Author Topic: Collection Specific Badges  (Read 4053 times)

tpugmire

Re: Collection Specific Badges
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 01:39:09 pm »
... I'm sorry, but I don't like this idea. :(

scott already mentioned my main issue with this. There are LOTS of variants, too many platforms to track. It would just be a headache. Sure, it's easier over at NintendoAge since they keep tabs on a single company. They stick to the Nintendo stuff. :P

So, vote against. If you do implement it then eh. It doesn't affect me.

I'd prefer to use a manually added "Fan" badge like tpugmire mentioned above. For example, I'd get an SNK fan badge for liking SNK.

I somewhat agree with you.  I collect games, not badges, so I don't really care all that much.  I do see how other people do care though.  No matter what criteria is chosen, inevitably someone will disagree.  I look at this as a fun bonus, not something that should be taken too seriously.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

madmax

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 07:05:38 pm »
- Complete Collections get badge
- CIB complete collection get a "+"
- Sealed Complete collection get a "++"
- Complete collection can include either greatest hits or black label (or other variants)
- Compilations count as 1 game but does not count as the games inside the compilation
- Games that aren't on a game system or PC (tigerLCD) do not count
- Awards awarded for complete collection per region ([NA] [PAL] [JP])
- Spinoffs are included (FF Tactics .etc)

- Mods award badge
- Proof has to be provided

That's what I've gathered so far.

Questions.

- Unsure about remakes? (FF II [NA] and FFIV - PSP [NA] are the "same game" but the psp version has more to it... hmm)
- A threshold? I don't think a series with 3 or 4 games should really count.

scott

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 06:36:24 am »
According to what @forte was saying the way NA works it they allow "certain re-releases to replace original titles". Would that mean Final Fantasy IV for DS would replace Final Fantasy II? Or that Dragon Warrior III for GBC would replace Dragon Warrior III for NES?

@madmax I was also thinking of what a threshold would be, I was figuring something like 5 games?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

madmax

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 09:49:56 am »
I was thinking something like 10 games. Anyone can go to gamestop and buy 5 halo games. I think a series with at least 10 games is something that's been around for a while, has collecting potential and is probably not a one stop buy type of thing.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with collecting a series that has less than 10 games but if you can just go to a store and buy the whole series in one go, you aren't really putting any effort into the collection.

forte

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 10:20:34 am »
- Re-releases for a game that wasn't formally released individually. Example: Final Fantasy V. Was
 originally part of FF Anthology compilation, wasn't released individually until FF V: Advance. Therefore
  that's when it is added to the list.

That's what NA says about unreleased games - according to them, you have to wait for an official release before you can count it. I disagree; I think a release on a compilation should count, but only for the missing game. Some games, like Mega Man Battle and Chase, will NEVER get an individual release in NTSC/UC, so it's a waste of time.

I agree with a minimum of 10 games.

empovyle

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 02:06:01 pm »
This is actually a really good idea. The only problem I've seen so far is.. what if there aren't 10 or more games, but anyone can agree that they are really rare?

madmax

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 02:14:10 pm »
I dont really think that situation would come up very often. I mean if you're doing console specific stuff (Nintendo virtual boy) than you're looking at something entirely different.

I can't think of a game series with less than 10 games that has rare releases and has big collectors value.

scott

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 02:36:52 pm »
What about Suikoden? Is that only like 6 games long? Or Lunar?

forte

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »
For some reason, NA has a collection icon for EarthBound, which is just one game (although insanely expensive). They also have a requirement that you have to have 5 "extras" in addition to your collection to prove your fandom, but I find that excessive.

tpugmire

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 02:54:17 pm »
If we manually add them, we could tweak the criteria on a case by case basis.  I also like foxhack's idea about his SNK badge, but let's expand on it.  Maybe something like of you reach a certain number of games for any one system.  Or if you own every game for a system.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 03:34:52 pm »
Ya I don't see why we can't have console related badges also.  Or company based ones. We could have something llike a Working Designs badge for example.

foxhack

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 04:37:27 pm »
We should have platform badges. I think I win the Steam one by default. :p

scott

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:34 pm »
We should have platform badges. I think I win the Steam one by default. :p

I think you get a gold bordered one, good sir.

foxhack

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 06:47:54 pm »
I dont really think that situation would come up very often. I mean if you're doing console specific stuff (Nintendo virtual boy) than you're looking at something entirely different.

I can't think of a game series with less than 10 games that has rare releases and has big collectors value.

Earthbound / Mother.
Kizuna Encounter.

:P

pacpix

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 06:49:55 pm »
Do I need too collect Pac-Man arcade games too if a Pac-Man badge is made. :)  Could just having like 15 or more  games in a series count?  I made a list of every Pac-Man game and each variant and my word document was 8 pages long.  I'm pretty sure I missed some too.
20 Games for just Pac-Man not counting all the sequels...  Thats without things like sears label version of 2600 and homebrew. :/
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)