Author Topic: 99Gamers.com  (Read 2700 times)

argyle

Re: 99Gamers.com
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38:57 am »
Thanks for the tip, BD!

I really am already content with using this site + friends (yeah, it helps that I'm good friends with other gamers who buy, sell, and trade games for a living), getting a heads up from a co-conspirator who manages a GS store before they go throwing away perfectly good gaming shit, and being pretty much known as the "go to guy" around here so that plenty of people think to check with/come to me when they're looking to sell their stuff before/instead of giving it away to a GS or a pawn shop.

It's almost always *easy* to give them double to triple what a store would give them, and still resell most items for double to triple what I paid...while *still* being able to undercut the store's going rates;

this fact tells a pretty sad tale of the state of our current gaming stores, does it not   :o

Add yard sales to the mix & I've been lucky enough to have not needed to support any of the on-line middlemen to sell anything for several years now   ;D

C.A.G. can also get you pretty good results sometimes too but, I haven't done anything there for years now either...you still at all active over there Greg?

I check CAG regularly for deals, but if you mean trading then no - I stopped trading on CAG years ago.  It wasn't that anyone didn't hold up their end of the trade (well, there was one guy, but he was banned and that was forever ago) but rather just the nature of trying to trade on that particular site.  The whole purpose of the site is to get games as cheap as possible, so if some store had a loophole once where you could buy Smash Bros. for $5, then the person trading with you expects you to value your copy at $5. 

I've also never gotten into the "community" aspect of that site, since it's pretty disjointed in that aspect and there's a lot of people coming & going all the time.  So I typically only post to comment on a deal, thank someone for posting a deal I used, etc. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
I check CAG regularly for deals, but if you mean trading then no - I stopped trading on CAG years ago.  It wasn't that anyone didn't hold up their end of the trade (well, there was one guy, but he was banned and that was forever ago) but rather just the nature of trying to trade on that particular site.  The whole purpose of the site is to get games as cheap as possible, so if some store had a loophole once where you could buy Smash Bros. for $5, then the person trading with you expects you to value your copy at $5. 

I've also never gotten into the "community" aspect of that site, since it's pretty disjointed in that aspect and there's a lot of people coming & going all the time.  So I typically only post to comment on a deal, thank someone for posting a deal I used, etc.

I hang around there, but I only visit the Steam-related deals thread. I have fun there. :P

But the trading section can be... yeesh...

argyle

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 11:44:05 am »

I hang around there, but I only visit the Steam-related deals thread. I have fun there. :P

That's my main issue with that site, they have these mega threads and you pretty much have to pick one or two to keep up with and those are like their own isolated communities.  Then if someone makes a thread for a deal that was mentioned in one of those mega threads, everyone loses their mind and jumps all over the poor guy, because of course everyone is supposed to follow every single one of those gigantic threads and already know about all the deals mentioned there.   ::)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 12:22:37 pm »

That's my main issue with that site, they have these mega threads and you pretty much have to pick one or two to keep up with and those are like their own isolated communities.  Then if someone makes a thread for a deal that was mentioned in one of those mega threads, everyone loses their mind and jumps all over the poor guy, because of course everyone is supposed to follow every single one of those gigantic threads and already know about all the deals mentioned there.   ::)

Agree w/ both of you guys - it's not a very...'welcoming' kind of site/vibe that draws in new members to becoming actively involved and friendly w/ the community; "disjointed" is an excellent adjective for it, Greg   8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 03:18:03 pm »
Wanted to throw a link up to my meager selection of goods I have left up on the site (hope that's okay):

https://99gamers.com/BurningDoom