Author Topic: 52 games in 2015 - VGCollect Edition  (Read 40976 times)

karyann

Re: 52 games in 2015 - VGCollect Edition
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2015, 04:16:50 pm »
1. Shovel Knight (Steam) Beat Main Quest Completed, Only 11 Achievements left to go
2. The Walking Dead Season 2 (PS4) Completed Another amazing Telltale game. Just wish I played the first game in the series.
3. Mega Man 2 (NES) Completed Glad to finally get this one of my chest.
4. Sonic Riders (GameCube) Beat Beat for an upcoming review. This game is terrible don't play it.
5. Metal Torrent (DSi Ware) Beat Metal Torrent is a VERY short shooter with 8 phases lasting 3 minutes each. 
6. The Playroom (PS4) Completed Very enjoyable game that needs more content. Trophy Progress 100%

*Added The Playroom (PS4)

I didn't think about it, but it's true that it's a few games. Now that I have a second controller, I think I'll try to 100% it! Thanks for the idea :)  and congrats!

retroone

« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2015, 11:30:28 am »
1. Shovel Knight (Steam) Beat Main Quest Completed, Only 11 Achievements left to go
2. The Walking Dead Season 2 (PS4) Completed Another amazing Telltale game. Just wish I played the first game in the series.
4. Sonic Riders (GameCube) Beat Beat for an upcoming review. This game is terrible don't play it.
5. Metal Torrent (DSi Ware) Beat Metal Torrent is a VERY short shooter with 8 phases lasting 3 minutes each. 
6. The Playroom (PS4) Completed Very enjoyable game that needs more content. Trophy Progress 100%

*Added The Playroom (PS4)

I didn't think about it, but it's true that it's a few games. Now that I have a second controller, I think I'll try to 100% it! Thanks for the idea :)  and congrats!
No problem! The Playroom is very enjoyable to play and you shouldn't have any trouble with the 100%.

argyle

« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2015, 11:43:13 am »
I'm behind in updating my list! :D

01. Peggle 2 - PS4 - Story Mode finished on 1/2/15
I am a Peggle fiend, it's one of my guilty pleasures. There's just something mesmerizing about watching that little ball bounce around on the pegs. :P

02. Far Cry 4 - PS4 - Platinum'd on 1/18/15
My GOTY for last year, and after thoroughly finishing it I stand by that. Great game. :)

03. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS - Finished on 1/23/15
Eh, it's a 2D Mario. Fun, but the latest Rayman games are the kings of 2D platformers as far as I'm concerned.

04. Deathsmiles - 360 - 1/29/15
SHMUP w/ a ridiculously insane story. Was pretty short to blow through w/ unlimited lives - without them I wouldn't have had a prayer, some of the later levels are insanely difficult.

05. Rogue Legacy - PS4
Fantastic game, I enjoyed every minute of it! Finished with a time of 24:22, but I may mess around with it a little more - we'll see. Perfect difficulty curve balanced with a great feeling of progression. NOT A ROGUE-LIKE THO!!! :P

06. The Order: 1886 - PS4
Gameplay was average on this one - not bad, but hardly inspired. The lycan fights were not fun IMO, and that's both the standard ones and the boss fight ones. Gunplay felt good minus an iffy cover system, but they should have been much more experimental with their weapons - the phosphor gun and lightning gun were fun, but I wanted more like that. That said, the game is gorgeous and it has an excellent story with great voice acting and some insanely good facial animation. I've talked to some who didn't like the story, so just be aware that this is very much setting up a franchise and they are not going to answer every question or address every point/relationship by the end of the game. Overall, I'd say the game was good, not great. But it's a very promising start to a franchise.  One more thing, if you're going for the plat (which is very easy to get) follow a collectible guide as you play. Collectibles are handled very poorly - only one of the 4 types are tracked and they aren't removed from the game when you find them, so if you miss some it's hard to figure out exactly which ones you missed.

07. Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Cury God - I have to say I really enjoyed this game. Very light-hearted breezy rogue-like. Great characters, very funny and the dungeon crawling gameplay was fun except for a few nit-picks. My main issue is that Kuu, your companion that follows you around the dungeons, learns his abilities randomly after the first dungeon. Being a rogue-like, he of course forgets them all when you leave a dungeon which would be ok except for the random part. Since only a few of his abilities are actually useful (he's generally useless as a fighting companion since he does minimal damage and really just gets in the way more than anything) you end up getting pointless abilities far more often than the ones you really need. What you want is his ability to carry 8 items, which is the only way to expand your inventory, his ability to identify items you pickup & his ability to let you combine items while in a dungeon (otherwise, you can only do this in town). I never got the combine ability after the first tutorial dungeon and I rarely got the other two.

The only other minor negative I'll point out is that the goals for the plat are absolutely ridiculous. Not in a "wow, that's hard" kind of way, but in a "that's an insane amount of time to invest in this game" way. As an example, after I beat the game (not having played the bonus dungeon that opens up after the credits roll) I had killed just shy of 1,500 monsters according to the in-game records. There is a trophy for killing 10,000 monsters. :o  Yeeeeaaaahhh....no. :P

08. Tennis in the Face - This was a surprisingly fun little puzzle game! I picked it up in the PSN Flash Sale last weekend for under a buck, and I definitely got my money's worth. You & the enemies are in fixed positions on a one-screen board. Your goal is to knock out all of the enemies w/ tennis balls, using as few as possible. To do so you have to angle the ball & use a fair bit of brains to figure out how to get the job done. There were a ton of levels - probably in the neighborhood of 100 - but the game still went relatively fast. I'd say I put in around 5 hours this week to gold all of the levels & get all of the trophies.

09. Bloodborne - That's right, Bloodborne is beaten! ;D I didn't do all the optional bosses, so I didn't get the "good" ending, but I'm pretty proud to have finished my first "Souls" game. Looking forward to playing some less-intense stuff for a while now. ;)  Fantastic game tho, will definitely be in my top 5 of the year.

10. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Played through this one, again. :P I've lost count of how many times that makes, but I think it's safe to say that it's easily the game I've played through the most times from start to finish. Soooooo good. :D

11. Dracula X Chronicles - I've actually never beaten this game before. Heck, I don't even think I've seriously played it (dabbled with it, yes). I usually don't enjoy the more "traditional" Castlevania games, but this one was a lot of fun. I got the bad ending, not sure if I want to replay it right away to go for the good ending or move to something else & come back later - leaning towards the latter.

12. Bust-A-Move Deluxe - Or as I insist on calling it, Puzzle Bobble (its Japanese name that makes MUCH more sense). This is one of my guilty pleasure games, I own several versions of it on different platforms. This one was fun, I completed VS. mode & then Classic Puzzle mode - after which the credits rolled, so I'm calling that beaten. ;) I had one complaint - you couldn't lower the volume on the music or turn it off, and it had about 4 12-second loops it played during the 300-board puzzle mode I played through. :o Needless to say, that got a LITTLE annoying.

13. Mortal Kombat X - Finished the story mode. Glad I bought this one used and I'm still within my 1 week grace period at GS, because it's going back today. I like to watch other people play this game more than I enjoy playing it myself. Never was a big MK guy, I think part of the problem is that the button inputs don't match up with the animations - you have to input the commands quickly & just watch them play out. Very unintuitive for me. Plus maybe it was just me, but I found this story mode dull compared to the one in MK9 or especially the one in Injustice. Oh well, at least they finally made Raiden bad-ass again. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

argyle

« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2015, 05:31:28 pm »
14. Steamworld: The Dig - I tried this game out when it was a PS+ freebie and after about 30 mins I had seen enough. I told some friends that all you do is dig, and they said "oh no, you didn't play it enough - you need to give it more time!"  OK, so when I got it as part of the Wii U / 3DS Humble Bundle last week I decided to give it a good go on the 3DS. Played all the way through it. Aaaaand...all you do is dig. Seriously, you dig down to get money to buy upgrades so you can dig further down. It's glorified Dig Dug. If DD's your bag you'll probably love it. But it wasn't for me.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

retroone

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2015, 03:09:10 pm »
7. Super Exploding Zoo (PSN) Completed Very fun puzzle game that can be completed in a few hours. First Platinum! Trophy Progress 100%
8. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition Completed Simply put, it's Minecraft. Very fun and addictive. Trophy Progress 100%

*Added Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:37:25 am by retroone »

« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2015, 10:17:34 pm »
GAME 17 - South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC) - 13 hours FINISHED
Slightly shorter than I expected, even for general completion (Not gonna do all those ridiculous achievements lol), but overall was goofy and wild, just like South Park usually is.  Glad I didn't buy it when it released with how short it was, but definitely worth grabbing on a sale.

karyann

« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2015, 06:42:13 pm »
I had seen threads for beaten games, but just "played" games is a great idea too! Especially since a lot of older games don't really have an end. I'll split my list into 2:

Beaten:
01/?? - Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
02/15 - The Legend of Zelda (3DS virtual console)
02/22 - Link's Awakening (GB)
03/14 - Minish Cap (3DS virtual console)
03/28 - Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
03/?? - Mousecraft (PS4)
04/24 - Persona 4: Golden (Vita)
04/26 - Tearaway (Vita)
05/24 - Touch My Katamari (Vita)
06/13 - The Playroom (PS4)
06/22 - Splatoon (Wii U)

Played/playing:
Tomodachi Life (3DS)
NES Remix (Wii U)
NES Remix II (Wii U)
Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (PS4)
Fortune Street (Wii)
Pokémon Art Academy (3DS)
htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
Super Smash Brothers (3DS/Wii U)
Pokémon Rumble World (3DS)
Lego The Hobbit (PS4)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)

Total beaten/played: 11/23

Just updated my list, as I cleared Splatoon (single player/story mode) yesterday!  ;D I also "beat" The Playroom last week.

« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2015, 12:48:12 am »
GAME 18 - Batman: Arkham Knight (PC) - 30 hours FINISHED
Issues with the PC port aside for those that were unable to play, I really liked the game.  In some ways, I think it's way better than Arkham City, such as the inclusion of the Batmobile, the bigger city, and combat is just a straight up improvement.  The downsides would be that some of the boss fights weren't all that great and there seemed like a definite lack of really interesting villain uses.  There's no Bane/Killer Croc type of fight and there's someone else you fight towards the end that is a villain from before that you fought, but this time you just fight an easier version of a boss battle you did before in the batmobile.  That and some story elements are abit underwhelming, but of the trilogy for Rocksteady, it's a good end.  Still need to 100% the story, which is gonna take awhile cause of the Riddler stuff, to get the true ending.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:54:28 am by kamikazekeeg »

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2015, 09:54:12 am »
Man some of you guys finishing these games weeks after they come out. Too crazy.

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2015, 02:48:33 pm »
Man some of you guys finishing these games weeks after they come out. Too crazy.

I have a lot of free time right now lol

telly

« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:22 am »
Beat some more games that I had started/ weren't that long haha

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - This game was pretty fun. Like the first game, the gameplay is superb and it's made even better from the first one with the fitting room/ more jobs. The graphics and soundtrack were also really good. The story wasn't as good, though. Was a little shallow to me but still an enjoyable game. The gameplay and broad ability to customize your character makes it worth it.

Silent Hill 3 - I started this a while ago but never finished it until now. I thought the gameplay, music and atmosphere were superb, even improved upon from SH2. Playing it on normal mode was the perfect difficulty. It was the right mix of nervous, difficult fighting but was never too hard so that I could't continue. I never really liked the story of both this game or SH1 though, but I still thought this was a great game. I will definitely try to play this game again on hard mode some time.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - This game was not good in my opinion. Super short, awful story, anything that wasn't a cut scene was glitchy and felt rushed. Really felt like a total cash-in to me, But I guess being a short game did make it easier to beat. Some of the challenges were also kind of fun. I'd give it a miss though

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - I only have this one and THPS2, but I prefer this one honestly. The controls are a lot better and not having a time limit is nice. I'm counting this as beaten even though there isn't a story because I unlocked all the stages, even the secret ones.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:13:57 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2015, 09:17:49 am »
Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/768312-lord-of-magna-maiden-heaven/reviews/review-160820

This was somewhat of a let down. I'm glad XSeed brought it over and I'm glad I played it, but I was hoping for something more than what the finished product delivered.

Aside: Near the end of the year, I'll go through my old posts and see how many games I've played/finished/reviewed/etc.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2015, 10:44:27 am »
Man I need to update this sometime soon. I went on vacation and completed about 3 handheld games  :o

telly

« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:42 am »
Man I need to update this sometime soon. I went on vacation and completed about 3 handheld games  :o

Yeah I was just on vacation too with a 14 hour drive and was able to put in the hours to finish FF Tactics A2
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

karyann

« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2015, 07:04:37 pm »
I updated my list again, as I just cleared Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box! The story took an unexpected turn once again, and I loved it :)