Author Topic: New at this - What happens when deleted?  (Read 1318 times)

New at this - What happens when deleted?
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:35:39 am »
Hi, this is my first post. I'm glad I found this web, looks really great.

I have a doubt. Since I had to add some games that were not already listed... what happens if eventually there are a duplicated item, and the administrators decide to erase the one in my collection?

What I mean is, if some item in my collection gets deleted... will I be notified?

I hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT..........

This is a perfect example: there are two entries of Body Harvest for the N64. I guess I would have to choose one, but what happens if someday the one I chose is the one that gets deleted? Will it be erased and I will never know an item has disappeared from my collection?

http://vgcollect.com/item/24627
http://vgcollect.com/item/55731
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:45:20 am by xuso »

ffxik

Re: New at this - What happens when deleted?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 05:46:37 am »
Welcome aboard!  ;D

As far as it goes I cannot speak for the admins.  So take this for what it is.  If I had to guess they probably go by the item numbers when added to the databases.  If yours is truly the first to be added then subsequent repeat additions will probably be deleted.  Like your Body Harvest example.  Ones number is 24627 the other is 55731.  So the latter number should get deleted.  That just makes sense to me anyway.   :-\

I don't think you are notified.  You just kind of notice it when going through your collection.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:50:48 am by ffxik »

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:55:25 am »
Welcome on board ^^
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:57:43 am »
They will be merged with the existing item, so collecters who are on that item will also go to that existing item.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:17:27 am »
Thanks for the welcoming :)

ffxik, the thing is that if you have a large number of items you will probably won't notice going trough your collection... I mean, one of the points of this collections is to help you remember your games! If one disappears I will most likely not notice.

Fazerco, I'm glad to hear that. That solution makes sense.

See you!

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:39:48 am »
Thanks for the welcoming :)

ffxik, the thing is that if you have a large number of items you will probably won't notice going trough your collection... I mean, one of the points of this collections is to help you remember your games! If one disappears I will most likely not notice.

Fazerco, I'm glad to hear that. That solution makes sense.

See you!

Believe it or not I can stand in a game store and tell my wife which games we own and which we don't when she asks.  I pretty much have the whole thing memorized.  So when I do actually take the time to cruse through it, I notice.   ;)

They will be merged with the existing item, so collecters who are on that item will also go to that existing item.

I don't know why that never occurred to me.   :-[

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:42:00 am by ffxik »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 08:23:20 am »

I was going to say this.

Anyway, welcome to VGC!

We have an "Intro" thread where you can say hello & tell us a bit about yourself and a "General" 'VGC Anonymous' thread where you can get to know most us 'regulars', and talk about whatever you want to.

Enjoy your stay!

"You can checkout any time you like -but- you can never leave:o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

matt

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:46:29 am »
Everyone has already chimed in but yes...we have a merge tool. We basically take the more complete listing as the 'master' listing. If people have already added the game to their collection, wish list or sell list - the merge tool will move them over to the master listing.

and welcome!

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 01:41:12 pm »
Ok, thanks Matt!