Author Topic: Does anyone know any good RPGs that don't cost too much?  (Read 2400 times)

Does anyone know any good RPGs that don't cost too much?
« on: November 09, 2014, 06:58:13 pm »
I really like RPGs but I have trouble finding RPGs that don't cost a lot of money. Specifically ones for the consoles I have.

I own these consoles:
Game Boy Advance
Gamecube
3DS
Playstation 2
SNES
Genesis
Original Xbox

Re: Does anyone know any good RPGs that don't cost too much?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:15:28 pm »
PS2 has a good amount of rpg's that aren't terribly expensive.  Actually has a few that easily called cheap.  Both arc the lad games are cheap, breath of fire dragon quarter, final fantasy x, x-2, and xii are all pretty cheap.  There are more just not thinking of them off the top of my head.

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 07:20:35 pm »
Gamecube- The cheapest is probably Baten Kaitos and its sequel Eternal Wings. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is above average.
GBA- Advance Wars 1+2, FF Tactics Advance, FF4 Advance
PS2- Ton of RPG's for a generally cheap system. Final Fantasy 10, 11, and 12. Disgaea 1+2, DQ8, Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga I, Tales of the Abyss.
3DS- SMT IV, Etrian Odyssey IV, Code of Princess( if you go to the $20-35 range, you can also pick up Fire Emblem Awakening and Bravely Default)

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:11:31 pm »
Keep in mind, if you have a PS2 it can play PS1 games and there are ton of amazing PS1 RPGs, depending on how much you're looking to spend theres a TON of Final Fantasy games for PS1. If you're looking for something a little more modern Bravely Default is in my top 2 RPGs of any recent generation.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:27:59 pm »
The majority of RPGs can be had for under $20 on most of those consoles you listed.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:30:34 pm »
The majority of RPGs can be had for under $20 on most of those consoles you listed.

except the SNES

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:01:30 pm »

except the SNES

lol yes, that one :p

abe

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 08:28:11 am »

except the SNES

The GameCube is getting pretty expensive too. You're not going to find Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance or Skies of Arcadia for under $20 unless you're really lucky. :'(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

soera

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 08:57:37 am »
I dont really think there are any good RPGs for cheap unless you are talking the latest consoles and thats only if you get lucky on a used shelf. RPGs are more costly for a reason. :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 09:58:15 am »
I dont really think there are any good RPGs for cheap unless you are talking the latest consoles and thats only if you get lucky on a used shelf. RPGs are more costly for a reason. :)

They're expensive because you RPG folks are nuts.  :P

I wish I liked RPG's.  When you buy one for $60 and play it for 100+ hours, you really get some serious gameplay out of that.  I'm over here paying $20 for a 6-10 hour game and think I'm getting a deal. 

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 10:15:25 am »
The GBA version of Final Fantasy IV. it costs less than $10 used

soera

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:32:26 am »

They're expensive because you RPG folks are nuts.  :P

I wish I liked RPG's.  When you buy one for $60 and play it for 100+ hours, you really get some serious gameplay out of that.  I'm over here paying $20 for a 6-10 hour game and think I'm getting a deal.

Thats what I love about the RPGs is the cost per hour played. I have so much play time invested in my latest game, Diablo III, that it would probably average about 10 cents an hour or less.

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 12:13:50 pm »

except the SNES

The GameCube is getting pretty expensive too. You're not going to find Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance or Skies of Arcadia for under $20 unless you're really lucky. :'(
Yeah Fire Emblem has been pretty expensive for the longest time, and its a better balanced game than Radiant Dawn so I'm really hoping I can pick it up in the next year. I actually picked up Skies of Arcadia from a member of the site for a good deal, but USPS has returned the package 3 times to the owner before it hits my house so it feels like I'll never get it at this rate.

soera

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 12:41:14 pm »
I really like RPGs but I have trouble finding RPGs that don't cost a lot of money. Specifically ones for the consoles I have.

I own these consoles:
Game Boy Advance
Gamecube
3DS
Playstation 2
SNES
Genesis
Original Xbox

I fixed your list for you. :) I will respond on the other consoles.

GBA - FF IV/VI may be a bit more than the average $20 but its going to change how you see other pre-disk based RPGS. Phantasy star collection is another great game that allows you to play the first 3 games on the go. Breath of Fire is a great series and much cheaper on the GBA than the SNES (Same with FF IV/VI).

Gamecube - Not much I can recommend if you arent into the Zelda games. Baldur's gate is awesome but easier/cheaper to find on PS2. Baten Kaitos isnt terribly expensive if you want disk only. Paper Mario is NOT an RPG. The Phantasy star games on here are online titles, nothing fun about them and they are some of the most expensive GC games.

3DS - Bravely Default is a super fantastic title and Im anxiously awaiting the sequel. You should have no problem finding a copy of this game.

PS2 - Dragon Quest VIII is simply put one of the most awesome RPGs ever and is a lot cheaper than the game should be. Baldur's gate 1&2 is awesome co-op games as is Champions of Norrath 1&2.

SNES - Nothing on this system RPG wise is going to be cheap. The only game worth mentioning that is unavailable in physical form on any other system is Super Mario RPG.

Genesis - Sword of Vermilion is a truly unique RPG experience and really fun to play. PS IV isnt too bad cost wise especially if you bought the collection on the GBA, you will want this to finish off the set.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 01:22:17 pm »
My personal favorites:

- Chrono Trigger [NDS] - The SNES version is $$ for a CIB copy, but the DS version is still pretty cheap.
- Legend of Dragoon, The [PS1]
- Rogue Galaxy [PS2]
- Shadow Hearts [PS2]
- Shadow Hearts: Covenant [PS2]
- Shadow Hearts: From the New World [PS2]
- Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga [PS2]
- Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 [PS2]
- Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne [PS2]
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 [PS2]
- Vagrant Story [PS1]
- Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria [PS2]

The GameCube and original Xbox are pretty bereft of any RPGs, outside of a tiny handful on GC, but there's an absolute treasure trove of them for the PS1 and PS2. Probably moreso than any other console.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:24:12 pm by insektmute »