Author Topic: Where the hell is all the love for "Gotham" coming from?  (Read 800 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Where the hell is all the love for "Gotham" coming from?
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:13:24 am »
My wife and I just watched the pilot on HULU and gave up on it 35 minutes in.

I was a bit hopeful when they started with Cat Woman witnessing the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents. The murder itself was a shot for shot. Word for word recreation of how it was done in Batman Begins.

It wasn't a bad start at all. Unfortunately, the show continues and it's not pretty.

The acting is stilted. They have more plot lines opening up in the pilot than LOST had in it's entire series.

Riddler and Pengiun are very in your face spending most of their time on screen making sure you know who they will eventually be.

The camera work is way too static for the action sequences they try to capture and the show manages to be laughably silly while simultaneously taking itself too seriously.

Am I way off base or does this have "cancelled" written all over it?

Re: Where the hell is all the love for "Gotham" coming from?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:18:21 am »
My wife and I just watched the pilot on HULU and gave up on it 35 minutes in.

I was a bit hopeful when they started with Cat Woman witnessing the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents. The murder itself was a shot for shot. Word for word recreation of how it was done in Batman Begins.

It wasn't a bad start at all. Unfortunately, the show continues and it's not pretty.

The acting is stilted. They have more plot lines opening up in the pilot than LOST had in it's entire series.

Riddler and Pengiun are very in your face spending most of their time on screen making sure you know who they will eventually be.

The camera work is way too static for the action sequences they try to capture and the show manages to be laughably silly while simultaneously taking itself too seriously.

Am I way off base or does this have "cancelled" written all over it?

I think your pretty way off in it being an inevitable canceled show, I actually thought it wasn't that bad.  I mean if Arrow can make it past it's awful first season beginnings, Gotham has the chance to grow.  I think the show is better when it isn't dealing with the villain of the day because unlike Arrow or what the Flash will be, Gotham just has normal cops going up against the baddies and that isn't very fun.  I think it actually has a lot of potential if they utilize characters like Penguin right.  Riddler was very badly used, so hopefully they tone him back since he's gotten his time, but I think Penguin is probably one of the better characters in the show lol

bobster

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:58:56 am »
So I've watched the episodes that have come out so far. After watching the first episode, I whole heatedly thought the same thing Dash. The show made it painfully obvious who those villains were and I hated that. But after the first episode, it tones it down. It's not as in your face as the pilot episode is.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the story yet. I expected way less Bruce Wayne and Alfred, and I'm not crazy about their characters/actors. The penguin has become surprisingly interesting though.

I do agree it's not a great show by any means. I told my girlfriend I'd give it five episodes then see how I feel about it. At the end of the day, Harvey Bullock's actor keeps me coming back.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 11:47:24 am »
So off base. This show is hit with everyone I talk to. And it definitely has the look and feel of a Batman comic down to a tee. And the acting and sets are SUPERB for a T.V. show.

But if you were expecting a Batman show, that's not what it was supposed to be. It's a cop show, set in the Gotham.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:39:42 pm »
So off base. This show is hit with everyone I talk to. And it definitely has the look and feel of a Batman comic down to a tee. And the acting and sets are SUPERB for a T.V. show.

But if you were expecting a Batman show, that's not what it was supposed to be. It's a cop show, set in the Gotham.

I respect your differing opinion.

I knew going in it wasn't Batman. But the rivalry between Harvey and Gordon seems very forced to me. Gordon is introduced as less of a rookie with a good heart and more of a prince among thieves. I get it. It's his show not Batmans. But you don't need to make a big show out of him being a hero 5 minutes in. Him making good on his promise to Bruce to find his parents killer will do that by itself. Him stepping in and stopping Penguin from beating the guy in the alley does it.

In general the show seems to constantly underestimate it's audience hand holding and in your facing every character and plot point to make sure you can't miss it.

The cop show intent wasn't lost on me. I've just been very spoiled by shows like Continuum doing it way better. Better sets, acting, cinematography, and story.

I guess I wanted something with the production quality of that or Smallville, or Agents of Shield.

That's my biggest beef I guess. The level of polish does not seem up to par with the caliber of IP they have to work with.

Just my opinion. Not trying to troll. Hearing the penguin has an interesting story arc is good. Hearing the silliness tames itself a bit a few episodes in is good.

If you folks are still on board by episode 13 I might give it a second chance.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:48:48 pm by dashv »