Author Topic: Best shoot em up games ever?  (Read 7261 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Best shoot em up games ever?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »
Too many. I can really get into a good shoot-em up.

I'm not into bullet-hell games, though, I just don't have the skill to enjoy those.

A list of some of my favorites:
-Blazing Lazers
-Darius Gaiden & G-Darius
-Dragon Spirit: The New Legend
-G-Darius
-Gradius series
-Lords of Thunder (greatest video game soundtrack EVER!)
-Raiden series
-Ray Storm
-Star Soldier
-Thunder Force V

maximo310

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 07:51:13 pm »
I have a few more to add to my list from earlier: Border Down, Zero Gunner 2, Armored Police Batrider, Battle Garegga, and Terra Diver

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 08:30:27 pm »
How appropriate that this thread comes about when I've been on a "shoot-em-up" buying spree as of late. I just got Platypus for the PSP and recently got Silpheed on PS2. I'll probably be putting most of the ones listed on this thread on my wish list.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

argyle

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:08 am »
I've always been a sucker for R-Type.  Close runner-ups would probably be the Life Force series & Gun.Smoke (NES ver.) - if that last one counts. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 10:34:20 am »
I've always been a sucker for R-Type.  Close runner-ups would probably be the Life Force series & Gun.Smoke (NES ver.) - if that last one counts. 

I've never been able to accomplish much of anything in an R-Type game.  I think the slow pace is just something that my brain can't grasp. 

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 10:57:33 am »
I'm not a fan of shooter.  That's mainly because I suck at them.  However, I just got Terra Cresta and I'm enjoying it so far.  Probably not the best ever, but I like it.

I like Legendary Wings too.

maximo310

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 10:38:36 pm »
I'm not a fan of shooter.  That's mainly because I suck at them.  However, I just got Terra Cresta and I'm enjoying it so far.  Probably not the best ever, but I like it.

I like the game as well too  as one of Capcom's earliest shmups( I believe 1986)with its mix of shmup and side scrolling platformer to prevent the game from getting too boring. I have the original emulated arcade version on my Capcom Classic Collection for Xbox and I love the art style of the game as well. Do you play it on the NES version?

maximo310

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 10:39:54 pm »
Also, here's a cool guide for people who want to get into bullet-hell shmups as well called The Full Extent of the Jam. Its not for everyone, but it's worth a look if you're interested: http://forum.shmupemall.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=431#p9243

dreama1

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 11:30:46 pm »
Also, here's a cool guide for people who want to get into bullet-hell shmups as well called The Full Extent of the Jam. Its not for everyone, but it's worth a look if you're interested: http://forum.shmupemall.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=431#p9243
You notice the ps3 has hardly any shoot em ups? Why xbox owners get them no one cares about xbox.

maximo310

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 11:46:29 pm »
You notice the ps3 has hardly any shoot em ups? Why xbox owners get them no one cares about xbox.
The reason behind it was that the xbox 360( and maybe xbox live online arcade) is easier to develop games for the ps3, and in most territories( Especially in Japan with CAVE), most of the shmups were released in the early years of the xbox 360 as exclusives for the system, which brought some people to the xbox 360 because of exclusivity, but not as many as they hoped with their exclusives. Microsoft spent quite a bit of money getting these exclusives for the console for the early to mid part of the 360 for physical releases, especially since they thought it would help their sales in Japan, despite the fact the 360 did worse in Japan than the original Xbox. Now, the xbox 360 has the majority of shmups, some of them were region free, some were region locked to japan, and a few were localized to North America, although for ps3, you can get Under Defeat HD for NA, and Ketsui and Caldarius Blaze for a region free Japanese release for physical PS3 releases. I did see that Raiden V is going to be a Xbox One exclusive since Moss has generally supported Microsoft's consoles since the 360, and PS4 is getting Ubusana as an exclusive, which is being made by the guy who created Gradius V, Radiant Silvergun, and Ikaruga, so right now considering the shmup market's state and the early part of the 8th generation for home consoles, its going to be a while before we see more shmups on the market.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 12:12:53 pm »

Yeah, Legendary Wings is very cool. Love the fantasy style of it.

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 09:21:58 am »

I keep seeing this game lately.  I guess I should finally pick it up.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 09:37:21 am »

I keep seeing this game lately.  I guess I should finally pick it up.

It's an odd duck, but for the money it's a great game.  You should easily find it for $5-$10. 

I really need to make a list of games that are high VALUE.  It may be some type of Fun/$ type rating.  This would fit perfectly in there.

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 06:49:55 am »
In some form of order:
Crimsonland (PC)
Beat Hazard (PC)
Chicken Invaders 4 (PC)
Llamatron 2112 (PC)

maximo310

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 10:51:50 am »
In some form of order:
Crimsonland (PC)
Beat Hazard (PC)
Chicken Invaders 4 (PC)
Llamatron 2112 (PC)
How is chicken invaders 4? Is it a more diverse game than its predecessors?