Author Topic: The "New" 3DS  (Read 8264 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: The "New" 3DS
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 04:33:26 pm »
But the original DS could still play all DS/DSi games. I had my original DS up until I bought my 3DS XL. From the sounds of it, there are going to be games you can play on the new 3DS XL, but not on older 3DS's.

maximo310

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 06:12:22 pm »
That's mostly true, but some games on the DSiware shop stayed exclusive to the Nintendo DSi platform. However, it wasn't too big of a deal since there weren't too many games that were exclusive to that platform, so I'll see how they handle these new 3ds exclusive.

devancowan

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 06:23:39 pm »
Will the "New 3DS" be able to play DS games?

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »
Will the "New 3DS" be able to play DS games?

I believe it does. I'm 85% sure I heard them say that in an earlier press release from either Japan or Australia (where they're already out).
Edit: Confirmed yes!

I'm kinda sad we're only getting the XL. The standard model has swap-able panels similar to the Game Boy Micro.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:56:04 pm by badATchaos »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:43 am »
Welp, even more reason not to get a system then lol. Just play his  :).
Sorry.  I meant the part about pointing out that The Legend Of Zelda: Link Between Worlds is fantastic.  I see him playing and part of me just wants to grab his 3DS and game.

Functionality with amiibos, backwards-compatibility, improved screen, and second joystick, but comes with no power supply for ~$200.  Guess I'll still be waiting...  Considering there's also news of the customizable faceplate version that may or may not ship to US.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 02:05:18 am »
I wanted the XL anyways, so not getting the normal one here is fine to me.  Missing out on faceplates is kinda unimportant I feel lol Nifty, but I didn't see a single good faceplate from the ones they have out already in Japan.

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:29 am »
I might end up getting one when they have a plentiful library of New 3DS games, but for now I'm holding off.

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 10:02:17 am »
Considering there's also news of the customizable faceplate version that may or may not ship to US.

Nintendo officially stated the standard size is not coming to North America. The standard size is the only version with removable face-plates. Many believe they're doing this because in NA the XL models have traditional sold with much higher margins.
There's also the issue of shelf space. They've been slamming retailers with amiibo, different 3DS models and special editions. Some stores don't want to handle all that plus the addition of two new models and a million face-plate options taking up valuable space. It's becoming an issue with many America department stores shrinking their electronics departments in the past few years.

abe

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 11:15:07 am »
Considering there's also news of the customizable faceplate version that may or may not ship to US.

Nintendo officially stated the standard size is not coming to North America. The standard size is the only version with removable face-plates. Many believe they're doing this because in NA the XL models have traditional sold with much higher margins.
There's also the issue of shelf space. They've been slamming retailers with amiibo, different 3DS models and special editions. Some stores don't want to handle all that plus the addition of two new models and a million face-plate options taking up valuable space. It's becoming an issue with many America department stores shrinking their electronics departments in the past few years.

While I do understand that there is very limited shelf space for all this stuff, I still don't see why they can't just be some kind of online exclusive or just discontinue the older models to make space for the new ones. This would be less of a problem if Nintendo didn't region lock their consoles and we could just import them like you can with a PS Vita and play whatever games we want on them. Nintendo has been consistently disappointing lately with all the poor decisions they've made.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

soera

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:30 pm »
I shall wait til the X chronicles LE is announced. If that happens, Ill put in a quick pre-order. If not, Ill eventually pick up a base one. I am not huge on the different size screens (its 2 inches vs 2.005 inches, I must upgrade!!!!!) so that part isnt a big deal.

desocietas

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 12:44:40 pm »
Best Buy just tweeted to say that they'll have more Majora's Mask editions on stock in about half an hour for those who still want it (or were waiting until payday)!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 01:39:05 pm »
Best Buy just tweeted to say that they'll have more Majora's Mask editions on stock in about half an hour for those who still want it (or were waiting until payday)!

On the website? I'm here on the website waiting and nothing is happening.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 02:15:58 pm »

Oh good, that guarantees my previous order of the handheld will go through :D

desocietas

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 02:52:11 pm »
Blargh, I didn't realize it was the Canadian Best Buy twitter that was tweeting out about it:

https://twitter.com/BBYC_GamersClub/status/556156754384654336

Sorry about that :(
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »
Blargh, I didn't realize it was the Canadian Best Buy twitter that was tweeting out about it:

https://twitter.com/BBYC_GamersClub/status/556156754384654336

Sorry about that :(
its okay
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)