Author Topic: Do you collect games that you don't own the system for? Explain.  (Read 3927 times)

tafk

PRO Supporter

Do you collect games that you don't own the system for? Explain.
« on: February 10, 2015, 03:50:09 pm »
I for one never thought I would do this when I started collecting. It made zero sense to me. But that one fateful day when I went into Disc Replay and they had Doom for the 32X CIB behind the counter I had to have it. I still don't have that dang 32x but now I own about 4 games for systems I don't own including one SMS game I found at goodwill. Really amazing finding that. But now I wanna hear your opinions and experiences!

retroone

Re: Do you collect games that you don't own the system for? Explain.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:17:39 pm »
I understand what you mean. I own Master System and PS2 games when I don't even have a system. I hardly ever seen any Sega items around and when I do I pick them up just in case if I ever stumble upon a console for cheap. Games for the Master System rarely ever show up but when I find them I am sure to snag them up just in case if the prices ever ramp up.

devancowan

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:20:41 pm »
No I don't lol I won't buy a game if I can't play it 8)

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:51:00 pm »
I don't generally buy a game for a system I can't play it on. However, I did make an exception for Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii. xD

I can definitely see myself buying a game when I don't have the system, but that wouldn't happen often at all. But I figure that I'll buy the system eventually, so...  ::)

topspot123

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 05:24:14 pm »
I don't have a lot, but I do have games for systems I don't (yet) own.  I currently don't have an Intellivision, a 3DO, Atari 5200 or 7800, Philips CD-i, or a working Odyssey2, but I have games for each.  I figure I will eventually have these systems, especially the cartridge based ones, but it just hasn't been a priority for me. 

I have regularly bought games for newer systems I hadn't acquired yet.  I had both Rock Band and Guitar Hero III before I had my Xbox 360.  In order to help afford the GameBoy Advance, I sold my GameBoy Color months before (while it still had some value).  So when I bought the Zelda Oracle games, I had nothing to play them on.

Alternatively, there have been many systems that I bought new that I took forever to get any games for.  I got a PS2 at launch, but I don't think I got a game for it for like a year after that.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 06:00:30 pm »
Yes and no.

I do have games for consoles I do not own, mainly the NTSC Saturn and Neo Geo Pocket Color. The case with both is I plan on getting the consoles for both these platforms in the future, I just haven't yet :p

rancesama

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 06:35:01 pm »
I buy games that I don't have the "original" system for.

For example, I have a Retron 5 which allows me to play a wide range of games, including imports. I don't have a Sega Genesis in my collection at the moment, but the Retron 5 at least allows me to enjoy the games I buy.

Mainly I love it for the ability to play imports. I have a SNES and don't really want to go buy a Super Famicom. The nice thing about the Retron 5 is that I can use translation patches on physical games. That makes it easy to enjoy a lot of those Super Famicom RPGs we missed out on ... if they have a translation patch that is  ;D

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

theflea

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 07:16:04 pm »
I collected Vita games and only got a Vita system last week.
I was kinda waiting for a cool limited edition version that made the $200 price tag more worth it.
Now that I got one it's a pretty nice little system.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:17 pm »
I certainly do. I don't spend a lot of money on games, so if I find something cheap then I will buy it. This isn't necessarily to say I hoard games, because eventually they leave my collection. Either due to a general purge (I do every couple years) or trade them. The only exception to that would be things in my core collection... which is Transformers and related properties. Games that fit into that category are not in my game collection really, they are in my Transformers collection.

abe

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:46 pm »
I buy games that I don't have the "original" system for.

For example, I have a Retron 5 which allows me to play a wide range of games, including imports. I don't have a Sega Genesis in my collection at the moment, but the Retron 5 at least allows me to enjoy the games I buy.

Mainly I love it for the ability to play imports. I have a SNES and don't really want to go buy a Super Famicom. The nice thing about the Retron 5 is that I can use translation patches on physical games. That makes it easy to enjoy a lot of those Super Famicom RPGs we missed out on ... if they have a translation patch that is  ;D

Same here, I have some NES and SNES/SFC games but I only have a Retro Duo to play them on. I plan on getting the original systems to play them on eventually, but around where I live I don't often come across a whole lot of "retro" stuff for below eBay prices. I also have one PS1 game, but no PS1 to play it on. Lots of alternatives there though, since both my PS2 and PS3 can play PS1 games.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 09:04:24 pm »
I collected Vita games and only got a Vita system last week.
I was kinda waiting for a cool limited edition version that made the $200 price tag more worth it.
Now that I got one it's a pretty nice little system.

Looks like you got Sorcery Saga? Hope you're enjoying it so far! ^.^

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:37:31 pm »
I remember this topic coming up a while back, but we have new blood here :)

I do indeed purchase games for systems I don't own. I'd rather make sure that I get something now that I know I'll want eventually when I own the system. I made the mistake of not getting Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii because I was ignoring all Wii titles at the time (since I didn't own one) but regretted it later when it became rare and doubled in price.

Better to get a game that I will still want later, especially if there's the risk that it will become rare. The systems I can always get another day. Or get a nice limited edition console or bundle down the line. The consoles will always eventually drop in price or allow for a skip in generation (like the Wii U).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:00:50 pm »
I wouldn't say I collect them, but I have a handful of games and no system to play on. Some were gifts and others were because I liked the series. Then there's a couple that I saw in stores for extremely cheap and just couldn't pass up. :D (Nuon DVD Player, Sega Master System, Nintendo 64)

The only exception would probably be the Gameboy player on the Gamecube. I never bought a Gameboy other than the DS and just realized while typing this...the DS plays GBA games. MAN!!!! that was a huge oversight. If I only knew... LMAO!! It was more of a gift for the wife anyway. She wanted the Brain Age games.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 10:04:31 pm »
Own a bunch of japanese n64 games but not the console. They work perfectly find on my american system anyways  8)

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:13:41 pm »
I don't have a Game Gear, but I have two Sonic games for it, I have Genesis games, but no working Genesis, mostly just Sonic and Ecco games.  Kinda it I think.  I try to mostly just focus on stuff I have the system for, though I don't particularly go back to play a lot of my old games.