Author Topic: Am I the only one who dislikes the "DLC Generation" and where gaming is headed?  (Read 7383 times)

gf78

As a fan of gaming (obviously) who loves collecting old games as well as buying new ones, I absolutely HATE the fact that modern games are DLC money-grabs where the complete game is not on the disc or worse as in the case of Assassin's Creed Unity, the game you buy is a bug-riddled mess.

I know that when I pick up a cartridge or disc-based game (through the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation) that the entire game is right there and I can play it anytime now or ten years from now assuming my hardware is still functioning. 

An example is Driveclub.  That game has been improved upon constantly adding new things such as tracks, cars, weather effects and soon-a replay mode (these are free DLC's).  But once Sony stops supporting PS4 game downloads whenever that may be, my disc that I bought and cared for in my collection is incomplete.  The whole game is not on there.  Will there be a respository in the future where DLC content can still be purchased/downloaded or re-downloaded indefinitely?  This is how it works with PC titles.  I can still go find the file for GL Quake (for example) if I wanted to.  It's out there.  Will Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo keep legacy content available for gamers?  Or let some other site online curate this content? 

As not only a gamer but a collector, this uncertainty is quite bothersome.  This isn't even delving into the questionable practice of the DLC these companies release, many times obviously cut from the core game to nickel & dime gamers out of more money.  When playing something like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and the chapters or "memory sequences" are numbered and say...sequence 7 is missing it raises a red flag.  When DLC offering sequence 7 shows up a week after the game's release for a premium DLC price or worse, the vile & dreaded "season pass" has it listed, I get pretty pissed.  I guess what I am saying is that when I buy a Blu-Ray movie, I don't have to download chapters as DLC or pay extra after the initial purchase to unlock that content on my disc.  Why should gaming be any different?

I've found myself either completely ignoring and not purchasing games where the developers/publishers play the DLC games, or waiting until they drop in price significantly (Assassin's Creed Unity on eBay new/sealed for $35) before even considering a purchase.  Thoughts?  Opinions?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

You're far from alone here 8)

Most of us - as collectors - *Always* prefer having a physical copy over a digital copy; w/o even taking into consideration episodic, expansion, costumes, cameos, music, etc sorts of DLC.

Personally?

I hate & think that ~95% of it sucks and is just greed.

That said, an example of that other 5% - and why I like it - is Cross Edge - one of my favorite PS3 games & RPG's.  It had 5 bonus dungeons + a few weapons, items, and experience packs, for those who needed help (and...w/ this kind of learning-curve - many were those who needed help),

AND

They always were (and still are) FREE

Definitely more the exception than the rule but - companies that treat their fans like they actually give a shit about them - catch my attention.

These kinds of actions are the kind that will get me willing to support a company, and 'vote with my wallet'; even if that might mean buying some types of DLC from them that I normally wouldn't...

PS

Did you get my PM

(about your sig)?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

gf78

That's cool, much like the Driveclub stuff being free add-ons.  But it doesn't ease my concern that in the future, this content won't be available to use when Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo decide to no longer carry it on the store.

The Witcher game are another good example of DLC done right.  Whenever they update their game, they release it as an updated version in stores taking the place of the previous version.  For those who bought-in early, the DLC is FREE.  I have a high-level of respect for a company that does that.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we have WB Games who are locking story missions behind "pre-order bonus gibberish" to play as Harley Quinn in the upcoming Arkham Knight.  Or Evolve which will have an exclusive to pre-order monster, or buy it later for $15.  Really?  REALLY????

Season passes embody all that I feel is evil & greedy in gaming now.  When Activision does it with future map packs, I can kinda get it even though I think they are obscenely overpriced.  But now there are season passes for everything.  Season pass gun packs.  Season pass costumes.  Season pass "we cut this level out of the game, but even though it's chapter 5 that was missing from the disc release, we swear it wasn't cut".  Season passes for car packs.  Season passes for fighters in a fighting game, locked away behind a paywall on the disc (looking at you Street Fighter x Tekken). 

I really never cared about exclusive retailer stuff before because it was junk like a skin for a gun in Gears of War or a different colored glow around your hand in infamous 2.  Ok, whatever.  But Arkham Knight has entire story levels that you can't play unless you get the game from Gamestop! 

As gamers and more importantly CONSUMERS, we have the collective power to change this.  To let these companies know that we are on to them.  And to not buy their garbage, forcing them to stop raking us over the coals.  I get that making games, especially "AAA" (I loathe the usage of that term now, it used to me quality and now it's a catch-all for anything with a big budget) games is expensive.  But I believe by being honest with your customers and making a quality product and not hiding part of your game under the guise of "extending your gameplay time" when in reality, it was done & there to begin with, they can make a healthy profit. 

Sony is one of the more "honest" companies along with Nintendo IMO.  I know that pretty much any Sony published game I buy will be complete.  Gran Turismo 6 has had several add-ons, but almost all of them have been free.  LittleBigPlanet has always had add-on costume packs, but it never felt like something cut from the game proper and many times were licensed characters from other series and publishers.  Ok, I can respect that as I am not missing out on any of the game's primary content.  I respect Nintendo releasing add-on content for Mario Kart 8.  That game is chock-full of content already and the DLC packs are A)  Reasonably priced and B) Contain new cars and tracks that don't reek of MONEY GRAB, MONEY GRAB! 

Ok...sorry for going on so long.  It's just nice to finally have a place to discuss these issues with likeminded individuals. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

soera

I find most DLC absolutely pointless. I have used a few (bought one of the packs on Amalur once I completed the game to give me some extra stuff to do, all the characters that were added on MK2011, one pack with Child of Light and the added chapter of Costume Quest) but those were all items that were totally unnecessary to finishing the game.

When a game releases that isnt even finishable without spending some more money on some digital crap, its BS. But the same companies that do it are the ones who have these fans that are willing to drop every cent they own for that. The company sees it as turning a $60 game into a $100 game for more profit (greedy cocksuckers) and the morons who buy every single pack for every stupid FPS dont seem to mind.

psydswipe

I think you are part of the majority on this but people must be buying DLC since it hasn't slowed down at all. I've yet to actually purchase any DLC unless Pinball FX2 tables count as DLC but I don't think they do. I've played some that was packaged on retail game of the year editions, most recently BioShock Infinite's Burial at Sea which was actually 6-8 hours between the two parts, it was kind of a like a whole game. That's likely the exception though and most of it does appear to be quick money for the publishers. However, I can understand why they do it and if it keeps games from costing any more I can almost go along with it. I don't care about bonus costumes/skins or weapons and any kind of items, it's the extra story stuff that makes me wonder if I'm missing something. It also seems like some games simply don't end so that they can sell people DLC. I just finished Far Cry 4 yesterday and I would have liked more of a conclusion, it didn't feel like the choices I made mattered. My character lied a couple times to the leader I went along with but I didn't tell him to, he just did and as far as I know there are no consequences. Maybe there will be in DLC? I likely won't be finding out. Having played through Dragon Age: Inquisition I got to hear Morrigan mention the Grey Warden's child that I know was part of Origins' DLC that I never played so I felt like I didn't have the whole story. There were a couple of Mass Effect characters that I never met either. I know I can just read about the details online or watch youtube videos but sometimes it feels like companies hold back parts of a game intentionally.

Missing out on what I feel should have been part of a game bothers me most, though I can certainly understand your point about the future and how a game on a disc can be incomplete without the ability to download the post-launch updates. Actually, anything digital does concern me. I've got some Xbox Live credit but once I use that I don't think I'll be purchasing digital games on consoles any longer. Since they aren't backwards compatible on the newer consoles I don't know what will happen to all of my XBLA games if my 360 ever breaks. I certainly can't ever get rid of the system if I want to keep my games. I have to believe a company like Microsoft will out live me so the games will always be there to download if I have a working console, though who knows. I'll stick to digital-only games on PC going forward since I figure I'll always at least have a computer to play them on.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:26:28 pm by psydswipe »

retroone

I dislike this as well because you can't retrive the DLC after the PSN or XBLive shut down. I won't be able to play Assassins Creed: Unity after the PSN is shut down unless I have the updates, I will be stuck with a broken game. This stinks because now I'm forced to binge buy all of the games I missed for the Xbox 360 before the servers shut down so I could have a finished product. This also follow for DLC as well because certain games require DLC (Destiny) to advance forward in the game!

gf78

I find most DLC absolutely pointless. I have used a few (bought one of the packs on Amalur once I completed the game to give me some extra stuff to do, all the characters that were added on MK2011, one pack with Child of Light and the added chapter of Costume Quest) but those were all items that were totally unnecessary to finishing the game.

When a game releases that isnt even finishable without spending some more money on some digital crap, its BS. But the same companies that do it are the ones who have these fans that are willing to drop every cent they own for that. The company sees it as turning a $60 game into a $100 game for more profit (greedy cocksuckers) and the morons who buy every single pack for every stupid FPS dont seem to mind.

My point exactly. It irks me to no end what is happening with Arkham Knight. I won't buy season passes. Missing out on costumes or custom gun skins means nothing to me, but story content being cut for separate sales burns me. I don't think Rocksteady made the DLC decisions for Arkham Knight, but it gnaws at me because I know it's going to be a phenomenal game otherwise.

Warmsignal

I've never downloaded a single DLC and never plan to. Whether I end up with the launch version, or the full version, I don't loose sleep over it. I'd have to be very into the game to care. I have far too many games to worry about some bonus levels, weapons, or costumes I might have missed  I never even bother buying new releases unless they are niche, so I rarely notice.

dashv

PRO Supporter

Not a fan of digital-only releases or DLC in most cases for all the reasons stated above.

I grudgingly "own" a few (like Scott Pilgrim V.S. the world) because I want the game but have no other choice.

While it's nice having games on the harddrive, faster loading, etc. It sucks when the servers go dark and you are left with nothing, or something incomplete, or broken.

devancowan

It's so weird you posted this forum because I was just contemplating buying the sunset overdrive for 9.99 and I thinking it would be so much better if they just added it to the game and charged the extra cost.

The way I see it. If something costs me 10 dollars, I want to try and get 10 hours out of it. An hour for every dollar. I realize that isn't practical in all instances but I try! I don't think that there is a DLC out there that could satisfy the amount of extra money it costs after I pay 69.99 for the game when it first came out. Spending 79.99 before taxes for a regular edition of a game is beginning to get ridiculous ahah. However.. The perfectionist I am at getting achievements makes me want it so bad. That extra 300 gamer score they add onto the total so you can't get "100 percent" unless you buy the DLC is total BS.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Mario Kart 8 DLC is sweet tough xd
amiibos are also a kind of dlc but i dont mind it because its a figurine and you can use it in more games ^^

OTHER KINDS OF DLC I NEVER BOUGHT OR WILL BUY XD
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

I am very concerned about where the industry as a whole is going. Between mobile, "free" to play games and play to win games, the abject abuse of digital content, rehashed and cut and paste games, little risks being taken, and just the blatant greed that has consumed the industry it makes you wonder where gaming will be in a few years. Luckily I've decided that even if new gaming is no longer for me I have a vast library of games to play from the past that don't possess these vices of the current generation. I have hope that things will change, but I doubt it unless the whole industry crashed again.

Most of us - as collectors - *Always* prefer having a physical copy over a digital copy; w/o even taking into consideration episodic, expansion, costumes, cameos, music, etc sorts of DLC.

Preach. Same here. I buy games during Steam sales because they're so cheap that buying a physical copy later (if I choose to) isn't problematic. You can spend a little extra on a physical copy of the game for $10 later when the digital edition is less than $3 on Steam.

But yeah, there's a lot of content that isn't going to be accessible in the future (for free, at least) because of DLC. That's why I like that games such as Borderlands have GOTY editions with all the DLC on one disc (PS3), or the content packs come complete on separate disks.

Also, the PSP is a perfect example of how relying on current technology is going to create problems down the road. Because the PSP's wifi hardware is no longer compatible with newer routers, you can't update the systems or games through a wifi connection (on a newer router). Which means games, and the system, are vanilla unless you find another way to update.

Apply this to something like Skyrim on the Xbox 360, and... well... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mario Kart 8 DLC is sweet tough xd
amiibos are also a kind of dlc but i dont mind it because its a figurine and you can use it in more games ^^

OTHER KINDS OF DLC I NEVER BOUGHT OR WILL BUY XD

I think Mario Kart 8's DLC is awesome because that was totally something Nintendo did for the fans, it's not like half of the game was missing.
It's a shame DLC has become such a huge thing I've already beat Forza Horizon 2, great game, but this advertisement for a 20 dollar dlc pack is insane, I mean the game hasn't been out that long and there is already extra bullshit!?

kashell

Like dark said, as a collector I loathe the idea of digital only titles and most DLC.

If there is a game that I really enjoy from a company that I want to support, I have no qualms with shelling out a dollar here or there for a bonus character or something. Most of my money spent on DLC is for the Tales series when they offer cameo costumes.

@soeara: Greedy and cocksucker usually don't go hand in hand. In my experience, they're usually very giving.