Author Topic: Retro game replacement labels  (Read 8990 times)

Retro game replacement labels
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:56:23 am »
So I have decided to start picking up crappy looking copies of higher end games (if they're cheap enough) and slapping on replacement labels.  I've been using an online vendor and his work is pretty flawless so far.  Not point on, but close enough.  They're for personal use and I was wondering what kind of experience everyone else has had.

Here's an example of the work I've had done for me online.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:36:17 am by ffmaniac2050 »

soera

Re: Retro game replacement labels
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:54:12 am »
I have a few replacement labels. One of the guys I used was from Australia but his customer service is a fat 0. I bought the others from someone on Ebay.

gf78

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:56:28 pm »
This is something I was always curious about.  Back in the day, I had cartridges I had traded for or gotten second-hand and it drove my OCD to the brink when the labels were torn, wrote on or peeled away from the cartridge along the top edge (looking at you NES games). 

Something I am interested in right now is finding someone to print high-quality replacement inserts for PS2, PS3 games and the like.  Anyone know someone reputable and reasonable where I could do this?  I've thought of a local print shop, but figure they would refuse citing copyright material issues.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:13 pm »
For that, just use Cover project. http://www.thecoverproject.net/

gf78

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »
That's where I got the images, but my inkjet doesn't do them justice. I wanted to know if there was someone online who could print high quality copies for me.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:09:38 pm »
That's where I got the images, but my inkjet doesn't do them justice. I wanted to know if there was someone online who could print high quality copies for me.

If photo printer and some photo paper should do the trick.

soera

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:41:18 pm »
I put them on a flash and go to Office Depot. It may cost 75 cents each and if you are only doing 2-3, its definitely worth it to not have to look for it elsewhere.

gf78

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:05:17 am »
Thank you!

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 11:59:50 am »
I'm very split on the subject. I hate, hate, hate the idea of people putting on new labels and selling them. With disc cases I give a little more leadway. I'm guilty of printing new case labels for DS games. You can still go online and buy empty Wii and DS cases then print up new labels and slide 'em in. This is ideal for me so I can display every DS/3DS game I own. Edit: especially with 2nd hand games were ppl have thrown away the cases.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:04:11 pm by badATchaos »

gf78

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »
I'm very split on the subject. I hate, hate, hate the idea of people putting on new labels and selling them. With disc cases I give a little more leadway. I'm guilty of printing new case labels for DS games. You can still go online and buy empty Wii and DS cases then print up new labels and slide 'em in. This is ideal for me so I can display every DS/3DS game I own. Edit: especially with 2nd hand games were ppl have thrown away the cases.

I think if someone tries to sell a game with a photocopied label/cover while passing it off as original, I would be pissed.  For me, it's more about "dressing up" games I already own.  I've gotten good games at dirt cheap prices where the cover art may be damaged from water.  I would personally be more content if I had "pristine" art.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 01:57:28 pm »
I'm with you on this.  The contra pictures on the right had enough label on it for me to know it was contra.  Getting a replacement was necessary and cheap.

I think if someone tries to sell a game with a photocopied label/cover while passing it off as original, I would be pissed.  For me, it's more about "dressing up" games I already own.  I've gotten good games at dirt cheap prices where the cover art may be damaged from water.  I would personally be more content if I had "pristine" art.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 02:59:13 pm »
I definitely have a few labels I plan to replace eventually. I'm getting pretty big into the repro of beat up / missing items in my own collection.

I would ask if you could tell which of these boxes are not original. You would think condition might give it away, but there's another small detail that actually tells it.

soera

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 06:43:13 pm »
If I were going to guess, Id say Lolo 2 cause the inside of the box looks white.

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 06:50:10 pm »
If I were going to guess, Id say Lolo 2 cause the inside of the box looks white.

That's one correct answer. The white inside is the tell I was referring to. There are still two others that aren't original either, though.  :P

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 06:52:01 pm »
My guess is Adventure Island.

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here