Author Topic: Ten must have PSP games  (Read 2371 times)

killerchameleon

Ten must have PSP games
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:40:09 am »
I'm looking to up my collection of PSP games could I get some suggestions on which ten games are a must on the PSP?  

scott

Re: Ten must have PSP games
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:41 am »
In no particular order

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
Patapon 1 & 2 (never played 3)
Daxter
Loco Roco 1 & 2
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:42:00 pm »
Wipeout Pure and Pulse

darko

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »
Lumines

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 05:09:13 pm »
My favorites have been:

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Final Fantasy Tactics (Guess my favorite genre :P)
Jeanne D'Arc
Samurai Shodown Anthology
I'll put a second vote on Castlevania Chronicles as well.

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »
The PSP has a fairly unremarkable library of games, with only a few games that I'd consider "must-have"... I.E., Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles.

Otherwise... I went through a PSP game list and here's a few stand-outs that I think are really good, but not particularly "must-have" due to low mainstream gamer appeal, and even low appeal amongst hardcore gamers (sorry, going for more than 10 here):

Cladun: This is an RPG (there's a sequel out I think, but I haven't played it... oh and yes, "This is an RPG" is part of the game's title)
Class of Heroes
either one of the Dissidia Final Fantasy games
Disgaea (I'd suggest the DS version instead though, it's better minus a very minor graphic downgrade)
Disgaea 2
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Gradius Collection
Half Minute Hero (there's an XBLA version of this one, just make sure to set the graphics to the retro settings in the XBLA version, the remade graphics are CRAP... the PSP version is just as solid though)
Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This? (there's 3 games in this series, all of them are excellent, but hard to recommend due to the really quirky and weird gameplay)
Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! (both of the Prinny games are Ghosts n' Goblins style platformers with insane difficulty, but overall great fun gameplay... You get 1000 lives (total, you don't get extras) and you have to go through the game with that.... and then you realize 1000 isn't much when you lose over a hundred per level :P)
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS. Darkdeath Evilman

Note: This is from games I've personally played, there's probably a few other good ones on this thing.

darko

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »
I'm going to double post on this one because I was at work earlier and didn't really have time to make a list (even though Lumines is DEFINITELY on there).

I started my PSP collection a few months despite having one off and on since launch. I can honestly say that all of the games in my collection are solid with the exceptions being PoPoLo Crois and Knights in the Nightmare. A lot of people love those two games but I just can't get into either. Here are my top 10 (no order whatsoever):

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Jeanne D'Arc
Legend of Heroes, The: Trails in the Sky
Lumines
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable (actually prefer this one to the PS2)
Star Ocean: First Departure
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Here are several that I'll be picking up soon:

Disgaea (all of them on the PSP)
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Ys Seven
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Prinny: Can I really be the Hero?
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection

I could really keep going but my general consensus is the complete opposite of jobocan. I feel like there are a ton of quality titles on the PSP. It might not have a library like the DS but I think there is less shovelware and the games are freaking CHEAP right now. I bought a new copy of Tactics Ogre for $10.00 yesterday. The most I've spent on a single game in my PSP collection was for Persona 2. It was $30.00 (the box set mind you). The second most was $26.00 on Trails in the Sky (bought the Premium Edition new from Amazon). You could put together a nice set of 10 for under $150 (maybe $100).

jobocan

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 09:31:41 pm »
I could really keep going but my general consensus is the complete opposite of jobocan. I feel like there are a ton of quality titles on the PSP. It might not have a library like the DS but I think there is less shovelware and the games are freaking CHEAP right now. I bought a new copy of Tactics Ogre for $10.00 yesterday. The most I've spent on a single game in my PSP collection was for Persona 2. It was $30.00 (the box set mind you). The second most was $26.00 on Trails in the Sky (bought the Premium Edition new from Amazon). You could put together a nice set of 10 for under $150 (maybe $100).

I'm not saying the PSP library is bad of course, just look at that list of great games I posted :P
I just find that, overall, the PSP doesn't really have that much going for it unless you're really into JRPGs (and frankly I didn't play a whole lot of those on PSP, there's a bunch I wanted but never ended up getting for whatever reason), with very few games that qualify for my definition of "must-haves". It's really underwhelming overall.

Note: I really suggest you check out the "What did I do to deserve this!?"/Badman series if you haven't already. They're downloadable, but I think the first and second did get UMD releases. They're probably my favorite PSP titles, and some of the most unique games out there. Definitely not for everyone, but I do think it's worth giving it a try and learning how to play it properly.

madmax

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 07:35:38 pm »
I was originally going to suggest Final Fantasy: Crisis core but thought that my fanvoyism might be clouding my judgement. Seeing as someone else posted it, I can stand by it now.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 08:34:59 pm »
I've had a PSP for a bit now but haven't played many of the games much.  However, I did enjoy Ys Seven quite a bit and Persona 3 Portable is pretty good, though I have fonder memories of playing it on the PS2.  But nice to have the alternate gameplay with a female protagonist.

The What Did I Do to Deserve This series is good as well but very niche!  I'd say if you have Gamefly, rent the heck out of their collection.  They don't have *everything,* of course, but it's a good way to try out a bunch of different things.

Also, as @Darko said, the hard copies are getting cheaper and cheaper every day.  When Gamestop does their B2G1 sales, that's a good time to get a handful of games as well.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:19:26 am »
I would also keep an eye out on Gamefly for used PSP games. I'm sure they'll be having a fire sale soon. I've never had an issue with the games I've bought from them. I was actually a little impressed with the condition of a few.

scott

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 09:17:17 am »
I would also keep an eye out on Gamefly for used PSP games. I'm sure they'll be having a fire sale soon. I've never had an issue with the games I've bought from them. I was actually a little impressed with the condition of a few.

I'll keep that in mind.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:22:54 pm »
If anything, one of my recently Gamefly PSP rentals came in a replacement UMD case in case that's an issue for you.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08:04 pm »
If anything, one of my recently Gamefly PSP rentals came in a replacement UMD case in case that's an issue for you.

Ahh...that would be for me. Luckily, I've never run into that. I've ordered 10 or so games from them across different platforms. Everything I've received has been almost mint. Everything has also been complete.

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »

Ahh...that would be for me. Luckily, I've never run into that. I've ordered 10 or so games from them across different platforms. Everything I've received has been almost mint. Everything has also been complete.

I haven't run into that problem for anything I've purchased, thankfully.  I only mention it because I Gamefly'd an older PSP game recently and noticed that it came in a clear UMD case - most likely a replacement case.

I think the only disappointment I had with any Gamefly purchase was a PSP case with a crushed/broken corner.  Could've happened during shipping, so I can't hold it against them really.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas