Author Topic: Recording Gameplay  (Read 935 times)

retroone

Recording Gameplay
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on how to record actual gameplay. Some people use DVD Recorders but I could never get those to work. I heard the Elgato Game Capture HD is good but I'm not sure if that applies to NES games. Is there any game capture device that won't mess up with a wacky Game Genie code or any one useful for recording all sorts of consoles? I know that a VCR is required for converting RF to AV.

byron

Re: Recording Gameplay
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »
The simplest and cleanest way I know of to record composite video in a format that can be transferred to PC is finding a digital camera with an A/V input and using it to record onto an SD card or something. I have done it that way before, and it worked well.

If you lack an applicable camera, perhaps video capture cards for desktop PCs are more reliable than their USB counterparts?

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Recording Gameplay$
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:03:12 am »
Does anyone have any advice on how to record actual gameplay. Some people use DVD Recorders but I could never get those to work. I heard the Elgato Game Capture HD is good but I'm not sure if that applies to NES games. Is there any game capture device that won't mess up with a wacky Game Genie code or any one useful for recording all sorts of consoles? I know that a VCR is required for converting RF to AV.

The Hauppauge PVR II Gaming Edition is pretty good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=887194&gclid=CMSh3O6kuMICFYZbfgodC7sARA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

For gaming you want lag free passthrough so you can game while you record.

This supports that for HDMI and component video (out of the box) and for $10 they sell an adapter (which I also have) that adds support for composite and s-video.

http://hauppage.com/site/webstore2/webstore_avcable-svideo.asp

It can record to 12mbps H264 at 1080p and will record at up to 30fps. They are about $150 and worth every penny.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:07:59 am by dashv »

desocietas

Re: Recording Gameplay
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:17 pm »
My boyfriend and I use elgato's Game Capture HD, and it should work fine with NES.  I don't know if it'll work with Game Genie, but I assume so - it plugs in between the console and your TV, so it should see everything that you'll be able to see on your TV.

It doesn't get 1080p at 60 fps (the new HD 60 model will do that), but it does do the retro consoles.  The older consoles don't support 1080p anyway, so you're not usually missing out in that case.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas