Author Topic: The Duping Situation  (Read 3834 times)

davifus

Re: The Duping Situation
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »
Hey all - we are working a few long short term solutions. Those involve:

- some sort of edit/submission gate, which I think is going to be a forum post count. Even a single post would be sufficient. This way 1.) they'd establish a presence 2.) we'd be able to follow up with a link to the style guide and 3.) It'd allow us mods to shoot them a PM when they screw up.

- updates to the submission search. The main site search received some updates over the last few months, but the submission search hasn't. This is coming real soon.

- new staff. We have a few new staff members joining soon (as soon as I have time to set it up, they know who they are). :)

- chat. I'd love to get an IRC channel going. We've discussed this in the past but no one took the lead. If anyone is familiar with it, feel free to get that ball rolling.

All that being said, what we don't want to do is limit new users from contributing. That is one of the MAIN issues I was trying to solves when building VGC. Every other system had a long, drawn out approval process in place that felt so restrictive. We'll never get rid of dupes 100%, but these updates should drastically reduce them.

Thanks for the Update
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 01:17:37 pm »
An idea to nip this in the bud:

At ComicCollectorLive.com, there are users that are known as approvers. Anyone can add information to their database, but it has to go through an approval wich the approvers do. I don't know if anyone is willing to take on that role here, but with multiple volunteers it wouldn't have to be put on one person's shoulders (which is how it is at CCL).

davifus

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 01:36:41 pm »
Oh yeah what are the new staff for? New admins or Mod?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 02:28:03 pm »

Disgaeniac for president!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 03:13:08 pm »

Well, at CCL they aren't staff, they aren't paid. They're volunteers just like the mods. I'm sure VGCollect doesn't have the money to pay anyone, either, even if they went for my idea. Or else they'd have paid people to add and update the database already, I'm sure.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 03:30:49 am »
Matt thank you for the update!

I believe what Matt said is true. Let's keep the submission processes very simple. Requiring an approval process really slows you down when trying to keep your collection up to date. It's the main reason I joined VGcollect, and moved away from RFgen.   

Requiring new users to have a few posts in the forums is a good idea.  Also I believe when they update the submission search feature, that should really help the noobs realize their duplicating an entry.