Author Topic: Have Patches and Updates Made Collecting Modern Games Pointless?  (Read 1250 times)

htimreimer

jcalder8

Re: Have Patches and Updates Made Collecting Modern Games Pointless?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:11:36 pm »
I don't see how matches and updates make collecting games pointless. Games may be patched for improvements or balancing but they are rarely patched because they are unplayable. Using their example of GT 5, years from now the game will still run and you will still be able to play it.

amauriel

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:47:51 am »
I don't think that it makes collecting them pointless. I do think it's made some game creators very sloppy.

Sometimes they tend to forget that only 73% of Xbox 360s have ever been online, and 78% of PS3s (as of a year ago). If a system isn't online, it's not getting those patches.

Oh, and for reference, got the numbers from here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28058/Study_PS3_Has_Highest_Percentage_Of_Connected_Consoles.php
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

madmax

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:38:31 am »
I'd like to point out that one of the great things about older games is that they were simple. You popped it in and played within a few minutes. It's great finding a game you haven't played, buy it and then just play it. You add it to your collection and it's simple. Nowadays, you have to pop the game in, update for several hours and once thats done then you can play. It definitely requires a much bigger time investment.

Taking GT5 for example, there is so much to do before you can play, hours worth.

scott

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:27:00 am »
That's how I felt with MGS4, I spent a good 2 hrs installing and patching before I could even start playing it. Yes, it was worth every minute, but still annoying.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

madmax

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:32 pm »
It doesn't nessesarily ruin game collecting itself. It ruins how you enjoy a game...

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:26 pm »
GT5 is an interesting case. I mean, yeah, it's got the 11GB installation (if you want the least loading times) and it's had a crapload of patches.. but the patches have both fixed and added a LOT of things.

Also getting a Christmas message from Polyphony Digital was cute.