Author Topic: Android/IOS tablet/phone games?  (Read 2128 times)

gf78

Android/IOS tablet/phone games?
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:32:14 pm »
Just curious if the idea for Android and/or IOS games has ever been bounced around here?  I know that "phone games are the devil Bobby Bouchette" but there are some decent games to be had.  There are also a significant number of tie-in games for their console counterparts such as Knack and LittlebigPlanet.

There are a number of high quality games that I have bought like Republique, Bastion and the Wolf Among Us.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Android/IOS tablet/phone games?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:39:48 pm »
Just curious if the idea for Android and/or IOS games has ever been bounced around here?  I know that "phone games are the devil Bobby Bouchette" but there are some decent games to be had.  There are also a significant number of tie-in games for their console counterparts such as Knack and LittlebigPlanet.

There are a number of high quality games that I have bought like Republique, Bastion and the Wolf Among Us.

Hitman GO was on sale at the humble store. Would've picked it up if I had an android tablet. I've been interested in trying it.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:47:26 pm »
I only play Clash of Clans.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

retroone

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:58:28 pm »
Trivia Crack is impossible to put down. I do also enjoy a couple rounds of Sonic Dash or Crossy Road.

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »
It was decided a long time ago that we wouldn't be cataloging these. There's just too many games out there, too many places to get them, and many get pulled from the stores and are never seen again. It would be extremely difficult to catalog them.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

gf78

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:18:23 pm »
It was decided a long time ago that we wouldn't be cataloging these. There's just too many games out there, too many places to get them, and many get pulled from the stores and are never seen again. It would be extremely difficult to catalog them.

Thanks for answering that. Very understandable given how wide-open the marketplace is. I just haven't been here very long and didn't know any specifics on the decision to or not to include them.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

devancowan

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:28:56 pm »
Only Clash of Clans for me as well! Iv been playing it for far to long. Over a year and a half!  :o

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:36:21 pm »

I understand the logic, but it would be nice to have this decision reconsidered.

1. I don't look at this site as a complete list of all video games because we all know that might never come to fruition. It has even been posted in the past that we should only really be creating new games in the database if we own the games in our own collections.

2. I see the mobile games category as something that would look similar to the interactive figures category or the PC category. This way we don't have each phone operating system becoming it's own system.

3. Digital games on each system (Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony) along with Steam have started disappearing and have from the start. All digital games are going to vanish at some point. I don't think we should not include any of them due to their limited lifespan. People who use the database still own and play these games and will in the future.

Just some talking points in case you guys can be persuaded! This is the one aspect of this site that bums me because I would love to have these games I play in my online collection also.

Thanks for reading!
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 01:08:05 pm »
Sorry for the double post, but I also forgot to bring up the fact that the gaming market is really starting to branch between big budget console games and mobile gaming.

Now I don't like that the gaming market is going that way. I actually own very few mobile games and still prefer to use a 3DS, Vita, or even Game Gear for my mobile gaming. Yet that is the way things are trending.

Just in the past month we have seen Sega go heavily in to mobile gaming (even making it look like all Sega IP's are at risk of console games becoming slowly obsolete). Also Tri-Ace was just bought by a mobile company and analysts believe they will start to focus primarily on mobile gaming experiences.

A lot of analysts believe that 2015 could be the year that mobile gaming surpasses dedicated console gaming. Although a sad state of affairs (imo) it is the nature of where gaming is going currently. Seems like we would want to capture some of those games in the database.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 06:57:15 pm »
Just to offer my perspective as someone who's been trying to move his collection over to digital the past few years, it's difficult to remember which platform I have a game on.  I can't just look over at my shelf anymore and see what's there.  It's mostly what got me investigating collection websites.  There's a lot of "real" games that have definitive ports on mobile devices (I prefer pretty much anything turn based on my iPad).  It'd just be nice to have to only manage one VG collection website than having to use a separate for IOS games (and the website isn't as good!).

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

gf78

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:51:53 am »
I get the point that there are so many "fly-by-night" companies that churn out a turd and it disappears from the app store at any time.  But there are also a great number of developers who release many titles.

Square-Enix
Rovio
Gamevil
Disney
Sony
Sega
EA
Activision

These guys (and many more) put multiple games out that stick around and some of them are actually good.  How about those great Rayman running games?  Nintendo is getting ready to enter the fray in a big way as well and Microsoft has put some good stuff out. 

dlundh

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 03:53:45 am »
I'm new here, hi!  :)

I was looking for Android/iOS actegories, did a search and ended up here.

I, too, would like it reconsidered. I recently saw the light (if you will) when I got Dariusburst SP. It is a seriously good shooter on the iOS. These games deserve to be counted and catalogued, and what better place to do it but here?

Sure, games will appear and disappear on smartphone platforms, but at one point they were available and hopefully played and loved.

I respect your decision either way, just my 2 cents.