Author Topic: Games that were poorly received but were actually good  (Read 8249 times)

Games that were poorly received but were actually good
« on: October 28, 2014, 01:01:56 pm »
Are there any games you know of where people ripped on it for being a bad game, even though it wasn't that bad?

For me, the most obvious example is Mass Effect 3. People always complain about the ending even though the game was still good.

Re: Games that were poorly received but were actually good
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:07:23 pm »
Big Rigs  8)

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:25:15 pm »
Sonic Unleashed, Data East Arcade Classics, Sonic Riders:Zero Gravity,Romancing Saga reboot, Mega Man X8, DBZ Infinte World, and Onechanbra for Wii.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:37:18 pm »
Are there any games you know of where people ripped on it for being a bad game, even though it wasn't that bad?

For me, the most obvious example is Mass Effect 3. People always complain about the ending even though the game was still good.

Yeah despite the ending, I probably enjoy Mass Effect 3 just as much as Mass Effect 2.

Big Rigs  8)

Oh shush lol

I could probably agree with Sonic Unleashed also.  I didn't really like it, but compared to Sonic 06, that game was godly in comparison lol I still don't think it's a very good Sonic game though.

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 01:56:44 pm »

Yeah despite the ending, I probably enjoy Mass Effect 3 just as much as Mass Effect 2.

Big Rigs  8)

Oh shush lol

I could probably agree with Sonic Unleashed also.  I didn't really like it, but compared to Sonic 06, that game was godly in comparison lol I still don't think it's a very good Sonic game though.
For Sonic Unleashed, the PS2/Wii versions are considered a bit better than the PS3/Xbox360, since the nighttime levels for the former are much shorter, and makes getting S rank no problem with its lax requirements, whereas the HD versions combine night levels together, which means 20-30mins of tedious platforming for each level.

argyle

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:04:33 pm »
Chaos Legion. LOVE that game, but most people slammed it because they tried to play it like DMC.  :-\
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

davifus

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 02:07:25 pm »
E.T.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:23:43 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

bobster

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 03:10:25 pm »
I've been playing Metroid: Other M and it's actually quite good! I talked a little bit about this in the "What are you playing?" thread, but I'm still surprised at all the hate it gets.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »
I've been playing Metroid: Other M and it's actually quite good! I talked a little bit about this in the "What are you playing?" thread, but I'm still surprised at all the hate it gets.
I agree with that, I pre ordered mine and beat it the same day and enjoyed it, going back through it again it does have some issues but it's not horrible.
I also enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, definitely has issues don't get me wrong, but I enjoyed playing through it

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 04:18:29 pm »
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (the Famicom version).

This gets a lot if hate because of AVGN's repeated reviews bashing it.

Don't get me wrong. I am a fan of AVGN and found his reviews of it entertaining. But the US version of the game was a censored hack job. The Jap version is much better.

Also:

Most of the Emerson Arcadia lineup.

Most folks never heard of the games that were released for it because they were knock offs of legit arcade games they couldn't get licenses for.

The system tanked at launch.

The thing is a lot of the knockoffs were vast improvements over the arcade games they copied.

Cat Trax for example is the best Pac-Man knock off I have ever played.

cobraseph

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 04:50:53 pm »
right now i can think of two.. Ps2 Blood will Tell. (one of my friends got it before i could and all of them criticized the game soooo much i almost pass it as crap. but then i started reading about it and got interested in it.

the other was Ps1 Blood omen legacy of kain. same thing.. one of my friends got it before me and he was so mad with the game i saw him throw it out of the car. i almost pass it.. but then i saw a review with a full plot inside and i got super curious with it.

argyle

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 05:00:59 pm »
right now i can think of two.. Ps2 Blood will Tell. (one of my friends got it before i could and all of them criticized the game soooo much i almost pass it as crap. but then i started reading about it and got interested in it.

the other was Ps1 Blood omen legacy of kain. same thing.. one of my friends got it before me and he was so mad with the game i saw him throw it out of the car. i almost pass it.. but then i saw a review with a full plot inside and i got super curious with it.

I really enjoyed what little I played of Blood Will Tell. That one's on my PS2 wanted list. As for LoK, there could have been a good game in there but the awful load times stopped me from finding it. :( Really enjoyed the rest of the series tho, and would love to see it make a comeback.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

cobraseph

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 05:11:20 pm »

I really enjoyed what little I played of Blood Will Tell. That one's on my PS2 wanted list. As for LoK, there could have been a good game in there but the awful load times stopped me from finding it. :( Really enjoyed the rest of the series tho, and would love to see it make a comeback.

i still have my original Blood will Tell and my Lok. BWT was so original and all the myth and the folklore was in my line of likes. Lok was indeed a pain in the rear with the loadings and the constant VAE VICTUS!!! xD that drove me crazy..

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 06:05:11 pm »
I actually thought Alien Colonial Marines was a good game.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:30:47 pm »
Nearly any 2D game during the PS1/Saturn/N64 era. Seriously, go back and read the magazines from then. Games like Guardian Heroes, Metal Slug X, and Castlevania SotN were constantly getting reviews like, "16-bit gameplay on a 32-bit system. We were expecting more."