Author Topic: How did you find VGCollect?  (Read 9328 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: How did you find VGCollect?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 01:21:15 am »
I was using excel for making my game lists, and I  didn't think it was working too well. So, after some google searching, and multiple failed attempts to sign up here, I finally broke through and made my  collecting database home here.

I we're all glad ya did! :)

amauriel

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 10:45:22 am »
I was also recruited from reddit's /r/gamecollecting long ago. I remember when I had to add about every game in my collection to the database (especially my Japanese imports). This place has grown so much and gotten so much better, and the community is the only one I've ever left for an extended period and missed so much I returned (although I can't be as active as I once was).

VGCollect (and especially these forums) is a pretty special place!
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

Warmsignal

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 10:55:18 am »
I used to catalog my games over at a site called RF Generation. When I first came here, it was out of desperation to get away from that place because the site was constantly sluggish and being hacked to the point that it was going offline regularly (who hacks a VG cataloging site?). So I Googled an alternative, signed up, and even alluded to this in my introduction post here, to which I recall nobody had any idea what website I was talking about. For the record, it was RF Generation.

Wasn't sure I'd go through with re-cataloging everything, but eventually did anyway and here we are now.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 12:03:24 pm »
That's actually a pretty funny story. 

I was in this dirty bar in OKC.  Up walked a gentleman and introduced himself as soera.  I offered to buy me a drink.  Being the cheap bastard that I am, of course I let him.  He was nice and said all the right things, but I'm not that kind of fella. I started feeling a little tipsy.  I'm not really sure where things went after that.    :-\

Well next thing I know, I'm waking up in a hotel bathtub filled with ice and a login to VGCollect.com

In reality, I was looking for an app for my old android phone.  I downloaded it and put it to use for a little while.  Then, I needed more and hopped into the mix here. 

rancesama

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 12:58:54 pm »
The Metal Jesus of course!

"Hi guys, I'm The Metal Jesus and I'm back again."

Love that he starts off nearly every video with the same line  ;D

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

insektmute

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 02:28:44 pm »
I've known ko1ru for a few years now, and she sent me a ping to check it out, thinking it'd be a good replacement for another site we both used to be on. Made some cool friends here, and it remains the only gaming site I post on.

retroone

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 04:06:54 pm »
In reality, I was looking for an app for my old android phone.  I downloaded it and put it to use for a little while.  Then, I needed more and hopped into the mix here.
Same here. Aside from NES Hunter the VGCollect app was the only (and best) collection app that supports multiple systems.

deftommo

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 01:42:45 pm »
Metal Jesus! He rocks.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 02:04:51 pm »
Metal Jesus! He rocks.

And it's Friday! New MetalJesusRocks video today!

desocietas

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2015, 02:31:47 pm »
I started to feel the need a few years back to have a list of my backlog and such.  I had heard about backloggery and signed up, but the site was so backwards ("why are all these people manually typing in the titles of their games?! The site could just have an item record and people check that item off to indicate whatever they want to indicate" I said to myself) that I backed out very quickly and headed off to Google.

Googling something like "video game collection" or something like that got me to this site, and I loved how clean and simple it was.  Also, the forum folks were super nice and open to thoughts on the site as it was still growing.

Here we are, almost 4 years later (!!!), and I'm still loving the site.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

retroone

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 03:37:23 pm »
Metal Jesus! He rocks.

And it's Friday! New MetalJesusRocks video today!
All Aboard the Hype Train!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 02:06:20 pm »
Really enjoying everyones stories.

I'd also like to thank Turf for involuntarily donating me his kidneys and the Soera for the rock bottom prices he charged me for installation!

soera

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 03:58:01 pm »
It was nothing.  8)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 10:09:28 am »
Dialysis isn't so bad. You're welcome.

jsoup

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:24 am »
I believe Kitsune Sniper/foxhack posted a link to here in a DP topic.
Like, I made the account back when the site first went public and then didn't really post anything until recently.

... I think matt or scott made the first post about it at DP. I don't recall doing anything to promote the site other than my signature.

If you say so, I honestly don't remember. Might have been your sig, which is why you're sticking out in my mind for this.