Author Topic: Am I the only one who dislikes the "DLC Generation" and where gaming is headed?  (Read 7648 times)

maximo310

The issue with this is that gamers (not even as much casuals as people think) are actually promoting these practices you don't like. I mean, it's like people complaining about Gamestop, but they don't start shopping in more numbers at better stores and still shop at Gamestop.

I'm pretty sure most of the regulars here use sources like Goodwill, Thrift Shops, online message boards & trading sites, and eBay. I don't think most of us frequent GameStop here.

You know good and well i was talking the majority of gamers. Not sure what context you were reading it as, people here don't like DLC that much either as much as others, but then there are others, the majority, of gamers who still do what they complain about. Which is why these practices are still useful. To publishers anyway.
Sadly, this is pretty true. Many regular gamers complain about Gamestop's practices, but they don't change their practices and still continue to buy, pre-order, trade in etc. games at Gamestop even when they've gotten screwed before. Personally, I only go to Gamestop to get deals on old stuff, thanks to the fact with the coupons I get on a regular basis, and getting games transfered to my store, but that's because they offer the best deal for my money. Just vote with your money and research game choices/pre-orders/dlc to avoid the possibility of getting ripped by publishers and gs.

dashv

PRO Supporter

Got an iPhone plus yesterday and discovered that some of my digital downloads didn't work on the new phone.

Even stranger I noticed I could download the Simpsons Arcade game (demo) but the game crashes after the loading screen and I can't load it's page in the AppStore.

After some googling I learned why:
http://help.ea.com/en/article/some-ea-games-are-being-removed-from-the-app-store/

So now I can only ever play the demo. A patch will never come and I will not be able to upgrade to the full version.

Probably because their license for the source material expired.

Lame.

I can still play Mike Tyson's Punch Out any time I want to. I just put the physical copy in my NES.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Got an iPhone plus yesterday and discovered that some of my digital downloads didn't work on the new phone.

Even stranger I noticed I could download the Simpsons Arcade game (demo) but the game crashes after the loading screen and I can't load it's page in the AppStore.

After some googling I learned why:
http://help.ea.com/en/article/some-ea-games-are-being-removed-from-the-app-store/

So now I can only ever play the demo. A patch will never come and I will not be able to upgrade to the full version.

Probably because their license for the source material expired.

Lame.

I can still play Mike Tyson's Punch Out any time I want to. I just put the physical copy in my NES.

Wow, that sucks about Simpsons. I have a cheap, $20 TracPhone that I put pre-paid minutes on. And I have The Simpsons Arcade on that and it runs great. It even has a save-feature between levels.

I don't really play many modern games, and the ones I do I usually buy the DLC when I get bored with the game, good examples are New Super Mario 2 and Mario Golf.  I don't have to worry about it disappearing though because the DLC is saved on my 3DS.  It's a good idea to have DLC if they add things later that they didn't have time to make by the release date, they could just stop and not give you anything else, but it's a nice option and fans probably appreciate it.  It does take more work if this is the case, so they would have to make money on it because they have to pay their employees.  Of course it's bull if they have everything done and don't give it to you on release though.