Author Topic: Anyone collect sealed video games only?  (Read 3992 times)

karyann

Re: Anyone collect sealed video games only?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 10:31:42 am »
Sealed collectors are a whole other type of crazy imo. I really never understood buying a video game, a form of interactive media, and leaving it sealed. To me it is on par with buying a car and never, or rarely driving it. I've personally met one of these people and they were among they most unpleasant collectors I've ever meant. Who knows though, he is just one person.

I also met that kind of collector, and he was also the like to collect all old systems just because it looks cool. I don't even know the guy, he just forced me to listen to him for 5 minutes in a retro games store  :o I was minding my own business and the guy started telling me how he was going to buy the turbo graphx in that shop because he's "a real collector so [he] really likes old stuff that's pricey and hard to find", how many games he had and how much it was all worth, everything. I kinda just left the store because he was too annoying  ::)

foxhack

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »
Sealed collectors are a whole other type of crazy imo. I really never understood buying a video game, a form of interactive media, and leaving it sealed. To me it is on par with buying a car and never, or rarely driving it. I've personally met one of these people and they were among they most unpleasant collectors I've ever meant. Who knows though, he is just one person.

I also met that kind of collector, and he was also the like to collect all old systems just because it looks cool. I don't even know the guy, he just forced me to listen to him for 5 minutes in a retro games store  :o I was minding my own business and the guy started telling me how he was going to buy the turbo graphx in that shop because he's "a real collector so [he] really likes old stuff that's pricey and hard to find", how many games he had and how much it was all worth, everything. I kinda just left the store because he was too annoying  ::)

It sure must be tough being a woman in this hobby. (No sarcasm.)

If I was a woman I don't think I would've had the patience to deal with someone like that. I barely do with people trying to alpha nerd me. :P

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 04:51:00 pm »

If I was a woman I don't think I would've had the patience to deal with someone like that. I barely do with people trying to alpha nerd me. :P

Heeeyyyy! There's a lady. Let me impress her with the size of my.... backlog

davifus

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 04:53:17 pm »

Heeeyyyy! There's a lady. Let me impress her with the size of my.... backlog

hehehehaha
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

foxhack

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 04:54:38 pm »
*grabs a rolled-up GameFan magazine*

Shoo! *whacks you both with it*

theflea

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 05:18:24 am »
I personally don't hunt down sealed games, i want to play them at some point.
But when i do buy a new game I have a rule it stays sealed til I'm ready to play it.
But some of my older games I never got around to playing and now I feel guilty opening it and end up hunting another loose copy. lol

I had some sealed jaguar games once but I wanted to try them and opened them, when I told a fellow collector he yelled at me like I committed a crime or something. lol
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 06:01:42 am »
But when i do buy a new game I have a rule it stays sealed til I'm ready to play it.
But some of my older games I never got around to playing and now I feel guilty opening it and end up hunting another loose copy. lol

I had some sealed jaguar games once but I wanted to try them and opened them, when I told a fellow collector he yelled at me like I committed a crime or something. lol

LOL. I agree with you on keeping it sealed 'til you're ready to play it. I stopped shopping at Gamestop, because I want to be the one opening my games. If I don't get around to playing it, I have a sealed copy for the collection.

I probably would of freaked a bit if they were my classic sealed games being open. My nephew knows the rules in my game room when he comes over. "If it's sealed...ask me first about playing it."

The collectors editions are usually the only ones I keep sealed. If a game gets past ~10 years or so and I still haven't opened it, I'll just get a used copy or a download version if I ever feel the urge to play it.

I believe collectors want the most pristine items in their collection no matter what it is. Games don't get any better than sealed, unless you're into grading them.

Whether it's stamps, currency, comics, albums, sports cards, video games, cars, the collections in the newest condition are always gonna be valued higher.

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:07 am »
I guess I can see where they are coming from, but its not for me. Although I have a ton of sealed games.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 10:59:53 am »

Pretty much the same.

Sometimes I get extra sealed RPG LE's but, I usually end up selling them to a friend that missed out on it (for about what I paid for it); hell - I've even been known to give them away when I know a friend really wants to play something & I have an extra one.

So, since I buy games faster than I play them -and- since I'll almost always keep it sealed until I'm ready to play it (unless it has an OST that I really want to listen to, or something), I have accumulated a good # of sealed games.

As for collecting *ONLY* sealed games; = fucking madness  :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 11:31:45 am »
just got one sealed game: Scaler [ps2], just keep it because its nice
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 12:17:44 pm »
just got one sealed game: Scaler [ps2], just keep it because its nice

What kind of game is that; never heard of it?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

druaga

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 12:43:53 pm »
If the game has a cult following, or got high praise, but had limited copies (announced) or an announcement of sales floppage, THAT s when you by multiple sealed copies for the game. Especially when it slightly goes down in price temporarily before the spike.

When and end of a game or console cycle starts to come in, like the 360 and PS3 now, although some prices are already rising, THIS is the ONLY time where you can get games which will be worth 10's of 100's for like less than $20. Sealed and used, whether in store or online.

ffxik

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 03:57:42 pm »
I can understand collecting sealed games, especially if multiple copies are your cup of tea.  The ones that collect only sealed games I consider bandwagon bastards.  I count these as the type that has to follow every trend and have the money to throw around.  The reason they collect is simply bragging rights.  I have dealt with two of these guys and they both pretty much view it from the same perspective.  The only thing I heard about from either one was, how many, how much spent, and why we will never be considered "collectors"because we open the games up.  I don't like dealing with these people.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 04:00:07 pm by ffxik »

dreama1

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 09:41:52 pm »
I can understand collecting sealed games, especially if multiple copies are your cup of tea.  The ones that collect only sealed games I consider bandwagon bastards.  I count these as the type that has to follow every trend and have the money to throw around.  The reason they collect is simply bragging rights.  I have dealt with two of these guys and they both pretty much view it from the same perspective.  The only thing I heard about from either one was, how many, how much spent, and why we will never be considered "collectors"because we open the games up.  I don't like dealing with these people.
I can't tell if he has a point or not.

ffxik

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 09:57:40 pm »
I can't tell if he has a point or not.
I can clarify if need be.  I tend to ramble at times.  My brain tends to throw things out faster than I can type.  So I can sometimes be disjointed and fairly broken in my posts.  Prime example above I guess.