Author Topic: crappiest system you ever owned?  (Read 11745 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: crappiest system you ever owned?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 11:55:50 am »
I have never owned a crappy system, but in terms of quality that would be the XBOX 360. My original 360 Elite quite reading disks about a year and a half after owning it, and then after fixing it, it went RRoD on me 3-months later. Very low quality system, I'm surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit against MS.

I had my 360 pro since 08 and it never failed or RROD on my me soooo it could of been you or that specific console.

You are the first person I have ever known that only had 1 360 and no problem with it.

The 20 other people I know are on their second or 3rd. One is on his fourth. The failure rate was something like 28%. It got so bad there almost was a class action lawsuit. But before it gained steam Microsoft retroactively expanded their warrantee time period to appease those affected.

There was definitely a big failure rate. I remember how many people were pissed, and it was the main reason they released the sleeker, revised 360.

However, I've been lucky enough to still have my original 360. It still runs great. My only issue is that the disc-tray will get stuck if I don't have a disc in it, but that's easy enough to fix by keeping a game in there.

dreama1

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:26 am »
I have never owned a crappy system, but in terms of quality that would be the XBOX 360. My original 360 Elite quite reading disks about a year and a half after owning it, and then after fixing it, it went RRoD on me 3-months later. Very low quality system, I'm surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit against MS.

I had my 360 pro since 08 and it never failed or RROD on my me soooo it could of been you or that specific console.
Yes mine broke as well. Had a dust cover for it and everything. Never buying there products anymore.
You are the first person I have ever known that only had 1 360 and no problem with it.

The 20 other people I know are on their second or 3rd. One is on his fourth. The failure rate was something like 28%. It got so bad there almost was a class action lawsuit. But before it gained steam Microsoft retroactively expanded their warrantee time period to appease those affected.

This is the main reason I never have and may never own an XBox 360.
Yes mine broke as well treated it very well had a dust cover and everything. Never buying there products again.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »
Tiger R-Zone is the crappiest one for me. Screen, controller, games... all sucks!

davifus

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:56 pm »

Supposedly the black models are better about not overheating but I don't know anyone with the black model.

I guess Im part of that 1% and do you mean the Elite?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 12:49:31 pm »

Yes mine broke as well. Had a dust cover for it and everything. Never buying there products anymore.

Yes mine broke as well treated it very well had a dust cover and everything. Never buying there products again.

The dust-cover probably exasperated the problem. Overheating was the main-culprit of 360 failures.

dreama1

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 01:03:44 pm »

The dust-cover probably exasperated the problem. Overheating was the main-culprit of 360 failures.
Yeah but dust also fucks it.

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 02:39:21 pm »

Supposedly the black models are better about not overheating but I don't know anyone with the black model.

I've had mine for about that long, I believe, and it's been fine *knock on wood*.  I bought it for Rock Band when it came out, so that was probably back in 2007 or '08.  I used to use it a lot more back in the day, but it's been more of a giant paperweight for the last few years.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 02:42:16 pm »
Overheating pretty much sealed all of the original xbox 360's fates, since microsoft decided to create their own gpu after severing ties with nvidia. What resulted from this( and this can happen on the original ps3 models because of bad placing of thermal paste, thanks to dashv's research) is that the heat dispersed from the gpu can't be negated by the internal system fans and eats away at the solder, causing the system to overtime becomes hotter in temperature until it overheats the rest of the components inside, which causes a general hardware failure and that infamous "Red Ring of Death"( or YYLOD in the original ps3 models). It may also have to do with bad soldering in the system, or using kinect with the older xbox's, but the 360 has lots of technical problems with its system, that sticking with the newer models seems to be the best bet at getting around the problems, although this could cause price spikes in the future if people really want the system but there are going to be way too many faulty consoles out there that can't be used for a long period of time thanks to its problems.

byron

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 04:02:19 pm »
Tiger R-Zone is the crappiest one for me. Screen, controller, games... all sucks!

I can think of something nice to say about every other system I own that's notorious for being awful.

The 3DO has a disgraceful library and it looks like a VCR, but it was well built and powerful for its time and it had that cool controller daisy-chaining feature.

The Microvision is a terrible brown failure brick, but I am impressed by the games they managed to create with 256 monochrome pixels.

The CD-i has given us all the gift of laughter. Is that not enough?

But the R-Zone... That thing is just indefensible. Especially the head strap one; it's like an insane nightmare. I have to give it to R-Zone, there is nothing worse.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 07:54:45 pm »

I can think of something nice to say about every other system I own that's notorious for being awful.

The 3DO has a disgraceful library and it looks like a VCR, but it was well built and powerful for its time and it had that cool controller daisy-chaining feature.

The Microvision is a terrible brown failure brick, but I am impressed by the games they managed to create with 256 monochrome pixels.

The CD-i has given us all the gift of laughter. Is that not enough?

But the R-Zone... That thing is just indefensible. Especially the head strap one; it's like an insane nightmare. I have to give it to R-Zone, there is nothing worse.

I'll take that challenge:

I give you the Game Wizard:

It's a handheld, that played different Tiger LCD games, as if one of them wasn't bad enough. This is pre-Game.Com, so even crappier, if you can imagine. This is like watch-LCD graphics; and of course Tiger's infamously bad game-design.

When I was a kid, I had the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers-themed one seen here:

But no matter what theme you had, it played all the different games. So I guess it had that going for it, at least. It could play multiple crappy games.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:57:01 pm by burningdoom »

byron

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 09:13:26 pm »
That Game Wizard thing looks to be functionally identical to the R-Zone. They both had cartridges with transparent LCD screens in them, only the R-Zone's were smaller and were projected onto a reflective surface to be visible.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 01:15:17 am »

I'm on #4

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 02:24:39 am »

Pretty sure the original 360 has a very high failure rate. If yours still works then you are one of the lucky ones. I have a slim now and it has worked fine thus far.

shwabadi

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 10:55:38 am »
Unfortunately, my Master System II...
The controller is god awful and the pause button is on the actual console. Who designed this thing??
Not to mention 90% of the games for it seem like dumbed down versions of Mega Drive games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 12:08:33 pm »
Unfortunately, my Master System II...
The controller is god awful and the pause button is on the actual console. Who designed this thing??
Not to mention 90% of the games for it seem like dumbed down versions of Mega Drive games.

Well the Master System is only 8-bit vs. the 16-bit Mega Drive, so that would be why they seemed dumbed-down. But I wouldn't say it was 90%. There were some Sega Genesis ports on the Master System, but they only account for a fraction of Master System's library.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:18:02 pm by burningdoom »