Author Topic: September 2014 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 31055 times)

Re: September 2014 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2014, 11:34:42 am »
@ Argyle

FFFUUUUUUUU. . . . .OMG!!! That is a massive score! In terms of both quantity and quality it has been a while since I scored that big. Very nice on those pickups, you pretty much have a quarter of all the must have SNES games right there in the lot, especially a good chunk of the top ten titles :)

argyle

« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2014, 11:39:58 am »
@ Argyle

FFFUUUUUUUU. . . . .OMG!!! That is a massive score! In terms of both quantity and quality it has been a while since I scored that big. Very nice on those pickups, you pretty much have a quarter of all the must have SNES games right there in the lot, especially a good chunk of the top ten titles :)

Yeah, I'm really happy.  Seriously, my SNES/N64 collection as of this time yesterday was:

SNES - Ranma 1/2 (Super Famicom)

To what you see in that picture.  :)  I asked the guy if he had the N64 itself since I don't have one, and he said he couldn't find it.  Shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of one of those tho. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Bwigdahl

« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2014, 11:41:31 am »
Argyle, you have a very Leet collection right now  :P

90snostalga

« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2014, 01:15:26 pm »
Paper Mario and Resident Evil for Gamecube in case only missing manual 5 bucks each  :)

« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2014, 01:51:11 pm »
I got Conker's Bad Fur Day from a game store the other day for 40.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2014, 02:03:43 pm »
Honestly, what I find surprising is that it took over 9000 games before you got Wii Sports Resort ???

Hahahahaha!

What do you buy the man who has everything?

The hing everyone else is most likely to have apparently. :)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »
It would seem that every Argyle really DOES have his day.  :D

I went out to hit sales this morning with 2 main stops in mind - a church sale and a neighborhood that was going to be having a bunch of sales.  The church sale was at 6:00, I got there at 6:15 and they still were a LONG way from being setup.  From what I could tell no one there spoke English, and if they did they had no interest in speaking it to me so I left.  Hit another couple of random sales since the neighborhood sales weren't supposed to start until 7:00, then I headed that way.  First stop I got 4 original Xbox games in questionable condition for $5.  Nothing special, but about average for when I find anything at all around here so I took what I could get.  While I was there these 2 - I'm going to call them "punks", but suffice it to say they were pretty douchey-looking teenagers - came up and asked me if I was getting "the games".  They then asked me who I worked for.  Because that's the only reason I'd be looking for games I suppose?  Anyway, they quickly left. 

Hit another few sales, no luck - at one stop a lady told me about a sale in another neighborhood where she saw a bunch of games and I thanked her but kinda doubted I'd head that way, because by the time I got there they'd probably be sold out anyway.  Instead I went one sale down the street and did my usual, asked if they had any old games they were selling.  This younger teen guy asks me what kind, and I tell him it doesn't matter, I collect.  He then leads me inside and says the guy that owns the sale (the kid tells me he's just helping him out) is planning on taking these games up to the retro game store this afternoon - this is the same store I went to last weekend.  I look, and he has all spread out nes, snes & n64 games along with a handful of PS2 games that are nothing special.  But the others - oh man, he doesn't just have old games.  Oh no, he has GOOD old games.  I'm talking about these:

IMG_4154

I checked to make sure I wasn't drooling, then asked the kid who I needed to talk to to discuss prices.  He takes me to the guy, who is nice enough but seems generally uninterested.  He asks the kid how much he figures the games are worth, and he tells the guy he'd probably get "no more than $10/game" from the retro store.  I only had $35 on me at this point, so I pick out the ones I'm most interested in - FF II & III, Super Metroid, Link to the Past & Donkey Kong Country.  He originally says $40 but agrees to take the $35 I had on me. 

I left heading home since I was tapped, but couldn't stop thinking about what I was leaving behind.  I live about 10 mins away from the sale, so when I got home I tell my wife what I found & asks if she cares if I get some more cash out to spend on the others.  She agrees, so I hit the bank & then head back to the sale.  I tell the guy what happened & say I'm interested in buying some of the others.  He leads me back inside and then just kinda leaves me there this time - I tell him I'm gonna pick out everything I'm interested in and then we can haggle out a price and he says it sounds good.  I grab the other 9, which were some I really wanted (the other Zeldas & that Ogre Battle especially) and anything else that looks half-way appealing to me.  He had a FF7 that I was going to get, but when I opened it up I saw the first disk had been resurfaced - very, very poorly - and the disks were mis-matched between those from the original release & those from the GH.  He also had the original Zelda for NES but there was something rattling in it and it wasn't in the best of shape.  I have that anyway, would have just been getting it to trade or sell, so I left it.  Took those 9 out & showed him the stack.  He barely looks at it & just goes "wanna do $40 again?"  I couldn't say yes fast enough! ;D

So for those of you keeping score, that's just over $5/game total.  Win!  8)

Awesome score man! I am genuinely happy for you!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2014, 02:16:52 pm »
It's obvious that resellers are blanketing my area. Any sale I get to after 9:00am is picked clean.

This week I decided to check my local craigslist the night before. Specifically for sales that mention video games.

Then I specifically targeted stuff either a mile from my house or out in the boonies.

It paid off.

Original Xbox with 2 controllers & av/power hook ups. $5
The catch here is the DVD drive tray won't eject. Luckily I happen to have a spare Xbox DVD drive whose tray works perfectly but the laser is shot... I should have this thing fixed by the end of today!

All the PS3 games were $2 each

Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

And the steel book collectors case for Dead Island Riptide

It's no Argyle haul. But I think I did ok.

argyle

« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2014, 03:05:23 pm »
It's obvious that resellers are blanketing my area. Any sale I get to after 9:00am is picked clean.

This week I decided to check my local craigslist the night before. Specifically for sales that mention video games.

Then I specifically targeted stuff either a mile from my house or out in the boonies.

It paid off.

The catch here is the DVD drive tray won't eject. Luckily I happen to have a spare Xbox DVD drive whose tray works perfectly but the laser is shot... I should have this thing fixed by the end of today!

Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide

Heck, that haul is nothing to sneeze at - I bought just that steelbook case for DR:R off of ebay earlier this year & paid about $10 just for that alone!  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Bwigdahl

« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »
Went to my 2 favorite game stores today and got some stuff I'd been wanting for a while and took advantage of some of the deals they had going on... I went to some garage sales but like always  for me I couldn't find any games at all any of the ones I picked... Also stopped by a few thrift stores and pretty much all they had were sports titles as always! here were my findings. All of these are CIB.

PS2
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
Unlimited Saga
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
Rebel Raiders Operation Nighthawk

PS1
Tenchu Stealth Assassins

DS
Contra 4
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (Free!)

Xbox 360
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Lost Planet 2 (Free!)

Xbox
Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30 (This was the only thing I found at Goodwill that wasn't a sports title. It was complete with everything and in good shape overall and it was only $1.50 so I decided to grab it)

Ended up spending around 70 bucks for everything which I was happy with. the free games were a nice little bonus.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:25:03 pm by Bwigdahl »

davifus

« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2014, 03:12:35 pm »

It paid off.

Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide

Heck, that haul is nothing to sneeze at - I bought just that steelbook case for DR:R off of ebay earlier this year & paid about $10 just for that alone!  :)

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

theflea

« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2014, 03:36:27 pm »
It would seem that every Argyle really DOES have his day.  :D

I went out to hit sales this morning with 2 main stops in mind - a church sale and a neighborhood that was going to be having a bunch of sales.  The church sale was at 6:00, I got there at 6:15 and they still were a LONG way from being setup.  From what I could tell no one there spoke English, and if they did they had no interest in speaking it to me so I left.  Hit another couple of random sales since the neighborhood sales weren't supposed to start until 7:00, then I headed that way.  First stop I got 4 original Xbox games in questionable condition for $5.  Nothing special, but about average for when I find anything at all around here so I took what I could get.  While I was there these 2 - I'm going to call them "punks", but suffice it to say they were pretty douchey-looking teenagers - came up and asked me if I was getting "the games".  They then asked me who I worked for.  Because that's the only reason I'd be looking for games I suppose?  Anyway, they quickly left. 

Hit another few sales, no luck - at one stop a lady told me about a sale in another neighborhood where she saw a bunch of games and I thanked her but kinda doubted I'd head that way, because by the time I got there they'd probably be sold out anyway.  Instead I went one sale down the street and did my usual, asked if they had any old games they were selling.  This younger teen guy asks me what kind, and I tell him it doesn't matter, I collect.  He then leads me inside and says the guy that owns the sale (the kid tells me he's just helping him out) is planning on taking these games up to the retro game store this afternoon - this is the same store I went to last weekend.  I look, and he has all spread out nes, snes & n64 games along with a handful of PS2 games that are nothing special.  But the others - oh man, he doesn't just have old games.  Oh no, he has GOOD old games.  I'm talking about these:

IMG_4154

I checked to make sure I wasn't drooling, then asked the kid who I needed to talk to to discuss prices.  He takes me to the guy, who is nice enough but seems generally uninterested.  He asks the kid how much he figures the games are worth, and he tells the guy he'd probably get "no more than $10/game" from the retro store.  I only had $35 on me at this point, so I pick out the ones I'm most interested in - FF II & III, Super Metroid, Link to the Past & Donkey Kong Country.  He originally says $40 but agrees to take the $35 I had on me. 

I left heading home since I was tapped, but couldn't stop thinking about what I was leaving behind.  I live about 10 mins away from the sale, so when I got home I tell my wife what I found & asks if she cares if I get some more cash out to spend on the others.  She agrees, so I hit the bank & then head back to the sale.  I tell the guy what happened & say I'm interested in buying some of the others.  He leads me back inside and then just kinda leaves me there this time - I tell him I'm gonna pick out everything I'm interested in and then we can haggle out a price and he says it sounds good.  I grab the other 9, which were some I really wanted (the other Zeldas & that Ogre Battle especially) and anything else that looks half-way appealing to me.  He had a FF7 that I was going to get, but when I opened it up I saw the first disk had been resurfaced - very, very poorly - and the disks were mis-matched between those from the original release & those from the GH.  He also had the original Zelda for NES but there was something rattling in it and it wasn't in the best of shape.  I have that anyway, would have just been getting it to trade or sell, so I left it.  Took those 9 out & showed him the stack.  He barely looks at it & just goes "wanna do $40 again?"  I couldn't say yes fast enough! ;D

So for those of you keeping score, that's just over $5/game total.  Win!  8)

Good find man, see I'm not the only one who has luck at the sales.  ;)
"Happy game hunting!!!"

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2014, 04:24:09 pm »
Just finished dropping stuff off at the thrift store next to Goodwill. First time I ever donated to this one.

The guy handed me a coupon for 20% off my next purchase in their store.

So I figured "what the heck they usually have something".

Walked out with another original xbox for $10 (console only no games or hookups).

Just tested it and it works perfectly.

So now I have 4 xboxes. My primary, a spare. And two for trade. :)

If anybody is looking for an Original xbox with upgrades (bigger hard drive, xbox media center, etc.) I am open to trade offers. Just check out my wishlist.

Especially if you have a CDX or 3DO for trade. :)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2014, 06:06:02 pm »
After originally passing on a game on my first stop, I decided to go back to one of the shops and pick up Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii... It's the steelbook version but only with the manual, no art book or slip cover. But for 40 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2014, 06:37:27 pm »
After originally passing on a game on my first stop, I decided to go back to one of the shops and pick up Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii... It's the steelbook version but only with the manual, no art book or slip cover. But for 40 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

Good pickup. It's the definitive edition.

I pre-ordered that sucker.

Steel book, art book, t-shirt, and poster! It was a hell of a bundle!

Does anyone remember the channel they had on Wii with the teaser trailer?

Shame the content was all streamed. :(
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:40:08 pm by dashv »