Author Topic: Game ratings  (Read 1585 times)

killerchameleon

Game ratings
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:56 am »
Not sure if this has been brought up but how about adding a feature so that users can rate the games that way other people can scan though the games and decide what games they might want to pick up.

pacpix

Re: Game ratings
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:28:10 am »
I think the problem with this is that the different variations would be rated higher or lower when the game is exactly the same.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

killerchameleon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:39:15 am »
Well all ratings are opinion based and the ratings would be based on a percentage on the voters you would still use the ratings at your own discretion.  After you played the game you then could add your vote lowering or improving the rating based on you own judgment.

Just a thought, I know I’ve seen games and didn’t have a clue if they were any good.  This would give a person some guidance at least.

scott

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:04:36 am »
We'd have to find a way to link the ratings between versions, if we were going to do a user ratings option. But I think there should be a way to list possibly a metacrtic rating?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:43:56 am »
I'm always leery about adding features like this since I feel as if it strays from our original intention of being a collection management system. But if the masses speak...I'll listen. I think a few non-collection features people would love are rankings and a currently playing flag.

How would you guys like to see ranking work? I've never been a huge fan of a numbered system but if we go that route it'd definitely have to be a 1-10 scale.

rachel

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:59:01 am »
@matt -- To your point, I think it would be cool to have a "favorites" flag instead of a ranking system. This seems to fit in better with the collection management idea; I'd like to see all my favorites together, for example. I might not want to see other users' rankings on my games list (because they may differ wildly from my own impressions of the games), but I might instead like to see how many users marked it as a "fave." Other users could see which games have the highest number of favorite flags, or they could even view the most frequently "faved" games within a certain genre or for a given platform. Everyone's going rank games differently based on personal gaming preferences and ranking philosophies (e.g., This game was well-made but I hate first-person shooters. Do I give it a 0? A 5? An 8?) But the idea of selecting "favorite" games seems more universal in my mind. Just my $0.02

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:53:24 pm »
ah, like the brilliant fb idea of the "like" button :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:01:45 pm »
Facebook *hsssssssssssssssssssssssssss* IT BURNS

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:47:23 am »
Facebook *hsssssssssssssssssssssssssss* IT BURNS

lol
not investing in the IPO, i assume?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:20 am »
The flag idea could work, that would also easily limit each user to a single vote.

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:46:01 am »
We could do something like a 0-5 star ranking.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:02 am »
We could do something like a 0-5 star ranking.
I think a 5 star rating would work better than a 1-10 rating. Also it's common system that every gamer worth their salt should know how to use.

Of course the problem with any rating system is that it is subjective to each user's tastes. Also it works really well for well known games, but more obscure ones usually don't pull off a decent average thanks to limited number of owners. We'd also need to make it so each variant is linked together giving them a consistent rating across the board.

killerchameleon

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:04 am »
I don’t think linking all variants together is a good idea.  I know in the past with the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo when variants of the same games were released on both systems certain games would receive better marks than the other system due to different controller setups and game systems capabilities.  Perhaps the rating system may prove to be too involving maybe there should just be a top ten that you can select from your collection.  That way everyone can see your top ten picks from what you have.

scott

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 08:44:50 am »
@killerchameleon What I mean by linking variants is, linking all the ones together that are the same exact game, but maybe have a variation in the label, or box art. Example would be Pokemon Snap, there is a variant of it where the box is slightly different, yet it's the same exact game inside. A re-release for a different system or a enhanced remake would be a different item, technically and thus a different rating. So Final Fantasy II on SNES would have a different rating than Final Fantasy IV for DS, because they wouldn't be linked.

jcalder8

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 08:17:49 am »
Personally I don't like the idea of a rating system. I use this site to track my collection not to see what other people have thought of the game. If we were going to add in a rating system I would rather be able to rate what condition my copy is in then if I find a copy of a game I already own I can check to see if it would be an upgrade.