Author Topic: Custom Dust Covers For Retro Games  (Read 7817 times)

Custom Dust Covers For Retro Games
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:46:21 pm »
I thought about getting into making custom dust sleeves for retro consoles. I was wondering what everyone thinks of the custom sleeve area and if anyone would actually buy them if they were cheap enough and actually look good. Don't know a price as I just thought of this right this second. I would actually have to do a couple to see if I am actually good at making them.. Also thought of expanding it into sega carts, if I can make a template for it.
Any feedback including information would be greatly appreciated.
Let me know what you guys/gals think
Thanks  ;)

davifus

Re: Custom Dust Covers For Retro Games
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:02:28 am »
The struggle when Game>Dust Covers.
If I had a 3D Printer life would be so much easier and I would print out covers for everything.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:44 am »
^   Build a mold and buy a glue gun with a lot of glue  8)

azure

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:09:17 am »
I try to keep dust covers on all the games I can, for the right price I can see ones with designs being a fairly good idea. I've seen some and the idea float around, couple with just boxart on the sleeve or original artwork. Seems like a good idea to me.

argyle

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:50 pm »
My dad's an upholsterer, and I've thought about asking him to make me some vinyl covers for my systems. I'll have to talk to him next time I see him & see how big of a pain he thinks it would be.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

davifus

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:17 pm »
We can always use universal cases If we can't find dust covers. They look nicer but takes up more space.

Any extra console will probably go in a tubberware.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
I was thinking for shelf space custom dust covers so you can stand the game up tall and see what it is on the spine... Cause we all know that carts don't have the name of the game on the spine.. With the custom art on the dust cover and the spine having the name of the game on it... Would create space for more games and it would be nice to look at..

I will try and get one done over the next couple of weeks and I will post it and if it looks worthwhile I will continue to do it ... If I don't get a good reaction ...on to the next idea. ???

If they come out as good as I think they can maybe some of you great collectors will buy them off of me if the price is right.. :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:26:14 pm by critter7405 »

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 12:41:39 am »
Anyone have an idea for my first dust sleeve NES game that would look cool with a custom dust sleeve

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:01:18 am »
Anyone have an idea for my first dust sleeve NES game that would look cool with a custom dust sleeve

I'd start with Super Mario Bros., but that's just me.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:52:37 pm »

I'd start with Super Mario Bros., but that's just me.

Yeah that is probably an easy one ... Considering that's a classic everyone loves

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 11:49:41 pm »
Just finished my first dust sleeve for some reason I decided to do a n64 sleeve I think it came out really good.. I have yet to take a pic of it but when I do I will post it.. So n64 doesn't have title labels on sides but with the dust sleeve ..you can now see what your game is while on a shelf... :o

retroone

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »
These dust sleeves seem pretty neat-o! I have heard many great things about these. But are they really worth trying to fill a whole collection with them? Here's a video about them. I watch this guys videos all the time and this recent upload seemed to be a coincidence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAuU8swN-j8

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:47:51 pm »
the guy you might want to talk to about this is GUnitColima. he's got a few videos on this stuff and he's a nice guy

retroone

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 09:28:00 pm »
the guy you might want to talk to about this is GUnitColima. he's got a few videos on this stuff and he's a nice guy
I remember seeing that one an I have made some of those for my Castlevania games but lost them in a move. They do look neat on the shelf, it just seemed a waste of ink and money to do it for a whole collection.

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 12:52:22 am »
But if you find someone to do the work and say charge .50 to 1.00 a piece would u grab them?

GUnitColima is who I talked to about making them ... He is a great guy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:54:20 am by critter7405 »