Author Topic: 52 games in 2015 - VGCollect Edition  (Read 40977 times)

telly

Re: 52 games in 2015 - VGCollect Edition
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2015, 07:10:39 pm »
I updated my list again, as I just cleared Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box! The story took an unexpected turn once again, and I loved it :)

That's cool! Does it matter which Professor Layton game you start with? I've wanted to play them but I don't know which one to try and play first  :o
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

karyann

« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2015, 07:43:11 pm »
I updated my list again, as I just cleared Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box! The story took an unexpected turn once again, and I loved it :)

That's cool! Does it matter which Professor Layton game you start with? I've wanted to play them but I don't know which one to try and play first  :o

I've only played 2 of them, but I don't think it matters much. The only difference it makes is that you won't know yet the story of some characters that appear in earlier games, but it doesn't seem to hinder the story at all :)

telly

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2015, 07:54:05 pm »

I've only played 2 of them, but I don't think it matters much. The only difference it makes is that you won't know yet the story of some characters that appear in earlier games, but it doesn't seem to hinder the story at all :)

Ahh I see. I think I'll add the 1st game to my radar for later! Thanks! :D
Currently Playing:

« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2015, 09:11:21 pm »
Here's what I've played in order this year (what I can remember!)

--

Pokemon Red (Game Boy)
   Started the year with an itch for retro. This game is still addictive after all these years.

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (PlayStation 4)
   Never played a DOA game before. I couldn't really figure the controls out to definitively know what I was doing.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 (PlayStation Vita)
   Amusing dialogue and setting, but the storyline was confusing for me to wrap my head around.

China Warrior (TurboGrafx 16)
   Not sure why this game gets such flak. My first time playing it and I had a great time. Cool music too.

Salamander (PC Engine)
   Amazing soundtrack, my all time favorite shooter. Still more partial to the NES version though. Epilepsy inducing enemies are annoying.

Chew Man Fu (TurboGrafx 16)
   Fun little action puzzle game.

Burning Angels (PC Engine)
   Vertical shooter. Pretty difficult overall, but nice visuals.

Bloodborne (PlayStation 4)
   Awesome upgrade to the Souls fighting style, but low on weapon types and character build customization. Not as good online interaction.

Dark Souls 2 (PlayStation 4)
   Good upgrade to the PS3 version. Some people hate it, but I love DS2. It's just a joy to play.

Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System)
   Never played this before, but it's a great Zelda 1 clone. Seriously, it has Like-Likes, Wizzrobes, Moblins, Bats, Stalfos, and lots of other Zelda enemies. :)

Golvellius (Sega Master System)
   An odd action RPG that shifts from side-scroller, overhead, and vertical perspectives. I had fun with it though.

The Legend of Zelda (NES)
   After Golden Axe Warrior, had to replay this one. The game is still fantastic.

Ninja Gaiden (Sega Master System)
   It's a faster paced, clunkier game compared to the NES ones. Enemies often move at lightning unavoidable speed.

My Hero (Sega Master System)
   Possibly the most difficult game ever made? Control is really good though.

Rollergames (NES)
   How did I live so long without ever playing this?? It's like Double Dragon on rollerskates! Insanely difficult, but great fun.

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven (Nintendo 3DS)
   Strategy RPG involving an inn keeper and a bunch of random heroines. Seems okay, still gotta get further into it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:14:32 pm by zenimus »

kashell

« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2015, 11:29:07 am »
Atelier Shallie: Alchemist of the Dusk Sea

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/778830-atelier-shallie-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea/reviews/review-160838

That was such a great game. Only ten more reviews to write and I'll hit 400.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:44:03 am by kashell »

retroone

« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:10 pm »
1. Shovel Knight (Steam) Beat Main Quest Completed.
2. The Walking Dead Season 2 (PS4) Completed Another amazing Telltale game. Just wish I played the first game in the series.
3. Mega Man 2 (NES) Completed Glad to finally get this one of my chest.
4. Sonic Riders (GameCube) Beat Beat for an upcoming review. This game is terrible don't play it.
5. Metal Torrent (DSi Ware) Beat Metal Torrent is a VERY short shooter with 8 phases lasting 3 minutes each. 
6. The Playroom (PS4) Completed Very enjoyable game that needs more content. Trophy Progress 100%
7. Super Exploding Zoo (PSN) Completed Very fun puzzle game that can be completed in a few hours. First Platinum! Trophy Progress 100%
8. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (PS4) Completed Simply put, it's Minecraft. Very fun and addictive. Trophy Progress 100%
9. Altered Beast (Genesis) Beat The Arcade version was better.
10. Altered Beast (Arcade) Beat WAY better than the Genesis version although the ending was a disappointment.

*Added Altered Beast (Arcade/Genesis)

« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2015, 11:34:49 pm »
GAME 19 - Dragon Ball Xenoverse - 9 Hours Playing
While I think the concept for Xenoverse is awesome, having lots of basically "What if?" type setups and moments and the customization is pretty great, I just don't think the combat is super great.  I feel like I'm constantly getting just destroyed too often.  For one, the difficulty is pretty smooth through the story and then suddenly you hit Majin Buu and its crazy and then it just gets harder and harder and it's frustrating to have to stop story mode cause I have to go grind out my character in the offline battles.  I also feel like I don't truly understand the gameplay.  It's like I have most of it, but then there are times where I can't dodge, despite having plenty of stamina, and I don't see the point of blocking other than to deflect homing energy blasts and the block is so delayed.  It never feels all that smooth.  Better than most recent DBZ games and it's not terrible, but I have to imagine there's a better way.  Man, Platinum really needs to make a DBZ game I think lol
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:59:25 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2015, 07:19:19 pm »
GAME 20 - How To Survive: Third Person Standalone (PC) - 11 Hours FINISHED
It's a budget zombie action survival game that is a spinoff of the original game in a third person view.  From what I understand, it's just a camera change and tweak from that one, but never played.  It's basically a 10 dollar zombie killing game and that's all it is.  There's 4 characters you can play through as in story and some side stuff, but I had my fill with the one character I beat it with.  I can't imagine replaying will add much.  If you can get it on a steam sale for like 5 bucks or less, it's a time waster, but it's not too bad.  I wouldn't recommend it over State of Decay though.  That one is much better put together for a budget zombie game.

« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2015, 10:21:14 pm »
GAME 21 - Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - 8 Hours FINISHED
It's more Saints Row 4 lol It's basically that game with a hell coating and some new story.  For the price it was at the time, it wasn't bad and it's definitely worth whatever you'll get it at now, especially on sales, if you like that over the top stuff.  Overall it's not anything impressive outside of a few minutes, but it's goofy fun.  I think even I am kind of burnt out on this style of Saints Row and hope if they come back to it, they just reboot the whole damn thing and go back to more of what the series originally was about.  It needs a pretty serious overhaul, especially now that GTAV is out and it's a massive experience.

rachel

« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2015, 05:47:07 am »
Updated my original post with Kirby's Adventure (NES on Wii U) and Pop Cutie! Street Fashion Simulator (DS on 3DS). Pop Cutie! is an underrated DS gem; if you want to learn a little more about the game, I wrote a review that you can read here: http://www.femicom.org/blog/popcutietxt-is-a-bot-that-tweets-fashion-advice-from-a-nintendo-ds-game/.

I'm up to 8 games completed, putting me on track for about one game per month. Nice!

telly

« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2015, 09:58:58 am »
Game #16 - Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor (XBOne)

Really enjoyed this game -

+ The gameplay was excellent, the story wasn't to complicated but still was interesting, and I liked trying to find all the collectibles in the game (didn't find them all, stopped at 81% complete.). The world was also the perfect size and fun to traverse.

- My only three gripes were that sometimes it's hard to navigate across buildings and jump down onto things in the way that you want to. Also, the controls are quite complicated and it may take a while to re-learn them if you need to put the game down for a while. Furthermore, I didn't find Talion as the most interesting character out there - was a just little bland to me. I still think he was a good character though. Overall, great game :)

Game #17 - Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)

A game I was playing here and there on the side. I'm counting it as beaten personally because I unlocked all the characters and did all the event stages. I think the only thing I needed to do was unlock all the stages and trophies, but I see that as more for completing the game.
In any event, this is a great game - you all know that, I don't think there was really anything negative that I have to say about it. :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:20:57 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

kashell

« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2015, 01:09:15 pm »

retroone

« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2015, 04:15:51 pm »
1. Shovel Knight (Steam) Beat Main Quest Completed.
2. The Walking Dead Season 2 (PS4) Completed Another amazing Telltale game. Just wish I played the first game in the series.
3. Mega Man 2 (NES) Completed Glad to finally get this one of my chest.
4. Sonic Riders (GameCube) Beat This game is terrible don't play it.
5. Metal Torrent (DSi Ware) Beat Metal Torrent is a VERY short shooter with 8 phases lasting 3 minutes each. 
6. The Playroom (PS4) Completed Very enjoyable game that needs more content. Trophy Progress 100%
7. Super Exploding Zoo (PSN) Completed Very fun puzzle game that can be completed in a few hours. First Platinum! Trophy Progress 100%
8. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (PS4) Completed Simply put, it's Minecraft. Very fun and addictive. Trophy Progress 100%
9. Altered Beast (Genesis) Beat The Arcade version was better.
10. Altered Beast (Arcade) Beat WAY better than the Genesis version although the ending was a disappointment.
11. MouseCraft (PSN) Completed Just another mediocre puzzle game. Trophy Progress 100%
12. Rocket League (PSN) Completed Man this game is simply amazing, truly a blast to play. Trophy Progress 100%

*Added Rocket League (PSN)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:14:24 pm by retroone »

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2015, 08:17:27 pm »
GAME 22 - Action Henk (PC) - 3 to 4 hours FINISHED
A small game, but it's surprisingly fun.  It's basically like Sonic mixed with Trials and it gets damn hard like Trials.  I'd honestly recommend it if you like these types of games, basically "Runners", though it takes a long time to figure out the motion physics for building up speed.  A few spots I got to in the last levels require such PERFECT amounts of speed or you will not win and they are so frustrating as you try to figure out why you can't get the speed you need lol

telly

« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2015, 12:35:47 am »
Game 18 - Mega Man 2 (PS2)

Finally beat this game! It wasn't so bad once you get the pattern and know how to go through the bosses, but it does take a lot of trial end error to find out which weapon works on which boss. My plan is to go through all of the classic Mega Man games on the Anniversary collection, so now it's on to Mega Man 3!
Currently Playing: