Author Topic: Tips for adding large posters?  (Read 839 times)

doctorlaudanum

Tips for adding large posters?
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:40:26 pm »
I have at least a dozen MASSIVE promotional posters for some of my favorite games and would really like to add them to the database for my collection., but I don't have an appropriate scanner, nor do I know anyone who does. I've tried taking photographs, both of the whole poster and of sections so I could combine them into one large image, but they never turned out well. I have also tried looking online for good photos / scans, but a lot of these posters are pretty rare (most are Japanese on top of that), and the few photos I can find are of horrible quality. Anyone have any tips for adding high quality images of posters?
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

Re: Tips for adding large posters?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:59:54 pm »
One thing to remember is that the site only saves the images at 200 pixels wide so they don't need to be 100% perfect. If you have a decent enough camera you could always take a picture of the item straight on.

Make sure that you are in a well lit room. Natural diffuse sun light is best.

Be careful of geometric distortion. Standing too close to the subject can cause this. The most practical way to correct distortion is to get as far away as your camera or setting will allow and zoom in. Telephoto lens are good for this.

bobster

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 09:33:32 am »
Well if it were me, I'd use our large format scanner at work. That doesn't help you though  :P.

I know Fedex offers large format printing and scanning. You can go that route to have it scanned in. I'm sure Kinko's does the same thing. Any printing place really. I'm sure you'll have to pay though so that sucks  :(.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

scott

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:47:25 am »
If  I was doing it, I'd photograph them then drop them in Photoshop to correct any distortion and color correct it. Then shrink it down to the proper size for uploading. That's how I did the box for Final Fantasy XI and Borderlands 2 Loot Chest.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:18:59 pm »
Check if they're not scanned yet. Someone may already have done that for you. ;)