Author Topic: FMV  (Read 1783 times)

koemo1

PRO Supporter

FMV
« on: November 14, 2014, 04:03:32 am »
Can we perhaps get a new genre in the database: FMV or full motion videogame?
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

davifus

Re: FMV
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:17:42 am »
FMV as in Dragon's Lair? ETC?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:28:08 am »
Yeah like dragon's lair, space ace and things like nighttrap
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

davifus

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:39:11 am »
How many FMV are there? I feel like its a very very niche thing game wise.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:08:46 pm »
I personally don't have a problem with there being more genres to choose from, it's just a descriptor. And there should be no confusion about games that have FMV elements like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, The Terminator, or Bram Stoker's Dracula; games that have shitty video cutscenes on the Sega CD but are different genres that aren't "click at this time for something to happen". I think it would be a good way to clarify on games like Sewer Shark, Time Gal, Night Trap, Corpse Killer, Star Strike, the list goes on and on and on and on oh god there are so many FMV games auuughhh

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:24:50 pm »
Well, Sherlock Holmes i would add at FMV because the main selling point was the FMV and you only click on thing and see some little videos^^
FMV games are very plentyfull, You got FMV games where you use a cursor to shoot things like Thunder in Paradise, Crime Patrol, Solar Crusade, Sewer Shark, Round 14 and Cobra Command.
FMV games where have to put in the right controls in the right time: Dragons Lair 1 and 2, Space Ace, Night Trap, Wire Head, Road Avenger and Double Switch

Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 02:08:01 pm »
How many FMV are there? I feel like its a very very niche thing game wise.

Nearly an entire generation of games had FMV. It's not a thing anymore, but it was thought to be the future of gaming at one point. There are a lot of FMV games out there. On systems like Sega CD, 3DO, CD-i, Saturn, and the early days of PS1.

insektmute

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »
I've always viewed FMV as more of an approach rather than a genre, and almost all of them are adventure or action-adventure games. Dragon's Lair, Phantasmagoria, 7th Guest, etc.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 03:21:45 pm »
Phantasmagoria has full-motion video elements, but it's not all video, where you have to time inputs to make another thing happen. It's not like Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc.

insektmute

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 03:26:44 pm »
Phantasmagoria has full-motion video elements, but it's not all video, where you have to time inputs to make another thing happen. It's not like Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc.

FMV only refers to pre-recorded video being used for the graphics, not game mechanics. Having to time inputs in that fashion isn't synonymous with FMV, either.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 03:33:42 pm »

FMV only refers to pre-recorded video being used for the graphics, not game mechanics. Having to time inputs in that fashion isn't synonymous with FMV, either.

It is synonymous though; it's another word for an interactive movie, and it shares its name with the technique of video cutscenes in games that pioneered the genre of interactive movies, and what FMV is typically referred to as.

insektmute

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 03:40:21 pm »
It is synonymous though; it's another word for an interactive movie, and it shares its name with the technique of video cutscenes in games that pioneered the genre of interactive movies, and what FMV is typically referred to as.

Yes, I know. I'm old enough to remember when they sprang into existence.

Interactive movie/FMV refers only to the use of pre-rendered video footage, not the use of pre-rendered footage with timed inputs.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 03:49:29 pm »
We had a huge thread on genres and subgenres and I thought the consensus was that we didn't want to clutter it up too much.  Understandably, "adventure" is too broad, but we might have to keep going with that one lest we fall into separating it out into things like FMV, visual novel, point-and-click, etc.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 05:24:12 pm »
perhaps a run&gun genre ^^
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]