origins?
My brothers had an Atari 2600 and I remember playing River Raid, Indiana Jones and Popeye on it? That lasted for awhile and I didn't get an NES until after my cousins already had one.

Pretty young. I'd say it was mid-80s? So I'd have been like 4-5?

Atari 2600. But the first system I played a lot of was the NES, which we got for Easter one year. Our first games were Mario/Duck Hunt, Cobra Triangle and 1943.

The first console I owned exclusively was the SNES. The NES and Atari were "Family" systems. I got an SNES for Christmas along with Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Congos Caper and Aladdin.

Super Mario Bros was a big deal. But I also played a crap ton of Duck Hunt and Cobra Triangle. 1943, while I liked it, I also hated it because I could never beat the 1st boss level.

Probably have to go with Super Mario Bros. But as soon as I saw Bionic Commando I loved it instantly. So maybe one of those two. I didn't get into Castlevania stuff until I borrowed Castlevania III from my cousin.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

karyann

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 10:36:43 am »
I had this obsession with pressing buttons and seeing what happened

My brother was the same, I can't remember how many times my parents were embarassed because my brother saw a button somewhere and had to go push it, regardless of its location  ;D

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 02:33:46 pm »
How did this all start?  hmmmmm.....

I would say I was around 5 years old or so. I'm not exactly sure.  It could have been younger.

It was a console.  "Which one?" you ask?  You'll have to wait until the next question.

My first console was an Atari 2600.  Maybe it was my parents.  I'm not sure.  It was a long, long time ago.

The first game that really drew me in was Super Mario Bros.  I studied the manual to that game.  I memorized every character name.  I truly loved Super Mario Bros. 

I think my first favorite was either Baseball, Football, or Pac-Man (yeah, that Pac-Man) on the Atari 2600.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 05:11:14 pm »

I think I was around three or four. Late 80s, anyway.

We had an APF TV Fun pong console (Dad got it for Christmas in the late 70s), Atari 7800 (purchased new as a replacement for another game console after a flood, had the option between that and an NES lol) and two arcade machines in the basement: Popeye and Ms. Pac-Man. We had to sell the arcade machines when we moved but picked up a Sega Master System at a friend's garage sale. We were a bit late to the home computer market; didn't pick a machine up until 1994 (a Dell 486 with Windows 3.1).

The first console I bought retail was the Sega Genesis. That was a lot of saving up for a six-year-old at the time. I was given my dad's Mattel Football handheld as my first portable game machine. I purchased a Sega Nomad around 1998 when I was able to fly with my parents to a company meeting in Hawaii (sooo... many.... batteries). I didn't get an NES until after the N64 came out and people started dumping their older consoles at garage sales and such. Purchased my first retail computer in 2001 (a Fujitsu laptop) and my first arcade machine in 2004 (Omega Race). My second arcade machine (Asteroids Deluxe) was picked up at an auction in 2005.

Shooting Gallery for the Sega Master System. I think I'm still addicted to that. Outside of that, it was Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis.

See above. I also played a lot of Bomber Raid, Alien Syndrome and Astro Warrior on the SMS and Sonic 3 on the Genesis.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 07:54:21 pm »

My brother was the same, I can't remember how many times my parents were embarassed because my brother saw a button somewhere and had to go push it, regardless of its location  ;D

I'm not alone! I once bought 30 gallons of water out of those jug-refill machines when I was a little kid. My mom was pissed.

thekosmickollector

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 01:36:15 am »

I'm not alone! I once bought 30 gallons of water out of those jug-refill machines when I was a little kid. My mom was pissed.

Ahaha, it's good to know I'm not the only one here who did this :P There's an old home video of me when I was little trying to press the buttons on the camera while my mum was filming XD

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 12:35:40 am »

Ahaha, it's good to know I'm not the only one here who did this :P There's an old home video of me when I was little trying to press the buttons on the camera while my mum was filming XD

I also will admit that not only am I a button pusher but my son is also...  :P

mightymeowmixcat

My Gaming Origins
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 05:39:08 pm »

I think I was 3 or 4 years old when I first "played" the SNES.

The Super Nintendo, of course!

The first console I owned was the black GameCube.

The game was A Link To The Past. Fun fact : When I said "played" the game, I meant to constantly go and quit a big fairy's cavern in the dark world and saying like a baby "Yéé j'ai gagné" (If you don't speak french, the translation is "Yay I won").

A Link To The Past, it's also still my favorite game to this day.
*Insert some weird autistic s**t right there*

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 06:08:43 pm »
What are your gaming origins?

About 10 years old IIRC

A pong console, I believe it was one of the Coleco ones. Also played in the arcades at the time, some of the late 70's games like Space Invaders and Speak and Rescue. (Anyone remember that one?)

First console was Atari 2600 - first and best console I've ever owned

Space Invaders

Probably Galaxian.

-Etc.

ffxik

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 04:15:44 pm »

Six or seven. I'm not too sure.  :-\

NES was my first time.  My cousins owned one with Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt.  My younger brother had a friend with an older brother who had one too.

An NES.  We were pretty poor then and my dad actually traded a compound bow to a pawn shop to get ours.  I feel kinda bad about that now that I think about it.

Double Dragon.  I think that may have been because I got bullied a lot when I was younger and the thought of beating the snot out of people just appealed more to me at the time.  I had played Super Mario Bros. but couldn't get into it.

Contrary to the above, that would be Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.  My dad got it and a few other games with the NES he picked up.  My brother and I fought over this game.  We would have shouting matches in the car after school on who called it first when we got home.  Which eventually led my brother to destroying the game.   :'(

davifus

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 04:41:01 pm »
~ Uhhh... around 4 or 5 in Seoul.

~ I started on Snes then my uncle broke it. GBC was next but didn't go into gaming until I got my N64 w/t Mario 64 & Mario Kart. I loved playing it with my family.

~ GBC would be my first personal console or Snes If I count family console.

~ I dont know

- What was your first Favorite game?
~I dont know
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:39:05 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 07:22:47 pm »
4-5 yo

My older cousin was going away to college and gave me her NES and an early 90s Mac. At about the same time I started going to a local arcade. So I guess I started everything at once!

NES, Macintosh LC II

Bubble Bobble (dedicated arcade cabinet)

I used to play with my father a lot. His favorite was SMB2 because of the character selection. I think my first favorite game was the Bubble Bobble arcade machine. I remember entering the building and just sprinting to the thing and hopping up on a stool so I could reach the controls. I enjoyed the characters on the marquee and on screen; not to mention the music. To this day every time I play the NES version I have to plug in my NES Advantage. <3
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:34:01 pm by badATchaos »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 09:43:22 pm »

I hope you guys never run into of these

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 10:40:34 am »

I hope you guys never run into of these

LOL good one ... Space Balls... Right? I am sure I won't press that one... Then again it is a pretty big button ... Lol