Author Topic: Total $ Spent on your Collection [Feature Request]  (Read 2803 times)

Total $ Spent on your Collection [Feature Request]
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:46:22 am »
Does this already exist for my profile?
I want to know (when I finish submitting all of my games) about how much I have spent on it.
The fields for how much you spent already exist for each individual game, so I was just curious if we could pull it together for a total amount.

:)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Total $ Spent on your Collection [Feature Request]
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:01:22 pm »
probably not.

too many variables - people can get the same game in different locations & for vastly different prices; from yard sales to paying top dollar for "officially graded" copies.

really, your best & most accurate way would be the longest, least convenient, and the biggest pain in the ass way of keeping track of it yourself.

welcome to VGC, by the way...we've got an "Introduction" thread, if you feel like saying Hi!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 12:07:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply and the welcome! :)

However now I must ask why there is an input for how much I spent on a game when I register it to my collection?

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 12:41:37 pm »
The easiest way to do it is to export your collection to the CSV format and open that in excel. From there you can simply run a SUM function on the $ spent column and figure it out easily. Its how I figured out I spent $746 last year.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:44:59 pm by tafk »

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:44:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply and the welcome! :)

However now I must ask why there is an input for how much I spent on a game when I register it to my collection?

You can do it from your collection screen (once the item is already added to your collection):

A similar screen will pop up when you add new items so that you can enter your cost in.  That way, when you export your collection, you can use Excel to calculate your cost, like tafk said.

EDIT: my bad, I though you said "where" is the area to enter the cost, not why, haha.  But yeah, you can enter your cost and export and get your sum :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:58:50 pm »
I like that idea. The comic collecting software I have has a "total cover price" it shows you in the summary section, as well as a "total price paid" if you want to enter that info into your collection.

We could do the same thing here, if it is implemented. Have a "total retail value", and then a "total price paid" optional if people want to enter that.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:26:14 pm »
I like that idea. The comic collecting software I have has a "total cover price" it shows you in the summary section, as well as a "total price paid" if you want to enter that info into your collection.

We could do the same thing here, if it is implemented. Have a "total retail value", and then a "total price paid" optional if people want to enter that.

I'd love that, too, as getting gifts and such, I don't always like to put in the cost of the item but it'd be nice to be able to keep track of its cost for insurance reasons.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 01:26:39 pm »
These are things I want to work on.  Like a user stats page.  A cumulative total of the cost fields and an estimated value based on the loose/complete/new values of VGPC, highest valued game, system you have the most titles for, % of library owned for individual systems, etc.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 02:00:27 pm »
Seems like I've made a good first impression here. :)

Thanks for the advice on exporting to Excel!
I'll be doing that as soon as I get finished!  :)

I appreciate the very warm welcome everyone!
Happy collecting everyone! :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:56 pm »
These are things I want to work on.  Like a user stats page.  A cumulative total of the cost fields and an estimated value based on the loose/complete/new values of VGPC, highest valued game, system you have the most titles for, % of library owned for individual systems, etc.

We have *something* like this - Go to your home page & click-on your avatar to see it - using my page as an example (in the link below); look in the top-left corner (directly under the "VGCOLLECT" you'll see a pic of (the same pic you'll see here in the forums) my avatar...clicking on that will access some stats (and a pie chart) of your collection :)

http://vgcollect.com/disgaeniac

"However now I must ask why there is an input for how much I spent on a game when I register it to my collection"?:)

just for your personal notes/record-keeping; as I've said: 10 different people could, very easily, have 10 different prices there...for the same game - making a "1 size fits all" approach to something like this almost impossible & meaningless - when everyone can (and usually does) get the same games @ very different prices.

TL;DR  It's just there for you ;)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:28:04 pm by disgaeniac »

caiterz

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 03:15:13 pm »
Is it possible to add to the .csv if not the site.... Pricecharting.com's current price for the game?

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 03:33:01 pm »
I should also mention that this thread should probably be under the Site Feedback subforum where we post up suggestions/bugs/etc about the site :)

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 12:40:38 am »
Is it possible to add to the .csv if not the site.... Pricecharting.com's current price for the game?

Thats been brought up multiple times I believe and IIRC the response was that it would be too complicated/hard for such a small return. If people wanted to do that they could go search the VGPC prices themselves. There was a thread about it a few months back.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 12:55:24 pm »
just for your personal notes/record-keeping; as I've said: 10 different people could, very easily, have 10 different prices there...for the same game - making a "1 size fits all" approach to something like this almost impossible & meaningless - when everyone can (and usually does) get the same games @ very different prices.

I mentioned a fix for this in an earlier post. My comic collecting software has a "Total Cover Price" section that automatically has the retail prices fixed. And then there's also a "Total Price Paid", which is optional and you can enter your own values. Both sections stay separated with separate values. The same system could be used for games.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 01:10:57 pm »

I mentioned a fix for this in an earlier post. My comic collecting software has a "Total Cover Price" section that automatically has the retail prices fixed. And then there's also a "Total Price Paid", which is optional and you can enter your own values. Both sections stay separated with separate values. The same system could be used for games.

That's exactly my point, though...

...games (except for new releases coming out @ the MSRP), don't *HAVE* "fixed" retail prices :o

Ten retail stores could be listing it for 10 different retail prices & that's not even factoring in Black label vs GH, variants, LE's of the same game, the same game on multiple platforms, game condition, existence & condition of case, manual, swag/extras, OST's, artbooks, etc and sealed vs un-sealed (which can be vastly different #'s) --and-- since *I* think that it's just silly & a waste of money...I'm not even counting the "graded" vs non-graded & the # of the grading :-\

There's just TOO many variables to make that work *especially* on a collector's site like this where 20 people can own the game _____ and, each have a different value & worth because of...variables 8)