Author Topic: Sega add ons  (Read 1242 times)

Sega add ons
« on: October 25, 2014, 03:52:23 am »
im debating on buying a sega cd and a 32x... are they worth it?

Re: Sega add ons
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:31:02 am »
I know a lot of people might disagree with me, but I'd say no to both, but each of them for a different reason.

Sega CD: They are notoriously unreliable consoles, especially the model 1, and the games are very hard to find. You'll likely be going to Ebay to get most of the good games, but it'll cost you.

32X: It has a very small and mostly unimpressive library of games. Many of the games have better ports on other consoles.

Bottom line, if you can wrangle these consoles and the games for them for cheap go for it, but unless you really have a thing for either I'd pass.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:22:56 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 12:01:20 pm »
The sega cd isn't too bad on reliability it's usually an easy cheap fix, just a fuse. I rather like the cd too, Earthworm Jim Special Edition, Snatcher, Shining Force there are a couple good Shooters and JRPG's as well

The 32X is ok it's good on it's sega arcade ports and some decent platformers. Just make sure you get the extension cable if your using it with a Model 1 genesis

byron

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:24:43 pm »
The Sega CD is cool to have because it has no copy protection. You can easily find ISOs of all the games on the internet and download/burn the ones you have already legitimately purchased. For backup purposes, obviously. You should never ever abuse this ability to burn any game you want because that's horrible and illegal and immoral and I would never do that on a constant basis.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:25:47 pm »
IMO, no. You need to be a Sega die hard. I've got both. Too hard to find outside of eBay. Unimpressive libraries, mostly. With the SCD, snagging the top regarded games (of which aren't very many) will run about two grand, otherwise there is an absurd amount of FMV crap, and a few decent ports.

SCD is actually what got me into collecting, but in retrospect, not really worth it.  :P

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:34:38 pm »
I was just asking about this, I have a sega cd that came in part of a deal, and very unimpressed with it, and was considering selling it, but was wondering if I would regret it later.... the few games ive played I hated it. Not to mention it is a PITA to set up with all the cords..... Maybe ill just sell it to help fund a ps4.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »
I can back-up the unreliable Sega CD claim. I'm a collector and take care of my consoles. And the laser in mine burnt out. I had the Model 1.

I think the bigger problem is finding games for them. If you live in an area where Sega CD games are accessible, then I say go for it. It does have a decent library of games. But if you don't, then it's not worth it. Because online buying for Sega CD can get quite expensive.

Sega 32X, I really have no idea. I've never owned one. But being that the entire library consists of something like 30 games, I'm not sure I would want to drop $100 on one.

The best accessory, really, is the Sega Power Base Converter. It allows you to play Sega Master System cartridges and cards on your Sega Genesis.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 01:54:17 pm »
I just bought the 32x about 2 weeks ago complete in box with the Star Wars game for $45 .. It was a steal in my opinion... But like everyone said games are more on the expensive side because the library is so small...

I have the model 1 and model 2 sega CDs haven't had any problems with mine "knock on wood" but I don't have many games for it at the moment.. If u find it at a reasonable price I would go for it... If not i would wait on it.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 04:12:25 pm »
The Sega CD has a ok library, but its pretty hard to find the majority of the good games in the wild so you'll need mostly online purchases. The Model 2 is slight more reliable and cheaper than the Model 1, but both of them have quite a bit of problems so be prepared to fix them when bad things pop up.
The 32x has a terribly small libary, and most of the games are ok to good on it. Its a easy collection to complete if you're looking into complete sets.
Make sure you get a power supply for each add-on, or get one of those 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 power adapters.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 05:49:44 pm »
I do think they are both worth it. But probably only if you like SEGA games. The 32X is fairly cheap and is definitely worth it if you like SEGA arcade games. It has every model 1 arcade game done pretty well. This is Star Wars, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing. I just wish that Wing War made it. It also has, in my opinion, the best ports of After Burner and Space Harrier for Yu Suzuki goodness. These alone make it worth my while. But then you also get some very unusual games not available on anything else such as Knuckles Chaotic and Kolibri.

The SEGA CD has a wider variety of great games. But they are all fairly expensive (Lunar, Snatcher, and other RPG games). I kinda find FMV games charming, so I like the system in ways most don't.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c